This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Objective: To determine the etiology of fatigue in prostate cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy (RT).
Methods: Thirteen prescreened men (60 to 76 years in age, 58 to 130kg in body weight) were evaluated for neuromuscular fatigue (NMF) of the tibialis anterior (TA) muscle, cardiopulmonary fatigue (CPF), and psychological-subjective fatigue (PSF) at 1 to 2 weeks before RT (Pre), at the end of 8 weeks of RT (RT), and at 5 to 6 weeks after completion of RT (Post).
Outcome Measures: For NMF, the TA muscle was fatigued by sustained isometric contraction at 80% of maximum voluntary contraction for 60 seconds on a force dynamometer. Neuromuscular efficiency (NME) expressed as a ratio of isometric force (in Newtons) and respective integrated electromyograms were measured. For CPF, stress testing was performed on a treadmill using the modified Bruce protocol. Piper Fatigue Scale, Beck Depression Inventory, and Epworth Sleepiness Scale were administered to evaluate PSF.
Data Analysis: Paired t tests, single factor analysis of variance, and nonparametric analysis.
Results: At RT, there was a significant decline in NME of TA at the beginning (18.4%, p < .01) and the end (29.2%, p < .001) of sustained muscle contraction for 60 seconds. Post values were lower but nonsignificant in comparison with Pre values. NME recovered within 5 to 6 weeks after RT. No abnormalities were detected in CPF or PSF. No correlation was found between the decline in NME and psychological status of the patients.
Conclusion: Results provide definitive evidence of transient decline in NME in prostate cancer patients at the completion of RT. The effect seems to be specific for neuromuscular performance alone and is independent of the cardiovascular or psychological status of the patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Addressing the psychological needs of conservatively treated breast cancer patients.J R Soc Lond. 1987; 80: 696-700
- Late injury to muscle and peripheral nerves.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1995; 31: 1309-1318
- Fatigue syndrome due to localized radiation.J Pain Symptom Manage. 1992; 7: 38-45
- Patients' description of the experience of receiving radiation therapy.Oncol Nurs Forum. 1985; 12: 55-61
- Fatigue mechanism in cancer patients: developing nursing theory.Oncol Nurs Forum. 1987; 14: 17-23
- Effect of radiation therapy on isokinetic and isometric neuromuscular efficiency in prostate cancer patients [abstract].Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1995; 76: 1035
- Effect of radiation therapy on muscular performance in prostate cancer patients [abstract].in: First Mediterranean Congress of PM&R, 1996 May 12–16; Herzliya, Israel First Mediterranean Congress of PM&R, Herzliya, Israel1996: 146
- Muscle structure and function.in: Nicogossian A Huntoon C Pool S Space physiology and medicine. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia1993: 317-326
- Manual for staging of cancer. Lippincott, Philadelphia1992 4th ed.
- Long term curative results of radiotherapy of patients with inoperable prostatic carcinoma.Radiology. 1979; 131: 291-297
- Relationship between integrated EMG (IEMG) and isometric force output of extensor carpiradialis longus (ECRL) muscle in normal female subjects.in: Harris BA Siconolfi SF Workshop on countering space adaptation with exercise: Current issues:, 1989 Sept 26–28; Houston (TX) NASA, Houston (TX)1989: 232
- Muscle membrane excitation and impulse propagation velocity are reduced during muscle fatigue.Muscle Nerve. 1986; 9: 367-374
- Influence of brief isometric training on isometric and isokinetic strength of the human quadriceps muscle.in: Space Life Science Symposium:, 1987 June 21–26; Washington (DC) NASA, Houston (TX)1987: 91-92
- Neuromuscular adaptations during 30 days of cast-immobilization and head-down bedrest.J Gravit Physiol. 1995; 2: 76P-77P
- Exercise testing for evaluation of ventricular function.N Engl J Med. 1977; 296: 671-675
- Effect of propranolol on myocardial oxygen consumption and its hemodynamic correlates during upright exercise.Circulation. 1973; 48: 1173-1182
- Hemodynamic correlates of myocardial oxygen consumption during up-right exercise.J Appl Physiol. 1972; 32: 516-522
- Hemodynamic predictors of myocardial oxygen consumption during static and dynamic exercise.Circulation. 1974; 50: 1179-1189
- An inventory of measuring depression.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1961; 4: 561-571
- Factor analysis of analog scales measuring subjective feelings before and after sleep.Br J Med Psychol. 1976; 49: 373-379
- Perceived exertion and pulse rate during graded exercise in various age groups.Acta Med Scand. 1967; 472 (Suppl): 194-206
- An exponential model of isometric muscular fatigue as a function of age and muscle groups.Ergonomics. 1992; 35: 899-918
- Serum creatine kinase levels in response to combined lovastatin and exercise [abstract].Clin Res. 1993; 41: 600
- Cardiac response to exercise: comparison of 3 ergometers.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1983; 64: 155-159
- Late normal tissue complications: new Insights.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1995; 33 (Editorial comments): 563-568
- Tolerance of peripheral nerve to intra-operative radiotherapy (IORT): clinical and experimental studies.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1985; 11: 1579-1585
- Ultrastructural and cellular effects of ionizing radiation.Front Radiat Ther Oncol. 1972; 6: 21-43
- Radiation induced peripheral neuropathy.BMJ. 1966; 1: 834-837
- Sacral plexus injury after radiotherapy of the carcinoma of the cervix.Cancer. 1990; 66: 1488-1492
- Task dependent factors in fatigue of human voluntary contractions.in: Gandevia SC Fatigue: neural and muscular mechanisms. Plenum Press, New York1995: 361-380
- Human muscle function and fatigue.in: Porter R Whalen J Human muscle fatigue. Pitman Medical, London1981: 1-18
- Latent-time estimation for late cutaneous and sub-cutaneous radiation reactions in a single follow-up clinical study.Radiother Oncol. 1989; 15: 267-274
- Peripheral nerve and ureteral tolerance to intraoperative radiation therapy: clinical and dose-response analysis.Radiother Oncol. 1990; 18: 247-255
- Compensatory hypertrophy of the soleus in tumor bearing rats.J Neurol Sci. 1983; 61: 171-179
- Influence of radiation treatment on serum transferrin and tumor necrosis factor-alpha.Anticancer Res. 1992; 12: 1757-1759
- Fatigue mechanism in patients with cancer.Oncol Nurs Forum. 1992; 19: 419-425
- In vitro mechanism (s) of ultraviolet radiation-induced tumor necrosis factor-alpha release in a human keratinocyte cell line.Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed. 1995; 11: 112-118
- The effects of x-ray irradiation on the production of interleukin-6 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha by mono-nuclear cells of the peripheral blood.Radiobiologia. 1993; 33: 88-91
- Ultraviolet B irradiation of skin induces mast cell degranulation and release of tumor necrosis factor-alpha.Immunol Cell Biol. 1995; 73: 226-233
Accepted: January 8, 1997
Received: October 3, 1996
☆No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit upon the authors or upon any organization with which the authors are associated.
© 1997 Published by Elsevier Inc.