- •The Activities-based Balance Confidence Scale has been used to measure fall risk.
- •The relevancy of these questions has not been evaluated for an urban population.
- •Distributed a modified ABC survey assessing the relevance of individual prompts.
- •Found certain items were less relevant to those in an urban setting.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:ABC (activities-specific balance confidence), MRS (median relevancy score)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Disorders of balance and vestibular function in US adults: data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2001-2004.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 938-944
- Medical costs of fatal and nonfatal falls in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2018; 66: 693-698
- Balance confidence and turning behavior as a measure of fall risk.Gait Posture. 2020; 80: 1-6
- Investigating relationships between balance confidence and balance ability in older adults.J Aging Res. 2021; 20213214366
- The activities-specific balance confidence (ABC) scale.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1995; 50: M28-M34
- The short version of the activities-specific balance confidence (ABC) scale: its validity, reliability, and relationship to balance impairment and falls in older adults.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2010; 51: 9-12
- The relationship between the activities-specific balance confidence scale and the dynamic gait index in peripheral vestibular dysfunction.Physiother Res Int. 2005; 10: 10-22
- Validity and reliability of the Swedish version of the activities-specific balance confidence scale in people with chronic stroke.Physiother Can. 2013; 65: 141-147
- The activities-specific balance confidence scale: reliability and validity in Spanish patients with vestibular disorders.Disabil Rehabil. 2017; 39: 697-703
- Psychometric properties of the Arabic version of the activities-specific balance confidence (ABC) scale in ambulatory, community-dwelling, elderly people.Clin Interv Aging. 2019; 14: 1075-1084
- Validity and reliability of the Brazilian activities-specific balance confidence scale and determinants of balance confidence in community-dwelling older adults.Physiother Theory Pract. 2022; 38: 345-354
- Urban, Urbanized Area, Urban Cluster, and Rural Population.(Available at:)https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/geography/guidance/geo-areas/urban-rural/ua-facts.htmlDate accessed: October 24, 2022
- Predicting falls in community dwelling older adults using the activities-specific balance confidence scale.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2017; 72: 142-145
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Presented as an oral presentation with limited data at the Combined Sections Meeting for the American Physical Therapy Association, February 22, 2018.
Disclosures: Dr Maura Cosetti has a financial relationship with Cochlear Americas unrelated to the submitted work. All other authors report no conflict of interest concerning the materials or methods used in this study or the findings specified in this paper.