Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:AGREE-REX (Appraisal of Guidelines Research and Evaluation-Recommendations Excellence), CFIR (Consolidated Framework for Implementation Research), CPG (Clinical Practice Guideline), mTBI (mild traumatic brain injury), VHA (Veterans Health Administration)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- A Rasch analysis of the Neurobehavioral Symptom Inventory in a national cohort of Operation Enduring and Iraqi Freedom veterans with mild traumatic brain injury.Psychol Assess. 2018; 30: 1013-1027
- Systematic review of self-reported prognosis in adults after mild traumatic brain injury: results of the International Collaboration on Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Prognosis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: S132-S151
- Prognostic indicators of persistent post-concussive symptoms after deployment-related mild traumatic brain injury: a prospective longitudinal study in US Army soldiers.J Neurotrauma. 2016; 33: 2125-2132
- Epidemiology and prognosis of mild traumatic brain injury in returning soldiers: a cohort study.Neurology. 2017; 88: 1571-1579
- Symptom trajectories after military blast exposure and the influence of mild traumatic brain injury.J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2017; 32: E16-E26
- Outcome trends after US military concussive traumatic brain injury.J Neurotrauma. 2017; 34: 2206-2219
- Trajectory of postconcussive symptoms 12 months after deployment in soldiers with and without mild traumatic brain injury: Warrior Strong Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2019; 188: 77-86
- Analysis of US Veterans Health Administration comprehensive evaluations for traumatic brain injury in Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom veterans.Brain Inj. 2012; 26: 1177-1184
- Screening for postdeployment conditions: development and cross-validation of an embedded validity scale in the neurobehavioral symptom inventory.Journal Head Trauma Rehabil. 2014; 29: 1-10
- Mild head trauma and chronic headaches in returning US soldiers.Headache. 2009; 49: 529-534
- Why sleep matters—the economic costs of insufficient sleep: a cross-country comparative analysis.RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA2016
- Natural history of headache five years after traumatic brain injury.J Neurotrauma. 2017; 34: 1558-1564
- Factors associated with the remission of insomnia after traumatic brain injury: a traumatic brain injury model systems study.Brain Inj. 2020; 34: 187-194
- The relationship between insomnia and disability in workers with mild traumatic brain injury/concussion: insomnia and disability in chronic mild traumatic brain injury.Sleep Med. 2016; 20: 157-166
- Association of traumatic brain injury with chronic pain in Iraq and Afghanistan veterans: effect of comorbid mental health conditions.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 98: 1636-1645
- Management of concussion and mild traumatic brain injury: a synthesis of practice guidelines.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 101: 382-393
- VA/DoD clinical practice guideline for management of concussion-mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI).Washington, DC: The Office of Quality and Performance, VA & Quality Management Directorate, US Army Medical Command. 2016;
- Restoring effective sleep tranquility (REST): a feasibility and pilot study.Br J Occup Ther. 2017; 80: 350-360
- Behavioral treatments for post-traumatic headache.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2017; 21: 1-9
- Does cognitive-behavioural therapy improve sleep outcomes in individuals with traumatic brain injury: a scoping review.Brain Inj. 2020; 34: 1-10
- Veterans Affairs primary care provider perceptions of insomnia treatment.J Clin Sleep Med. 2017; 13: 991-999
- Fostering implementation of health services research findings into practice: a consolidated framework for advancing implementation science.Implement Sci. 2009; 4: 50
- Individual, health system, and contextual barriers and facilitators for the implementation of clinical practice guidelines: a systematic metareview.Health Res Policy Syst. 2020; 18: 1-11
- The Consolidated Framework for Implementation Research (CFIR): a useful theoretical framework for guiding and evaluating a guideline implementation process in a hospital-based nursing practice.BMC Nurs. 2015; 14: 1-9
VA/DoD. Management and rehabilitation of post-acute mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI). Washington, DC: The Office of Quality and Performance, VA & Quality Management Directorate, US Army Medical Command; 2021.
- Designing and conducting mixed methods research.3rd ed. SAGE, Thousand Oaks, CA2018
- Purposeful sampling for qualitative data collection and analysis in mixed method implementation research.Adm Policy Ment Health. 2015; 42: 533-544
- Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Development and validation of a tool to assess the quality of clinical practice guideline recommendations.JAMA Network Open. 2020; 3e205535
- Assessment of the quality of recommendations from 161 clinical practice guidelines using the Appraisal of Guidelines for Research and Evaluation-Recommendations Excellence (AGREE-REX) instrument shows there is room for improvement.Implement Sci. 2020; 15: 1-8
AGREE-REX Research Team. The Appraisal of Guidelines Research & Evaluation—Recommendation EXcellence (AGREE-REX). Available at: https://www.agreetrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/AGREE-REX-Tool-PDF-version.pdf. Accessed July 31, 2019.
CFIR Research Team-Center for Clinical Management Research. CFIR interview guide tool. CFIR Research Team-Center for Clinical Management Research. Available at: https://cfirguide.org/guide/app/#/. Accessed March 20, 2020.
- Essentials of descriptive-interpretive qualitative research: a generic approach.American Psychological Association, Washington DC2021
- Consolidated Criteria for Reporting Qualitative Research (COREQ): a 32-item checklist for interviews and focus groups.Int J Quality Health Care. 2007; 19: 349-357
- Demonstrating validity in qualitative psychology.Qual Psychol. 2008; 2: 235-251
- Foundations of mixed methods research: integrating quantitative and qualitative approaches in the social and behavioral sciences.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2009
- Clinical practice guidelines for rehabilitation in traumatic brain injury: a critical appraisal.Brain Inj. 2019; 33: 1263-1271
- Quality of clinical practice guidelines for persons who have sustained mild traumatic brain injury.Brain Inj. 2011; 25: 742-751
AGREE Next Steps Consortium. The AGREE II Instrument. Available at: http://www.agreetrust.org. Accessed February 1, 2019.
- Traumatic brain injury clinical practice guidelines and best practices from the VA state of the art conference.Brain Inj. 2017; 31: 1246-1251
VA/DoD. VA/DoD clinical practice guideline for the management of chronic insomnia disorder and obstructive sleep apnea. Washington, DC: The Office of Quality and Performance, VA & Quality Management Directorate, US Army Medical Command; 2019.
VA/DoD. VA/DoD clinical practice guideline for the primary care management of headache. Washington, DC: The Office of Quality and Performance, VA & Quality Management Directorate, US Army Medical Command; 2020.
- Clinical dashboard development and use for academic detailing in the US Department of Veterans Affairs.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2019; 59: S96-103
- Dashboards for improving patient care: review of the literature.Int J Med Inform. 2015; 84: 87-100
- Development and applications of the Veterans Health Administration's Stratification Tool for Opioid Risk Mitigation (STORM) to improve opioid safety and prevent overdose and suicide.Psychol Serv. 2017; 14: 34-49
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). CMS Quality Measure Development Plan: supporting the transition to the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) and Alternative Payment Models (APMs) Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Available at:https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/Value-Based-Programs/MACRA-MIPS-and-APMs/Final-MDP.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2019.
- Baseline variation in use of VA/DOD clinical practice guideline recommended opioid prescribing practices across VA health care systems.Clin J Pain. 2015; 31: 803-812
- Protocol: examining the effectiveness of an adaptive implementation intervention to improve uptake of the VA suicide risk identification strategy: a sequential multiple assignment randomized trial.Implement Sci. 2020; 15: 1-12
- Outcomes for implementation research: conceptual distinctions, measurement challenges, and research agenda.Adm Policy Ment Health. 2011; 38: 65-76
Disclsoures: Dr Brenner reports grants from the VA, DOD, NIH, and the State of Colorado, editorial renumeration from Wolters Kluwer, and royalties from the American Psychological Association and Oxford University Press. In addition, she consults with sports leagues via her university affiliation.
VHA Disclosure: This presentation is based on work supported by a Polytrauma/TBI Advanced Fellowship from the VA Office of Academic Affiliations but does not necessarily represent the views of the Department of Veterans Affairs or the United States Government. Study findings were also disseminated as an oral presentation at the 2021 American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine and the 2021 Virtual World Congress on Brain Injury.