- Physiological factors associated with falls in older community-dwelling women.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1994; 42: 1110-1117
- Risk factors for falls in a community-based prospective study of people 70 years and older.J Gerontol (Med Sci). 1989; 44: M112-M117
- Clinical determinants of biomechanics platform measures of balance in aged women.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1988; 36: 996-1002
- Balance, reaction time and muscle strength in exercising and non-exercising women: a pilot study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1993; 74: 837-840
- Exercise effects on aged motor function.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1988; 515: 363-373
- The Seattle FICSIT/MoveIt study: the effect of exercise on gait and balance in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1993; 41: 321-325
- Posture control in the elderly.Int J Technol Aging. 1988; 1: 166-179
- Balance training in 70 year old women.Physiother Theor Pract. 1991; 7: 121-125
- Effects of exercise on postural sway in the elderly.Gerontology. 1989; 35: 137-143
- Exercise and balance in aged women: A pilot controlled clinical trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1989; 70: 138-143
- A controlled trial of exercise by residents of old people's homes.Age Ageing. 1993; 22: 11-15
- Balance and strength changes in elderly subjects after heavy-resistance training.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1992; 24: S21
Lord SR, Ward JA, Williams P, Strudwick M. The effect of a 12 month exercise program on balance, strength and falls in older women: a randomised controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc. In press.
- Effect of water exercise on balance and related factors in older people.Aust J Physiother. 1993; 39: 217-222
- The effect of a physical activity program on balance, strength, neuromuscular control and reaction time in older persons.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1994; 75: 648-652
- Body oscillations in balancing due to segmental stretch reflex activity.Exp Brain Res. 1980; 40: 89-95
- Postural proprioceptive reflexes in standing human subjects: bandwidth of response and transmission characteristics.J Physiol. 1992; 458: 69-93
- Functional reach: predictive validity in a sample of elderly male veterans.J Gerontol (Med Sci). 1992; 47: M93-M98
- Risk factors for falls among elderly people living in the community.N Engl J Med. 1988; 319: 1701-1707
- Guidelines for graded exercise testing and exercise prescription.2nd ed. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia1980
- The relaxation response.William Morrow and Co, New York1975
- Ankle stiffness of standing humans in response to imperceptible pertubation: reflex and task-dependent components.J Physiol. 1992; 454: 533-547
- SPSS reference guide. SPSS Inc, Chicago1990 5th ed.
- Advanced statistics user's guide. SPSS Inc, Chicago1990 5th ed.
- Age-related changes in sensori-motor function and balance in community dwelling women.Age Ageing. 1994; 23: 452-460
☆Funded by the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia.
☆☆No commercial party having a direct financial interest in the results of the research supporting this article has or will confer a benefit upon the authors or upon any organization with which the authors are associated.