Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BPCI (Bundled Payments for Care Improvement Initiative), CI (confidence interval), CJR (Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement), CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services), DRG (diagnosis-related group), ICD (International Classification of Diseases), IRF (inpatient rehabilitation facility), OR (odds ratio), SMSA (standard metropolitan statistical area), SNF (skilled nursing facility), THA (total hip arthroplasty)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Diagnosis and treatment of hip and knee osteoarthritis: a review.JAMA. 2021; 325: 568-578
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. HCUP fast stats—most common operations during inpatient stays. Available at: https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/faststats/NationalProceduresServlet. Accessed May 20, 2021.
- Rates of total joint replacement in the United States: future projections to 2020-2040 using the National Inpatient Sample.J Rheumatol. 2019; 46: 1134-1140
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Comprehensive care for joint replacement model. Available at: https://innovation.cms.gov/innovation-models/cjr. Accessed May 31, 2021.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Medicare program: Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement Model. Three-year extension and changes to episode definition and pricing. Available at: https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection/current. Accessed October 15, 2021
- Evaluation of economic and clinical outcomes under Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services mandatory bundled payments for joint replacements.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 924-931
- Two-year evaluation of mandatory bundled payments for joint replacement.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 252-262
- Mandatory Medicare bundled payment program for lower extremity joint replacement and discharge to institutional postacute care.JAMA. 2018; 320: 892-900
- The impact of bundled payment on health care spending, utilization, and quality: a systematic review.Health Aff. 2020; 39: 50-57
- The impact of discharge disposition on episode-of-care reimbursement after primary total hip arthroplasty.J Arthroplast. 2017; 32: 2969-2973
- Hospital responses to incentives in episode-based payment for joint surgery.JAMA Intern Med. 2021 May 17; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Association of mandatory bundled payments for joint replacement with postacute care outcomes among Medicare and Medicaid dual eligible patients.Med Care. 2021; 59: 101-110
- Coding algorithms for defining comorbidities in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 administrative data.Med Care. 2005; 43: 1130-1139
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
- Identification and inference in nonlinear difference-in-differences models.Econometrica. 2006; 74: 431-497
- Hip fracture does not belong in the elective arthroplasty bundle: presentation, outcomes, and service utilization differ in fracture arthroplasty care.J Arthroplast. 2018; 33: S56-S60
- Are Medicare's “Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement” bundled payments stratifying risk adequately?.J Arthroplast. 2018; 33: 2722-2727
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. CY 2020 Medicare Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System and Ambulatory Surgical Center Payment System Final Rule (CMS-1717-FC). Available at: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-sheets/cy-2020-medicare-hospital-outpatient-prospective-payment-system-and-ambulatory-surgical-center. Accessed May 1, 2021.
The Lewin Group, Inc. CMS Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement Model: performance year 4 evaluation report. Available at: https://innovation.cms.gov/data-and-reports/2021/cjr-py4-annual-report. Accessed January 6, 2022.
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
This research was supported in part by a research grant from the National Institute on Aging (NIA) to (5-R01-AG058718).