- •Hyaluronic acid and dextrose injections are common treatments for knee osteoarthritis (OA).
- •Coinjections improved stair climbing time and physical function at 6 months.
- •Coinjections had no severe adverse effects and achieved high adherence.
- •Coinjections may be suitable as adjuvant therapy for knee OA.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:HA (hyaluronic acid), IL (interleukin), KOOS (Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score), MCID (minimal clinically important difference), OA (osteoarthritis), QOL (quality of life), WOMAC (Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- 2019 American College of Rheumatology/Arthritis Foundation guideline for the management of osteoarthritis of the hand, hip, and knee.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2020; 72: 149-162
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons management of osteoarthritis of the knee (nonarthroplasty) evidence-based clinical practice guideline. Available at: https://www.aaos.org/oak3cpg. Accessed May 1, 2022.
- Procedural treatments for knee osteoarthritis: a review of current injectable therapies.Pain Res Manag. 2020; 20203873098
- Intra-articular injections in knee osteoarthritis: a review of literature.J Funct Morphol Kinesiol. 2021; 6: 15
- Injection-based management of osteoarthritis of the knee: a systematic review of guidelines.Front Pharmacol. 2021; 12661805
- The mechanism of action for hyaluronic acid treatment in the osteoarthritic knee: a systematic review.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2015; 16: 321
- The effectiveness of prolotherapy in treating knee osteoarthritis in adults: a systematic review.Br Med Bull. 2017; 122: 91-108
- Tandem-pore K+ channels mediate inhibition of orexin neurons by glucose.Neuron. 2006; 50: 711-722
- Regenerative injection therapy for osteoarthritis: fundamental concepts and evidence-based review.Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 4: S104-S109
- Oral or transdermal opioids for osteoarthritis of the knee or hip.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 9CD003115
- A systematic review of four injection therapies for lateral epicondylosis: prolotherapy, polidocanol, whole blood and platelet-rich plasma.Br J Sport Med. 2009; 43: 471-481
- Early inflammatory response of knee ligaments to prolotherapy in a rat model.J Orthop Res. 2008; 26: 816-823
- Longer term response of knee ligaments to prolotherapy in a rat injury model.Am J Sports Med. 2008; 36: 1347-1357
- Association of diabetes mellitus and biomarkers of abnormal glucose metabolism with incident radiographic knee osteoarthritis.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2020; 72: 98-106
- Efficacy of intra-articular hypertonic dextrose (prolotherapy) for knee osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial.Ann Fam Med. 2020; 18: 235-242
- Hypertonic dextrose injections (prolotherapy) in the treatment of symptomatic knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 25247
- Hypertonic dextrose injection (prolotherapy) for knee osteoarthritis: long term outcomes.Complement Ther Med. 2015; 23: 388-395
- Minimal clinically important difference for change in comfortable gait speed of adults with pathology: a systematic review.J Eval Clin Pract. 2014; 20: 295-300
- Meaningful change in walking speed.Top Geriatr Rehabil. 2012; 28: 97-103
- Evaluation of the measurement properties of four performance outcome measures in patients with elective hip replacements, elective knee replacements, or hip fractures.Value Health. 2018; 21: 1104-1114
- The five-times-sit-to-stand test: validity, reliability and detectable change in older females.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2012; 24: 339-344
- WOMAC osteoarthritis user's guide IX.Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario2008
- Validation of the Chinese Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index in patients from mainland China with osteoarthritis of the knee.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2015; 67: 1553-1560
- Multidimensional minimal clinically important differences in knee osteoarthritis after comprehensive rehabilitation: a prospective evaluation from the Bad Zurzach Osteoarthritis Study.RMD Open. 2018; 4e000685
- Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS)–development of a self-administered outcome measure.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1998; 28: 88-96
- Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of Singapore English and Chinese versions of the Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS) in Asians with knee osteoarthritis in Singapore.Osteoarthr Cartil. 2006; 14: 1098-1103
- Measures of knee function.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011; 63: S208-S228
- Effects of repeated co-injections of corticosteroids and hyaluronic acid on knee osteoarthritis: a prospective, double-blind randomized controlled trial.Am J Med. 2022; 135: 641-649
- OARSI clinical trials recommendations: design and conduct of clinical trials of rehabilitation interventions for osteoarthritis.Osteoarthr Cartil. 2015; 23: 803-814
- Relationships between physical performance and knee and hip osteoarthritis: findings from the European Project on Osteoarthritis (EPOSA).Age Ageing. 2014; 43: 806-813
- The test/retest reliability of physical performance measures in osteoarthritis patients.Int J Clin Rheumatol. 2018; 13: 43-47
- OARSI recommended performance-based tests to assess physical function in people diagnosed with hip or knee osteoarthritis.Osteoarthr Cartil. 2013; 21: 1042-1052
- Intra-articular, single-shot hylan G-F 20 hyaluronic acid injection compared with corticosteroid in knee osteoarthritis: a double-blind, randomized controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016; 98: 885-892
- Recent advances in hyaluronic acid based therapy for osteoarthritis.Clin Transl Med. 2018; 7: 6
- Efficacy and safety of repeated courses of hyaluronic acid injections for knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2018; 48: 168-175
- The effectiveness of high molecular weight hyaluronic acid for knee osteoarthritis in patients in the working age: a randomised controlled trial.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019; 20: 196
- Product differences in intra-articular hyaluronic acids for osteoarthritis of the knee.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 2158-2165
- Evidence-based knee injections for the management of arthritis.Pain Med. 2012; 13: 740-753
- Viscosupplementation for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; 2: CD0053
- The effectiveness of hyaluronic acid intra-articular injections in managing osteoarthritic knee pain.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2013; 95: 545-551
- Prolotherapy for knee osteoarthritis using hypertonic dextrose vs other interventional treatments: systematic review of clinical trials.Adv Rheumatol. 2019; 59: 39
- Efficacy of hypertonic dextrose injection (prolotherapy) in temporomandibular joint dysfunction: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 14638
- Dextrose prolotherapy for knee osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial [published correction appears in Ann Fam Med 2013;11:480].Ann Fam Med. 2013; 11: 229-237
- Identification of early response to hypertonic dextrose prolotherapy markers in knee osteoarthritis patients by an inflammation-related cytokine array.Chin Med Assoc. 2022; 85: 525-531
- Dextrose prolotherapy: a narrative review of basic science, clinical research, and best treatment recommendations.Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2016; 27: 783-823
- Periarticular dextrose prolotherapy instead of intra-articular injection for pain and functional improvement in knee osteoarthritis.J Pain Res. 2017; 10: 1179-1187
- Evidence-based use of dextrose prolotherapy for knee osteoarthritis: a meta-analysis of randomized trials.OE Orig. 2021; 4: 3
- Differentiating factors of intra-articular injectables have a meaningful impact on knee osteoarthritis outcomes: a network meta-analysis.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2020; 28: 3031-3039
- Hypertonic dextrose injections (prolotherapy) for knee osteoarthritis: results of a single-arm uncontrolled study with 1-year follow-up.J Altern Complement Med. 2012; 18: 408-414
- Randomized prospective double-blind placebo-controlled study of dextrose prolotherapy for knee osteoarthritis with or without ACL laxity.Altern Ther Health Med. 2000; 6: 68-80
- Musculoskeletal injections: a review of the evidence.Am Fam Physician. 2008; 78: 971-976
- Single-dose local anesthetics exhibit a type-, dose-, and time-dependent chondrotoxic effect on chondrocytes and cartilage: a systematic review of the current literature.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2018; 26: 819-830
- Chondrotoxic effects of local anesthetics on human knee articular cartilage: a systematic review.PM R. 2019; 11: 379-400
- The influence of a single intra-articular lidocaine injection on the viability of articular cartilage in the knee.Cartilage. 2021; 13: 456S-463S
- Rethinking viscosupplementation: ultrasound- versus landmark-guided injection for knee osteoarthritis.J Ultrasound Med. 2020; 39: 113-117
- The therapeutic effect of intra-articular normal saline injections for knee osteoarthritis: a meta-analysis of evidence level 1 studies.Am J Sports Med. 2017; 45: 2647-2653
Partially supported by research grants from Shin Kong Wu Ho-Su Memorial Hospital (2019SKHADR038, 2020SKHADR035, 2021SKHADR032, 2022SKHADR033) and the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan (MOST-102-2314-B-341-001, MOST 104-2314-B-002-118-MY3, MOST-105-2314-B-341-002, MOST-105-2314-B-002-049-MY3, MOST-106-2314-B-341-003-MY2, MOST 108-2314-B-341-003, MOST 108-2314-B-002-127-MY3, MOST 109-2314-B-341-001).
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT03238183.