- •Gait impairments in older age are a marker of declining functional health.
- •Gait is multifaceted and pace, rhythm, variability represent main gait domains.
- •In multiple fallers pace declined, rhythm and variability increased at faster rates.
- •In single fallers only variability increased at a faster rate.
- •Falls were not associated with risk of clinical gait abnormalities.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BMI (body index), CI (confidence interval)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Gait, gait variability and the risk of multiple incident falls in older people: a population-based study.Age Ageing. 2011; 40: 481-487
- Quantitative gait markers and incident fall risk in older adults.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2009; 64: 896-901
- Gait speed at usual pace as a predictor of adverse outcomes in community-dwelling older people an International Academy on Nutrition and Aging (IANA) Task Force.J Nutr Health Aging. 2009; 13: 881-889
- Impact of falls on the balance, gait, and activities of daily living functioning in community-dwelling Chinese older adults.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006; 61: 399-404
- Gait variability and fall risk in community-living older adults: a 1-year prospective study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 82: 1050-1056
- Quantitative gait dysfunction and risk of cognitive decline and dementia.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2007; 78: 929-935
- Gait dysfunction in mild cognitive impairment syndromes.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008; 56: 1244-1251
- Inflammatory markers and gait speed decline in older adults.J Gerontol A Biomed Sci Med Sci. 2011; 66: 1083-1089
- Medical, sensorimotor and cognitive factors associated with gait variability: a longitudinal population-based study.Front Aging Neurosci. 2018; 10: 419
- Cognitive function, gait speed decline, and comorbidities: the health, aging and body composition study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2007; 62: 844-850
- A comparison of two walking while talking paradigms in aging.Gait Posture. 2014; 40: 415-419
- Within-person across-neuropsychological test variability and incident dementia.JAMA. 2008; 300: 823-830
- Prevention of Falls Network Europe and Outcomes Consensus Group. Development of a common outcome data set for fall injury prevention trials: the Prevention of Falls Network Europe consensus.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1618-1622
- Multisensory integration predicts balance and falls in older adults.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2019; 74: 1429-1435
- The validity and reliability of the GAITRite system's measurements: a preliminary evaluation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 82: 419-425
- Gait velocity as a single predictor of adverse events in healthy seniors aged 75 years and older.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005; 60: 1304-1309
- Gait characteristics and cognitive decline: a longitudinal population-based study.J Alzheimers Dis. 2019; 71: S5-14
- Gait variability and the risk of incident mobility disability in community-dwelling older adults.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2007; 62: 983-988
- Abnormality of gait as a predictor of non-Alzheimer's dementia.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1761-1768
- Neurological gait abnormalities and risk of falls in older adults.J Neurol. 2010; 257: 392-398
- Reliability and validity of a telephone-based mobility assessment questionnaire.Age Ageing. 2004; 33: 628-632
- A comparison of turn and straight walking phases as predictors of incident falls.Gait Posture. 2020; 79: 239-243
- Independent domains of gait in older adults and associated motor and nonmotor attributes: validation of a factor analysis approach.J Gerontol A Biomed Sci Med Sci. 2012; 68: 820-827
- A model of free-living gait: a factor analysis in Parkinson's disease.Gait Posture. 2017; 52: 68-71
- Prognostic value of usual gait speed in well-functioning older people—results from the Health, Aging and Body Composition Study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1675-1680
- What is a falls risk factor? Factors associated with falls per time or per step in individuals with glaucoma.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: 87-92
- Falls in the geriatric patient.Clin Geriatr Med. 2019; 35: 115-126
- Preclinical mobility disability predicts incident mobility disability in older women.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2000; 55: M43
- Falls and cognition in older persons: fundamentals, assessment and therapeutic options.Springer Nature, New York2019
- Gait changes in older adults: predictors of falls or indicators of fear?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1997; 45: 313-320
- Cortical processes associated with continuous balance control as revealed by EEG spectral power.Neurosci Lett. 2015; 592: 1-5
- Epidemiology of gait disorders in community-residing older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006; 54: 255-261
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding Resources: National Institute on Aging grants (PI: Joe Verghese RO1 AGO57548. R01AG044007-01A1, R01AG068167; R01AG062659; UG3 NS105565, PI: Roee Holtzer: R01AG036921-01A1).
Disclosures: Dr Joe Verghese is on the advisory board of Catch-U, Inc, USA and MedRhythms, Inc, USA. Other authors declare no conflicts of interest.