To investigate whether muscle energy technique (MET) to the thoracic spine decreases the pain and disability associated with shoulder impingement syndrome (SIS).
Single-center, 3-arm, randomized controlled trial, single-blind, placebo control with concealed allocation and a 12-month follow-up.
Private osteopathic practice.
Three groups of 25 participants (N=75) 40 years or older with SIS received allocated intervention once a week for 15 minutes, 4 consecutive weeks.
Participants were randomly allocated to MET to the thoracic spine (MET-only), MET plus soft tissue massage (MET+STM), or placebo.
Main Outcome Measures
Primary outcome measure: Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder, and Hand (DASH) questionnaire. Secondary outcome measures: Shoulder Pain and Disability Index (SPADI) questionnaire; visual analog scale (VAS) (mm/100): current, 7-day average, and 4-week average; Patient-Specific Functional Scale (PSFS); and Global Rating of Change (GROC). Measures recorded at baseline, discharge, 4-week follow-up, 6 months, and 12 months. Also baseline and discharge thoracic posture and range of motion (ROM) measured using an inclinometer. Statistical analysis included mixed-effects linear regression model for DASH, SPADI, VAS, PSFS, GROC, and thoracic posture and ROM.
MET-only group demonstrated significantly greater improvement in pain and disability (DASH, SPADI, VAS 7-day average) than placebo at discharge (mean difference, DASH=−8.4; 95% CI, −14.0 to −2.8; SPADI=−14.7; 95% CI, −23.0 to −6.3; VAS=−15.5; 95% CI, −24.5 to −6.5), 6 months (−11.1; 95% CI, −18.6 to −3.7; −14.9; 95% CI, −26.3 to −3.5; −14.1; 95% CI, −26.0 to −2.2), and 12 months (−13.4; 95% CI, −23.9 to−2.9; −19.0; 95% CI, −32.4 to −5.7; −17.3; 95% CI, −30.9 to −3.8). MET+STM group also demonstrated greater improvement in disability but not pain compared with placebo at discharge (DASH=−8.2; 95% CI, −14.0 to −2.3; SPADI=−13.5; 95% CI, −22.3 to −4.8) and 6 months (−9.0; 95% CI, −16.9 to −1.2; −12.4; 95% CI, −24.3 to −0.5). For the PSFS, MET-only group improved compared with placebo at discharge (1.3; 95% CI, 0.1-2.5) and 12 months (1.8; 95% CI, 0.5-3.2); MET+STM at 12 months (1.7; 95% CI, 0.3-3.0). GROC: MET-only group improved compared with placebo at discharge (1.5; 95% CI, 0.9-2.2) and 4 weeks (1.0; 95% CI, 0.1-1.9); MET+STM at discharge (1.2; 95% CI, 0.5-1.9) and 6 months (1.2; 95% CI, 0.1-1.3). There were no differences between MET-only group and MET+STM, and no between-group differences in thoracic posture or ROM.
MET of the thoracic spine with or without STM improved the pain and disability in individuals 40 years or older with SIS and may be recommended as a treatment approach for SIS.
List of abbreviations:DASH (Disabilities of the Arm Shoulder and Hand), GROC (Global Rating of Change), HVLA (high-velocity low-amplitude), ICC (intraclass correlation coefficient), MCID (minimal clinically important difference), MET (muscle energy technique), PSFS (Patient-Specific Functional Scale), ROM (range of motion), SIS (shoulder impingement syndrome), SPADI (Shoulder Pain and Disability Index), STM (soft tissue massage), VAS (visual analog scale)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prevalence and incidence of shoulder pain in the general population; a systematic review.Scand J Rheumatol. 2004; 33: 73-81
- Incidence, prevalence, and consultation rates of shoulder complaints in general practice.Scand J Rheumatol. 2012; 41: 150-155
- Shoulder impingement: relationship of clinical symptoms and imaging criteria.Clin J Sport Med. 2009; 19: 83-89
- Diagnosis and relation to general health of shoulder disorders presenting to primary care.Rheumatology. 2005; 44: 800-805
- Diagnostic ultrasound.5th ed. Elsevier/Mosby, St Louis2018
- The diagnosis of subacromial impingement syndrome and associated pathology in the primary care setting. Masters thesis. Aukland University of Technology, New Zealand2009
- Rotator cuff related shoulder pain: assessment, management and uncertainties.Man Ther. 2016; 23: 57-68
- The value of physical tests for subacromial impingement syndrome: a study of diagnostic accuracy.Clin Rehabil. 2010; 24: 149-158
- Conservative treatment or surgery for shoulder impingement: systematic review and meta-analysis.Disabil Rehabil. 2015; 37: 1-8
- Thoracic position effect on shoulder range of motion, strength, and three-dimensional scapular kinematics.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999; 80: 945-950
- Shoulder impingement: the effect of sitting posture on shoulder pain and range of motion.Man Ther. 2005; 10: 28-37
- Subacromial impingement syndrome: the effect of changing posture on shoulder range of movement.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2005; 35: 72-87
- Co-occurrence of outlet impingement syndrome of the shoulder and restricted range of motion in the thoracic spine - a prospective study with ultrasound-based motion analysis.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2010; 11: 135
- Subacromial impingement syndrome: the role of posture and muscle imbalance.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2005; 14: 385-392
- Association between kyphosis and subacromial impingement syndrome: LOHAS study.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014; 23: e300-e307
- Shoulder function and 3-dimensional scapula kinematics in people with and without shoulder impingement syndrome.Phys Ther. 2006; 86: 1075-1088
- Postural alterations in patients with subacromial impingement syndrome.Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2017; 12: 1111-1120
- Relationship between shoulder impingement syndrome and thoracic posture.Phys Ther. 2020; 100: 677-686
- The comparative effects of upper thoracic spine thrust manipulation techniques in individuals with subacromial pain syndrome: a randomized clinical trial.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2019; 49: 716-724
- The short-term effects of thoracic spine thrust manipulation on patients with shoulder impingement syndrome.Man Ther. 2009; 14: 375-380
- Scapular kinematics pre- and post-thoracic thrust manipulation in individuals with and without shoulder impingement symptoms: a randomized controlled study.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2014; 44: 475-487
- Immediate changes in pressure pain sensitivity after thoracic spinal manipulative therapy in patients with subacromial impingement syndrome: a randomized controlled study.Man Ther. 2014; 20: 540-546
- The effects of thoracic spine manipulation in subjects with signs of rotator cuff tendinopathy.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2012; 42: 1005-1016
- The immediate effects of thoracic spine and rib manipulation on subjects with primary complaints of shoulder pain.J Man Manip Ther. 2009; 17: 230-236
- Principles of manual medicine.3rd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2003
- Foundations of osteopathic medicine.3rd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore2011
- Manual therapy and exercise for rotator cuff disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 6CD012224
- Efficacy of standardised manual therapy and home exercise programme for chronic rotator cuff disease: randomised placebo controlled trial.BMJ. 2010; 340: c2756
- Prevalence of symptomatic and asymptomatic rotator cuff tears in the general population: from mass-screening in one village.J Orthop. 2013; 10: 8-12
- Population-based consultation patterns in patients with shoulder pain diagnosis.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2012; 13: 238
- A systematic review and pooled analysis of the prevalence of rotator cuff disease with increasing age.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014; 23: 1913-1921
- Measures of adult shoulder function: Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder, and Hand Questionnaire (DASH) and its short version (QuickDASH), Shoulder Pain and Disability Index (SPADI), American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons (ASES) Society standardized shoulder assessment form, Constant (Murley) Score (CS), Simple Shoulder Test (SST), Oxford Shoulder Score (OSS), Shoulder Disability Questionnaire (SDQ), and Western Ontario Shoulder Instability Index (WOSI).Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011; 63: S174-S188
- Relibility and diagnostic accuracy of 5 physical examination tests and combination for subacromial impingement.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 1898-1903
- Visual analogue scale, numeric pain rating scale and the McGill Pain Questionnaire: an overview of psychometric properties.Phys Ther Rev. 2013; 10: 123-128
- Evaluative measurement properties of the patient-specific functional scale for primary shoulder complaints in physical therapy practice.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2014; 44: 595-603
- Global Rating of Change scales: a review of strengths and weaknesses and considerations for design.J Man Manip Ther. 2009; 17: 163-170
- Surface anatomy.3rd ed. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh2002
- Identification of the correct cervical level by palpation of spinous processes.Anesth Analg. 2011; 112: 1232-1235
- Musculoskeletal assessment: joint motion and muscle testing.3rd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2013
- The design and analysis of clinical experiments.John Wiley & Sons, New York1986
- Reliability and validity of single inclinometer measurements for thoracic spine range of motion.Physiother Can. 2003; 55: 73-78
- Orthopedic massage: theory and technique.2nd ed. Churchill Livingstone, London2009
- Comparison of eccentric and concentric exercise interventions in adults with subacromial impingement syndrome.Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2015; 10: 441-455
- Effects of stretching and strengthening exercises, with and without manual therapy, on scapular kinematics, function, and pain in individuals with shoulder impingement: a randomized controlled trial.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2015; 45: 984-997
- Responsiveness and minimal important change of the Norwegian version of the Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand questionnaire (DASH) in patients with subacromial pain syndrome.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017; 18: 248
- Applied longitudinal analysis.2nd ed. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ2011
- Minimal clinically important differences (MCID) and patient acceptable symptomatic state (PASS) for visual analog scales (VAS) measuring pain in patients treated for rotator cuff disease.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2009; 18: 927-932
- A guideline of selecting and reporting intraclass correlation coefficients for reliability research.J Chiropr Med. 2016; 15: 155-163
- Kyphosis and decline in physical function over 15 years in older community-dwelling women: the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013; 68: 976-983
- Influence of age on cervicothoracic spinal curvature: an ex vivo radiographic survey.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2002; 17: 361-367
- Thoracic kyphosis: range in normal subjects.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1980; 134: 979-983
- Unraveling the mechanisms of manual therapy: modeling an approach.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2018; 48: 8-18
- Neurophysiological effects of spinal manipulation.Spine J. 2002; 2: 357-371
- The mechanisms of manual therapy in the treatment of musculoskeletal pain: a comprehensive model.Man Ther. 2009; 14: 531-538
- Foundations for osteopathic medicine.Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore1997
- Prevalence and incidence of adults consulting for shoulder conditions in UK primary care; patterns of diagnosis and referral.Rheumatology. 2006; 45: 215-221
- Rotator cuff tear and glenohumeral instability: a systematic review.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014; 472: 2448-2456
- Risk factors for rotator cuff tendinopathy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Rehabil Med. 2019; 51: 627-637
- Impingement lesions.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1983; 173: 70-77
Published online: March 21, 2022
Accepted: March 15, 2022
Received in revised form: March 9, 2022
Received: October 18, 2021
Trial Registration: Australia New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry: ACTRN12618000845235.
© 2022 by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine.