Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:ALC (alternative level of care), CI (confidence interval), HTSD (high-tolerance short-duration), IV (instrumental variable), LOS (length of stay), Neuro/MSK (Neurology/Musculoskeletal), OLS (ordinary least squares), RIW (resource intensity weight)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Alternative level of care: Canada's hospital beds, the evidence and options.Healthc Policy. 2013; 9: 26-34
- Acute care inpatients with long-term delayed discharge: evidence from a Canadian health region.BMC Health Serv Res. 2012; 12: 1-10
- Older patients and delayed discharge from hospital.Health Soc Care Community. 2000; 8: 443-452
- Policies for reducing delayed discharge from hospital.Br Med Bull. 2010; 95: 33-46
- Waiting for placement: an exploratory analysis of determinants of delayed discharges of elderly hospital patients.Health Serv Res. 1991; 26: 339-394
Canadian Institute for Health Information. Guidelines to support ALC designation. Available at: https://www.cihi.ca/en/guidelines-to-support-alc-designation. Accessed October 19, 2021.
Canadian Institute for Health Information. Hospital stays in Canada. Available from: https://www.cihi.ca/en/hospital-stays-in-canada. Accessed April 15, 2022.
- Early rehabilitation effect for traumatic spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 82: 391-395
- Early inpatient rehabilitation after elective hip and knee arthroplasty.JAMA. 1998; 279: 847-852
- Time of rehabilitation admission and severity of trauma: effect on brain injury outcome.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1991; 72: 320-325
- Prediction of rehabilitation outcomes with disability measures.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1994; 75: 133-143
- Functional status and therapeutic intensity during inpatient rehabilitation.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1995; 74: 315-326
- Time to inpatient rehabilitation hospital admission and functional outcomes of stroke patients.PM R. 2011; 3: 296-304
- Impact of early vs delayed admission to rehabilitation on functional outcomes in persons with stroke.J Rehabil Med. 2006; 38: 113-117
- Impact of transfer delays to rehabilitation in patients with severe trauma.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 184-191
Canadian Institute for Health Information. CMG+. Available at: https://www.cihi.ca/en/cmg. Accessed August 3, 2021.
- The structure and stability of the Functional Independence Measure.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1994; 75: 127-132
- Econometric analysis of cross section and panel data.2nd ed. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA2010
- Econometrics in outcomes research: the use of instrumental variables.Annu Rev Public Health. 1998; 19: 17-34
- Effect of early rehabilitation by physical therapists on in-hospital mortality after aspiration pneumonia in the elderly.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 205-209
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
The work of Vahid Sarhangian was partially supported by a grant from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) (grant no. RGPIN-2018-04518) and a Connaught New Researcher award. The work of Jing Dong was partially supported by a National Science Foundation CAREER Award (grant no. 1994209).