Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:ALSFRS -R (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis functional rating scale—revised), FVC (forced vital capacity), MND (motor neuron disease), NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence), PA (physical activity), PASE (physical activity scale for the elderly), PD (Parkinson's disease)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Clinical aspects of motor neurone disease.Medicine. 2020; 48: 607-611
- Symptomatic treatments for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/motor neuron disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 1CD011776
- Comparisons of leisure-time physical activity participation by adults with and without a disability: results of an Australian cross-sectional national survey.BMJ Open Sport Exerc Med. 2021; 7: e00091
- Chronic disease and the link to physical activity.J Sport Health Sci. 2013; 2: 3-11
- A systematic review of the effects of moderate intensity exercise on function and disease progression in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.JNPT. 2009; 33: 68-87
- Therapeutic exercise for people with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or motor neuron disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 5CD005229
- Effects of exercise in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 99: 801-810
- The role of exercise as a non-pharmacological therapeutic approach for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: beneficial or detrimental?.Front Neurol. 2019; 10: 783
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Motor eurone isease: assessment and management (NICE Guideline NG42). Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng42. Accessed May 14, 2019.
- Physical activity in early Parkinson disease.J Parkinsons Dis. 2018; 8: 107-111
- Self-reported physical activity after ischemic stroke correlates with physical capacity.Adv Physiother. 2008; 10: 188-194
- The physical activity scale for the elderly (PASE): development and evaluation.J Clin Epidemiol. 1993; 1: 153-162
- Validity and reliability of the physical activity scale for the elderly (PASE) in Japanese elderly people.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2008; 8: 143-151
- Evidence of multidimensionality in the ALSFRS-R Scale: a critical appraisal on its measurement properties using Rasch analysis.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2013; 84: 1340-1345
- Forced vital capacity (FVC) as an indicator of survival and disease progression an ALS clinic population.J Neurol NEurosurg Psychiatry. 2006; 77: 390-392
- Pulmonary function tests in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and the association between these tests and survival.Iran J Neurol. 2014; 13: 131-137
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioural sciences.2nd ed. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ1988: 79-81
- Long-term effects of regular physical activity and exercise habits in patients with early Parkinson disease.Neurology. 2022; 98: e859-e871
- Motor neurone disease.Handb Clin Neurol. 2018; 159: 345-357
- Caregiving in ALS – a mixed methods approach to the study of burden.BMC Paliative Care. 2016; 15: 81
- Caregiver burden in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a systematic review.Palliat Med. 2018; 32: 231-245
- Fatigue in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: frequency and associated factors.Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2009; 9: 75-80
- Dyspnoea as a fatigue promoting factor in ALS and the role of objective indicators of respiratory impairment.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2020; 60: 2
- Identification and outcomes of clinical phenotypes in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/motor neuron disease observational cohort.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e012054
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
The material in this article was presented at the 31st International MND Symposium and the 2020 Allied Professional Forum held virtually on December 3rd and 4th, 2020.
Clinical Trial Registration No.: ACTRN12618000889257.