- •Five years after surgery for breast cancer, women diagnosed with axillary web syndrome (AWS) have altered scapulohumeral kinematics that may place them at increased risk of shoulder pain and rotator cuff disease.
- •Women with AWS demonstrated less scapular upward rotation at 120° of arm elevation (P=.005), regardless of plane.
- •A better understanding of shoulder kinematics after breast cancer treatment could lead to specific and effective rehabilitation programs for cancer survivors with shoulder pain.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:AWS (axillary web syndrome), ROM (range of motion), 3D (3-dimensional), STur (scapulothoracic upward rotation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- A longitudinal analysis of chronic arm morbidity following breast cancer surgery.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016; 157: 413-425
- Long term treatment related upper limb morbidity and quality of life after sentinel lymph node biopsy for stage I or II breast cancer.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2006; 32: 148-152
- Upper extremity disability and quality of life after breast cancer treatment in the Greater Plains Collaborative clinical research network.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019; 175: 675-689
- Function, shoulder motion, pain, and lymphedema in breast cancer with and without axillary web syndrome: an 18-month follow-up.Phys Ther. 2018; 98: 518-527
- Motion restriction and axillary web syndrome after sentinel node biopsy and axillary clearance in breast cancer.Am J Surg. 2003; 185: 127-130
- Identification and description of the axillary web syndrome (AWS) by clinical signs, MRI, and US Imaging.Lymphology. 2014; 47: 164-176
- Axillary web syndrome after axillary dissection.Am J Surg. 2001; 181: 434-439
- Movement, function, pain, and postoperative edema in axillary web syndrome.Phys Ther. 2015; 95: 1345-1353
- Axillary web syndrome following breast cancer surgery: symptoms, complications, and management strategies.Breast Cancer Targets Ther. 2019; 11: 13-19
- Characterizing axillary web syndrome: ultrasonographic efficacy.Lymphology. 2014; 47: 156-163
- Five-year cumulative incidence of axillary web syndrome and comparison in upper extremity movement, function, pain, and lymphedema in survivors of breast cancer with and without axillary web syndrome.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2022; : 1-9
- Effects of mastectomy on shoulder and spinal kinematics during bilateral upper-limb movement.Phys Ther. 2010; 90: 679-692
- Shoulder kinematics and function in breast cancer survivors with unilateral lymphedema: an observational study.Rehab Onc. 2015; 33: 41-46
- Shoulder morbidity after treatment for breast cancer is bilateral and greater after mastectomy.Acta Oncol (Madr). 2012; 51: 1045-1053
- Three-dimensional scapula kinematics and shoulder function examined before and after surgical treatment for breast cancer.Hum Mov Sci. 2012; 31: 408-418
- Three-dimensional scapular kinematics, shoulder outcome measures and quality of life following treatment for breast cancer—a case control study.Musculoskelet Sci Pract. 2019; 40: 72-79
- Scapulothoracic and glenohumeral motions during functional reaching tasks in women with a history of breast cancer and healthy age-matched controls.Rehabil Oncol. 2016; 34: 127-136
- Twenty-year follow-up of a randomized trial comparing total mastectomy, lumpectomy, and lumpectomy plus irradiation for the treatment of invasive breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1233-1241
- Magnitude of late effects of breast cancer treatments on shoulder function: a systematic review.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2009; 116: 1-15
- Quality of life of women treated with radiotherapy for breast cancer.Support Care Cancer. 2008; 16: 399-405
- Alterations in shoulder kinematics and associated muscle activity in people with symptoms of shoulder impingement.Phys Ther. 2000; 80: 276-291
- The association of scapular kinematics and glenohumeral joint pathologies.J Orthop Sport Phys Ther. 2009; 39: 90-104
- Comparison of 3-dimensional shoulder complex kinematics in individuals with and without shoulder pain, part 1: sternoclavicular, acromioclavicular, and scapulothoracic joints.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2014; 44: 636-645
- Shoulder function and 3-dimensional scapular kinematics in people with and without shoulder impingement syndrome.Phys Ther. 2006; 86: 1075-1090
- Comparison of 3-dimensional scapular position and orientation between subjects with and without shoulder impingement.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1999; 29: 574-586
- Motion of the shoulder complex in individuals with isolated acromioclavicular osteoarthritis and associated with rotator cuff dysfunction: Part 1—three-dimensional shoulder kinematics.J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2014; 24: 520-530
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)-A metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- The REDCap consortium: building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95103208
Polhemus. Fastrack 3D digitizer & quad sensor motion tracker:1-2. Available at: https://polhemus.com/_assets/img/FASTRAK_Brochure_1.pdf. Accessed February 5, 2021.
- Dynamic measurements of three-dimensional scapular kinematics: a validation study.J Biomech Eng. 2001; 123: 184-190
- The accuracy of measuring glenohumeral motion with a surface humeral cuff.J Biomech. 2012; 45: 1161-1168
- ISB recommendation on definitions of joint coordinate systems of various joints for the reporting of human joint motion— Part II: shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand.J Biomech. 2005; 38: 981-992
- Motion of the shoulder complex during multiplanar humeral elevation.J Bone Jt Surg. 2009; 91: 378-389
- Axillary web syndrome following secondary breast-conserving surgery: a case report.World J Surg Oncol. 2013; 11: 1
- Dose response and latency for radiation-induced fibrosis, edema, and neuropathy in breast cancer patients.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2002; 52: 1207-1219
- Treatment morbidity associated with the management of the axilla in breast-conserving therapy.Acta Oncol (Madr). 2000; 39: 349-354
- Comparison of scapular local coordinate systems.Clin Biomech. 2010; 25: 415-421
- Impingement pain affects kinematics of breast cancer survivors in work-related functional tasks.Clin Biomech. 2019; 70: 223-230
- Shoulder kinematics impact subacromial proximities: a review of the literature.Braz J Phys Ther. 2019; 24: 219-230
- Measurement of three dimensional shoulder movement patterns with an electromagnetic tracking device in patients with a frozen shoulder.Ann Rheum Dis. 2002; 61: 115-120
- Electromyographic analysis of shoulder neuromuscular activity in women following breast cancer treatment: a cross-sectional descriptive study.J Clin Med. 2020; 9: 1804
- The effect of long versus short pectoralis minor resting length on scapular kinematics in healthy individuals.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2005; 35: 227-238
- Longitudinal change of treatment-related upper limb dysfunction and its impact on late dysfunction in breast cancer survivors: a prospective cohort study.J Surg Oncol. 2010; 101: 84-91
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Research reported in this publication was supported by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development of the National Institutes of Health under Award Number K12HD055887, the Powell Center Fund for Women's Health Advancement endowment at the University of Minnesota, administered by the University of Minnesota Women's Health Research Program, and in part by shared resources via NIH P30 CA77598, utilizing Masonic Cancer Center's shared resources, and NCATS CTSA UL1TR002494, University of Minnesota. The funding sources played no role in the design, conduct, or reporting of this study.