Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:AQ (Aphasia Quotient), SE (speech entrainment), WAB-R (Western Aphasia Battery-Revised), wpm (words per minute)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Aphasia in North America: frequency, demographics, impact of aphasia, communication access, services and service gaps.AphasiaAccess, Moorestown, NJ2018
- Speech and language therapy for aphasia following stroke.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 6CD000425
- Aphasia, apraxia of speech, and dysarthria.in: Stein J Harvey R Winstein C Zorowitz R Wittenberg GF stroke recovery and rehabilitation. Demos Medical Publishers, New York2015: 181-206 (editors)
- Principles of neurorehabilitation after stroke based on motor learning and brain plasticity mechanisms.Front Syst Neurosci. 2019; 13: 74
- The role of syntactic complexity in training wh-movement structures in agrammatic aphasia: optimal order for promoting generalization.J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 1998; 4: 661-674
- Treatment and generalization of complex sentence production in agrammatism.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 1999; 42: 690-707
- The role of syntactic complexity in treatment of sentence deficits in agrammatic aphasia: the complexity account of treatment efficacy (CATE).J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2003; 46: 591-607
- Complexity in treatment of syntactic deficits.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2007; 16: 30-42
- Complexity in the treatment of naming deficits.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2007; 16: 18-29
- Semantic complexity in treatment of naming deficits in aphasia: evidence from well-defined categories.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2008; 17: 389-400
- Typicality of inanimate category exemplars in aphasia treatment: further evidence for semantic complexity.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2008; 51: 1550-1568
- Phonological complexity and language learnability.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2007; 16: 6-17
- Accuracy monitoring and task demand evaluation in aphasia.Aphasiology. 1997; 11: 401-414
- Do errors matter? Errorless and errorful learning in anomic picture naming.Neuropsychol Rehabil. 2007; 17: 355-373
- Video-based conversational script training for aphasia: a therapy study.Aphasiology. 2011; 25: 191-201
- Computerized script training for aphasia: preliminary results.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2008; 17: 19-34
- Conversational script performance in adults with non-fluent aphasia: treatment intensity and aphasia severity.Aphasiology. 2009; 23: 885-897
- Script training and generalization for people with aphasia.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2012; 21: 222-238
- Script training and automaticity in two individuals with aphasia.Aphasiology. 2005; 19: 435-450
- Can script training improve narrative and conversation in aphasia across etiology?.Semin Speech Lang. 2020; 41: 99-124
- Patient-reported changes in communication after computer-based script training for aphasia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 623-627
- Computer-based script training for aphasia: emerging themes from post-treatment interviews.J Commun Disord. 2011; 44: 493-501
- Aphasia treatment: intensity, dose parameters, and script training.Int J Speech Lang Pathol. 2012; 14: 424-431
- Impact of personal relevance on acquisition and generalization of script training for aphasia: a preliminary analysis.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2015; 24: S913-S922
- Optimising recovery in aphasia: learning following exposure to a single dose of computer-based script training.Int J Speech Lang Pathol. 2019; 21: 448-458
- Acquisition and maintenance of scripts in aphasia: a comparison of two cuing conditions.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2014; 23: S343-S360
- Western Aphasia Battery (revised).PsychCorp, San Antonio2007
- Script templates: a practical approach to script training in aphasia.Top Lang Disord. 2016; 36: 136-153
- Derivation of new readability formulas (Automated Readability Index, Fog Count, and Flesch Reading Ease formula) for Navy enlisted personnel. Research branch report 8-75, Chief of Naval technical training.Naval Air Station, Memphis1975
- Validity, reliability and sensitivity of the NORLA-6: naming and oral reading for language in aphasia 6-point scale.Int J Speech Lang Pathol. 2018; 20: 274-283
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences.Laurence Erlbaum and Associates, Hillsdale, NJ1988
- Does naming accuracy improve through self-monitoring of errors?.Neuropsychologia. 2016; 84: 272-281
- Speech entrainment enables patients with Broca’s aphasia to produce fluent speech.Brain. 2012; 135: 3815-3829
- Speech entrainment compensates for Broca's area damage.Cortex. 2015; 69: 68-75
- Neural structures supporting spontaneous and assisted (entrained) speech fluency.Brain. 2019; 142: 3951-3962
- Speech timing changes accompany speech entrainment in aphasia.J Commun Disord. 2021; 90106090
Supported by the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, Award Nos. 1R01 DC011754 and 1R01 DC016979 to L.R.C. and S.V.V.
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT01597037.
Disclosures: Dr Cherney reports that AphasiaScripts is commercially available from the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab. Dr Cherney receives salary from the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab but has no financial interest in the software sales.
This paper is part of a supplement from the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine.