- •The Rasch Reporting Guideline for Rehabilitation Research (RULER) guideline, checklist, and article set uniform expectations on reporting Rasch Measurement (RM) studies.
- •The RULER guideline includes a framework and checklist of 59 recommendations.
- •Rehabilitation science will advance by transparent reporting of RM studies.
- •The RULER guideline, checklist, and article will evolve as the field develops consensus on best practices.
- •Consistent use of RM terminology will be a focus of a future task force.
List of abbreviations:ACRM (American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine), cMDC (conditional minimally detectable change), CTT (classical test theory), DIF (differential item functioning), LID (local item dependence), MDC (minimally detectable change), M-ISIG (Measurement Interdisciplinary Special Interest Group), PCAR (Principal Component Analysis of Residuals), PROM (patient-reported outcome measure), PSI (person separation index), PSR (person separation reliability), RM (Rasch Measurement), RP (relative precision index), RULER (Rasch Reporting Guideline for Rehabilitation Research), RUMM (Rasch Unidimensional Measurement Model)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- A course in Rasch Measurement Theory: measuring in the educational, social and health sciences.Springer, New York2019
- Editorial: an end to ordinal misrule?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 101: 166-167
- Applying the Rasch model: fundamental measurement in the human sciences.Erlbaum, Mahwax, NJ2001
- Guidance for industry: patient-reported outcome measures: use in medical product development to support labeling claims.Fed Regist. 2009; 74: 65132-65133
American Institutes for Research. Principles for making health care measurement patient-centered. Available at: https://www.air.org/sites/default/files/Patient-Centered-Measurement-Principles-April-2017.pdf. Accessed January 12, 2020.
- Towards consensus measurement standards for patient-centered outcomes.Measurement. 2019; 141: 62-69
- The importance of rating scales in measuring patient-reported outcomes.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2012; 10: 80
- Comprehensive ADL outcome measurement after stroke: Rasch validation of the Lucerne ICF-Based Multidisciplinary Observation Scale (LIMOS).Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2019; 100: 2314-2323
- A Revised Motor Activity log following Rasch validation (Rasch-Based MAL-18) and consensus methods in chronic stroke and multiple sclerosis.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2019; 33: 787-791
- Constructing measures: an item response modeling approach. Routledge, New York2004
- Parameter recovery in the graded response model using MULTILOG.J Educ Meas. 1990; 27: 133-144
- Rasch fit statistics and sample size considerations for polytomous data.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2008; 8: 33
- Is Rasch model analysis applicable in small sample size pilot studies for assessing item characteristics? An example using PROMIS pain behavior item bank data.Qual Life Res. 2014; 23: 485-493
- Sample size and item calibration stability.Rasch Mes Trans. 1994; 7: 328
- Misunderstanding the Rasch model.J Educ Meas. 1977; 14: 219-225
- Understanding Rasch measurement: estimation methods for Rasch measures.J Outcome Meas. 1999; 3: 382-405
- Investigating rating scale category utility.J Outcome Meas. 1999; 3: 103-122
- Optimizing rating scale category effectiveness.J Appl Meas. 2002; 3: 85-106
- Individual-patient monitoring in clinical practice: are available health status surveys adequate?.Qual Life Res. 1995; 4: 293-307
Linacre JM. DIF - DPF - bias - interactions concepts. Help for Winsteps Rasch measurement and Rasch analysis software: www.winsteps.com. Available at: https://www.winsteps.com/winman/difconcepts.htm. Accessed March 26, 2020.
- A review of ETS differential item functioning assessment procedures: flagging rules, minimum sample size requirements, and criterion refinement.ETS Res Rep Ser. 2012; 2012: i-30
- Identifying differential item functioning of rating scale items with the Rasch model: an introduction and an application.Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci. 2006; 10: 215-240
Linacre JM. Dimensionality: contrasts & variances. A user's guide to Winsteps Ministep Rasch-model computer programs (version 3. 81. 0). Available at: https://www.winsteps.com/winman/principalcomponents.htm. Accessed January 27, 2022.
- Interpreting and reporting clinical trials with results of borderline significance.BMJ. 2011; 343: d3340
- Generic ABILHAND questionnaire can measure manual ability across a variety of motor impairments.Int J Rehabil Res. 2011; 34: 131-140
Linacre JM. Reliability and separation of measures. Available at: https://www.winsteps.com/winman/reliability.htm. Accessed May 21, 2020.
- Standard errors and reliabilities: Rasch and raw score.Rasch Meas Trans. 2007; 20: 1086
Fisher Jr W. Rasch Measurement Transactions. Reliability, separation, strata statistics. Available at: https://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt63i.htm. Accessed May 7, 2020.
Linacre JM. Rasch Measurement Transactions. Rasch-based generalizability theory: reliability and precision (S.E.) nomogram. Available at: https://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt71h.htm. Accessed May 7, 2020.
Linacre JM. Rasch Measurement Transactions. Sample size and item calibration or person measure stability. Available at: https://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt74m.htm. Accessed June 25, 2020.
Linacre JM. Help for Winsteps Rasch measurement and Rasch analysis software: displacement measures. Available at: https://www.winsteps.com/winman/displacement.htm. Accessed January 12, 2020.
- Development and validation of the Activity Significance Personal Evaluation (ASPEn) scale.Aust Occup Ther J. 2014; 61: 384-393
- Foundations of behavioral research.Wadsworth Cengage Learning, Belmont, CA2000
- The Rasch measurement model in rheumatology: what is it and why use it? When should it be applied, and what should one look for in a Rasch paper?.Arthritis Rheum. 2007; 57: 1358-1362
- Comparing measures: scatterplots.Rasch Meas Trans. 1995; 9: 410
- Measuring agreement in method comparison studies.Stat Methods Med Res. 1999; 8: 135-160
- Validity of psychological assessment: validation of inferences from persons’ responses and performances as scientific inquiry into score meaning.Am Psychol. 1995; 50: 741-749
- The COSMIN study reached international consensus on taxonomy, terminology, and definitions of measurement properties for health-related patient-reported outcomes.J Clin Epidemiol. 2010; 63: 737-745
- Consensus-Based Standards for the Selection of Health Measurement Instruments (COSMIN).COSMIN, 2022 (Available at: http://www.cosmin.nl/. Accessed January 12, 2020)
- Longitudinal construct validity: establishment of clinical meaning in patient evaluative instruments.Med Care. 2000; 38 (II84-90)
- Evaluating individual change with the Quality of Life in Neurological Disorders (Neuro-QoL) Short Forms.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 650-654
- Rasch-based scoring offered more precision in differentiating patient groups in measuring upper limb function.J Clin Epidemiol. 2013; 66: 681-687
- Implementing patient-reported outcome measures in outpatient rehabilitation settings: a systematic review of facilitators and barriers using the Consolidated Framework for Implementation Research.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 101: 1796-1812
- Assessment of functional ability of people with Alzheimer’s disease.Scand J Occup Ther. 1999; 6: 111-118
- Test accommodations for individuals with neurological conditions completing the NIH Toolbox-Cognition Battery: an evaluation of frequency and appropriateness.Rehabil Psychol. 2017; 62: 455-463
Linacre JM. Test validity and Rasch measurement: construct, content, etc. Available at: https://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt181h.htm. Accessed June 25, 2020.
- Interdisciplinary approach to the development of accessible computer-administered measurement instruments.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 99: 204-210
- Critical values for Yen’s Q3: identification of local dependence in the Rasch model using residual correlations.Appl Psychol Meas. 2017; 41: 178-194
- Response dependence and the measurement of change.J Appl Meas. 2009; 10: 17-29
- Rasch analysis of repeated measures.Rasch Meas Trans. 2011; 25: 13-17
- Psychometric properties of the Coma Near-Coma Scale in adults in disordered states of consciousness: a Rasch analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2021; 102: 591-597
- Measuring low-vision rehabilitation outcomes with the NEI VFQ-25.Invest. Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002; 43: 2859-2868
Luppescu S. Rasch Measurement Transactions. DIF: graphical diagnosis. Available at: https://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt51j.htm. Accessed March 26, 2020.
Luppescu S., Rasch Measurement Transactions. Comparing measures: scatterplots. Available at: https://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt91c.htm. Accessed March 26, 2020.
Kilmen S. Effect of DIF magnitudes, focal group sample size, and DIF ratio on the performance of SIBTEST. Available at: http://ijsse.com/sites/default/files/issues/2016/v6i1/paper-11.pdf. Accessed January 27, 2022.
- Differential item functioning (DIF) in composite health measurement scale: recommendations for characterizing DIF with meaningful consequences within the Rasch model framework.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0215073
- Rasch validation of the Danish version of the Shoulder Pain and Disability Index (SPADI) in patients with rotator cuff-related disorders.Qual Life Res. 2019; 28: 795-800
Linacre JM. Table 23.99. Largest residual correlations for items. Help for Winsteps Rasch measurement and Rasch analysis software: www.winsteps.com. Available at: https://www.winsteps.com/winman/table23_99.htm. Accessed March 26, 2020.
Linacre JM. A user's guide to WINSTEPS & MINISTEP Rasch-model computer programs. Program manual. Available at: http://www.winsteps.com/winman. Accessed. January 27, 2022.
- Test-retest reliability and measurement error of the Danish WHO-5 Well-being Index in outpatients with epilepsy.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2018; 16: 175
- Accessibility considerations in the National Children’s.Study. Front Pediatr. 2021; 9624175
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab. Rehabilitation measures database. Available at: https://www.sralab.org/rehabilitation-measures. Accessed July 9, 2020.
National Library of Medicine. Home. Available at: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/cde/index.html. Accessed July 9, 2020.
- Heart and Stroke Foundation-Canadian Partnership for Stroke Recovery. Find an assessment.Stroke engine. 2020; (Available at:) (Accessed May 7, 2020.)
Spinal Cord Injury Research Evidence. Home. Available at: http://scireproject.com. Accessed July 9, 2020.
Lexile. For researchers. Available at: https://lexile.com/for-researchers/. Accessed July 9, 2020.
Hemingway. Hemingway Editor. Available at: http://www.hemingwayapp.com/. Accessed July 9, 2020.
Earlier versions of this material have been presented at conferences in 2019 organized by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine and the International Objective Measurement.
Dr Mallinson and Ms Weaver report funding from the US Department of Defense under grant JW150040 (Dr Theresa Bender-Pape, PI).