- •Criteria for emergence for the minimally conscious state are consensus-based.
- •Consistent command following recovers with functional object use and communication.
- •Consistent command following suggests emergence from the minimally conscious state.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CCF (consistent command-following), CRS-R (Coma Recovery Scale–Revised), DoC (disorders of consciousness), eMCS (emergence from minimally conscious state), FC (functional communication), FOU (functional object use), IQR (Interquartile Range), MCS (minimally conscious state)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- The minimally conscious state: definition and diagnostic criteria.Neurology. 2002; 58: 349-353
- The JFK Coma Recovery Scale-Revised: measurement characteristics and diagnostic utility.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 2020-2029
- Practice guideline update recommendations summary: disorders of consciousness: report of the guideline development, dissemination, and implementation subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology; the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine; and the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 99: 1699-1709
- Serial yes/no reliability after traumatic brain injury: implications regarding the operational criteria for emergence from the minimally conscious state.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2008; 79: 216-218
- Emergence from minimally conscious state: insights from evaluation of posttraumatic confusion.Neurology. 2009; 73: 1120-1126
- Prolonged disorders of consciousness following sudden onset brain injury: national clinical guidelines.RCP, London2020
- Prediction of functional outcomes after traumatic brain injury: a comparison of 2 measures of duration of unconsciousness.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 82: 1355-1359
- The REDCap consortium: building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95103208
- Poster 21: Criteria for emergence from the minimally conscious state: what about consistent command-following?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: e18
- Minimally conscious state “plus”: diagnostic criteria and relation to functional recovery.J Neurol. 2020; 267: 1245-1254
- Behavioral neuroanatomy: large-scale networks, association cortex, frontal syndromes, the limbic system and hemispheric specialization.Principles of Behavioral and Cognitive Neurology. 2nd ed. Oxford University Press, New York2000
- Cognitive impairment, clinical symptoms and functional disability in patients emerging from the minimally conscious state.NeuroRehabilitation. 2020; 46: 65-74
This reference is for a published abstract in Arch Phys Med Rehab. The presentation was sponsored by the American Congress for Rehabilitation Medicine in 2009
Developed under grants from the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (90DPTB0011), which is a Center within the Administration for Community Living (ACL), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Tiny Blue Dot Foundation, and the James S. McDonnell Foundation.