Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services), IRF (inpatient rehabilitation facility), IRF-PAI (Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility Patient Assessment Instrument)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Shorter length of stay is associated with worse functional outcomes for medicare beneficiaries with stroke.Phys Ther. 2013; 93: 1592-1602
- Regional variation in stroke rehabilitation outcomes.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 29-38
- Risk adjustment in rehabilitation quality improvement.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2010; 17: 252-261
- Predictors of gains during inpatient rehabilitation in patients with stroke: a review.Crit Rev Phys Rehabil Med. 2013; 25: 203-221
- Effects of patient preinjury and injury characteristics on acute rehabilitation outcomes for traumatic brain injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: S209-S221
- Is pre-fracture functional status better than cognitive level in predicting short-term outcome of elderly hip fracture patients?.Arch Med Sci. 2012; 8: 115
- A systematic review of studies reporting multivariable models to predict functional outcomes after post-stroke inpatient rehabilitation.Disabil Rehabil. 2015; 37: 1316-1323
- Cognitive impairment in acquired brain injury: a predictor of rehabilitation outcomes and an opportunity for novel interventions.PM R. 2011; 3: S45-S51
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility (IRF) Quality Reporting Program (QRP). Available at:https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/IRF-Quality-Reporting. Accessed October 30, 2021.
The Patient Protection and Afforable Care Act of 2010, Public Law No. 111-148, 124, Stat. 119 through 1025. 2010.
- Medicare program; inpatient rehabilitation facility prospective payment system for federal fiscal year 2016.Fed Regist. 2015; 80: 47036-47139
Gage B, Constantine R, Aggarwal J, et al. The development and testing of the Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set, volume 1 of 3. Waltham, MA: RTI International; 2012.
Gage B, Smith L, Ross J, et al. The development and testing of the Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set: final report on reliability testing, volume 2 of 3. Waltham, MA: RTI International; 2012.
- Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set: video reliability testing.RTI International, Waltham, MA2012
Smith L, Deutsch A, Hand L, et al., Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set: additional provider-type specific interrater reliability analyses. Waltham, MA: RTI International; 2012.
- Post-acute care payment reform demonstration: final report volume 4 of 4.RTI International, Waltham, MA2012
- The inpatient rehabilitation facility change in self-care and change in mobility quality measures: development and reliability and validity testing.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2022 Feb 8; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Development of a risk-adjustment model for the inpatient rehabilitation facility discharge self-care functional status quality measure.Med Care. 2017; 55: 706-715
- Adjusting quality measures for social risk factors can promote equity in health care: article examines adjusting quality measures to account for social risk factors.Health Aff (Millwood). 2021; 40: 637-644
- Report to Congress: social risk factors and performance under Medicare’s value-based purchasing programs.US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2018
- Report to Congress: Medicare and the health care delivery system.Medicare Payment Advisory Commission, Washington, DC2019
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility (IRF) Quality Reporting Program (QRP) Measures Information. Available at:https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/IRF-Quality-Reporting/IRF-Quality-Reporting-Program-Measures-Information-.html. Accessed October 30, 2021.
Current affiliation for McMullen: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, DC.
Supported by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) under contract HHSM-500-2013-13015I and RTI International.