Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services), IRF (inpatient rehabilitation facility), IRF-PAI (Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility–Patient Assessment Instrument)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Shorter length of stay is associated with worse functional outcomes for medicare beneficiaries with stroke.Phys Ther. 2013; 93: 1592-1602
- Regional variation in stroke rehabilitation outcomes.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 29-38
- Using the new postacute care quality measures to demonstrate the value of occupational therapy.Am J Occup Ther. 2018; 72 (7202090010p7202090011-6)
- Risk adjustment in rehabilitation quality improvement.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2010; 17: 252-261
- Predictors of gains during inpatient rehabilitation in patients with stroke: a review.Crit Rev Phys Rehabil Med. 2013; 25: 203-221
- Effects of patient preinjury and injury characteristics on acute rehabilitation outcomes for traumatic brain injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96 (Suppl): S209-S221
- Is pre-fracture functional status better than cognitive level in predicting short-term outcome of elderly hip fracture patients?.Arch Med Sci. 2012; 8: 115
- A systematic review of studies reporting multivariable models to predict functional outcomes after post-stroke inpatient rehabilitation.Disabil Rehabil. 2015; 37: 1316-1323
- Cognitive impairment in acquired brain injury: a predictor of rehabilitation outcomes and an opportunity for novel interventions.PM R. 2011; 3 (Suppl 1): S45-S51
- National Quality Forum guidelines for evaluating the scientific acceptability of risk-adjusted clinical outcome measures: a report from the National Quality Forum Scientific Methods Panel.Ann Surg. 2020; 271: 1048-1055
- Risk Adjustment for measuring healthcare outcomes.Health Adminstration Press, Chicago, IL2012
- Medicare program; inpatient rehabilitation facility prospective payment system for federal fiscal year 2016.Fed Regist. 2015; 80: 47036-47139
Gage B, Constantine R, Aggarwal J, et al. The development and testing of the Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set, volume 1 of 3. Waltham, MA: RTI International; 2012.
Gage B, Smith L, Ross J, et al. The development and testing of the Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set: final report on reliability testing, volume 2 of 3. Waltham, MA: RTI International; 2012.
- Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set: video reliability testing.RTI International, Waltham, MA2012
- Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set: additional provider-type specific interrater reliability analyses.RTI International, Waltham, MA2012
- Statistical methods to compare functional outcomes in randomized controlled trials with high mortality.BMJ. 2018; 360: j5748
- Development of a risk-adjustment model for the inpatient rehabilitation facility discharge self-care functional status quality measure.Med Care. 2017; 55: 706-715
- The inpatient rehabilitation facility change in self-care and change in mobility quality measures: development and reliability and validity testing.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2021 Feb 7; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Dependence in prestroke mobility predicts adverse outcomes among patients with acute ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2008; 39: 2298-2303
- US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington (DC)2018 Report to Congress: social risk factors and performance under Medicare’s value-based purchasing programs.
- Accounting for social risk factors in Medicare payment.National Academies Press, Washington (DC)2017
- Report to Congress: Medicare and the Health Care Delivery System.Medicare Payment Advisory Commission, Washington (DC)2019
Supported by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) under contract HHSM-500-2013-13015I and RTI International.
The statements contained in the manuscript are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of CMS. The authors assume responsibility for the accuracy and completeness of the information.