- •The combination of voluntary contractions with electrical stimulation is effective for reducing peripheral pain sensitivity locally at the knee in women with obesity with knee osteoarthritis.
- •Walking combined with electrical stimulation improves symptomatic knee pain and quality of life.
- •Walking combined with electrical stimulation would be a simple and easy-to-implement means of reducing peripheral sensitivity.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), ES (electrical stimulation), HTS (hybrid training system), HTSW (hybrid training system during walking), KOA (knee osteoarthritis), KOOS (Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score), PPT (pressure pain threshold), TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation), VAS (visual analog scale), VC (volitional contraction)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Risk factors for onset of osteoarthritis of the knee in older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2010; 18: 24-33
- Obesity and pain are associated in the United States.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2012; 20: 1491-1495
- Pressure pain thresholds in individuals with knee pain: a cross-sectional study.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2021; 22: 516
- Increasing prevalence of knee pain and symptomatic knee osteoarthritis: survey and cohort data.Ann Intern Med. 2011; 155: 725-732
- Pain susceptibility phenotypes in those free of knee pain with or at risk of knee osteoarthritis: the Multicenter Osteoarthritis Study.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2019; 71: 542-549
- Mechanisms of chronic pain in osteoarthritis.Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2012; 14: 549-556
- Pain sensitization in people with knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2015; 23: 1043-1056
- Knee pain as a predictor of structural progression over 4 years: data from the Osteoarthritis Initiative, a prospective cohort study.Arthritis Res Ther. 2018; 20: 250
- The role of exercise for weight loss and maintenance.Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2004; 18: 1009-1029
- Exercise prescription for weight management in obese adults at risk for osteoarthritis: synthesis from a systematic review.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019; 20: 610
- Association of exercise therapy and reduction of pain sensitivity in patients with knee osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2014; 66: 1836-1843
- Exercise-induced hypoalgesia in people with knee osteoarthritis with normal and abnormal conditioned pain modulation.Clin J Pain. 2017; 33: 395-404
- Does exercise increase or decrease pain? Central mechanisms underlying these two phenomena.J Physiol. 2017; 595: 4141-4150
- Impact of exercise type and dose on pain and disability in knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-regression analysis of randomized controlled trials.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2014; 66: 622-636
- Pain response after maximal aerobic exercise in adolescents across weight status.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2015; 47: 2431-2440
- Knee osteoarthritis and exercise adherence: a review.Curr Aging Sci. 2012; 5: 72-83
- Exercise in weight management of obesity.Cardiol Clin. 2001; 19: 459-470
- Osteoarthritis: physical medicine and rehabilitation–nonpharmacological management.Wien Med Wochenschr. 2013; 163: 228-235
- Transcutaneous electrostimulation for osteoarthritis of the knee.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009; 4CD002823
- Combined application of neuromuscular electrical stimulation and voluntary muscular contractions.Sports Med. 2008; 38: 161-177
- Agonist contractions against electrically stimulated antagonists.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: 843-848
N Shiba, T Maeda, Y Tagawa, et al. inventors; Kurume University, assignee. Apparatus for strengthening muscles. U.S. patent 6,456,885. 09/24/2002.
- Walking exercise simultaneously combined with neuromuscular electrical stimulation of antagonists resistance improved muscle strength, physical function, and knee pain in symptomatic knee osteoarthritis: a single-arm study.J Strength Cond Res. 2017; 31: 171-180
- The effect of neuromuscular electrical stimulation during walking on muscle strength and knee pain in obese women with knee pain: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 99: 56-64
- Osteoarthritis year in review 2015: rehabilitation and outcomes.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2016; 24: 58-70
- Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS)–development of a self-administered outcome measure.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1998; 28: 88-96
- Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS): systematic review and meta-analysis of measurement properties.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2016; 24: 1317-1329
- Increasing muscle strength and mass of thigh in elderly people with the hybrid-training method of electrical stimulation and volitional contraction.Tohoku J Exp Med. 2010; 221: 77-85
- Evaluation of the combined application of neuromuscular electrical stimulation and volitional contractions on thigh muscle strength, knee pain, and physical performance in women at risk for knee osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial.PM R. 2018; 10: 1301-1310
- Reliability and responsiveness of algometry for measuring pressure pain threshold in patients with knee osteoarthritis.J Phys Ther Sci. 2015; 27: 1961-1965
- Assessment of mechanisms in localized and widespread musculoskeletal pain.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2010; 6: 599-606
- Chronic widespread pain and its associations with quality of life and function at a 20- year follow-up of individuals with chronic knee pain at inclusion.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019; 20: 592
- Knee pain and structural damage as risk factors for incident widespread pain: data from the Multicenter Osteoarthritis Study.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2017; 69: 826-832
- Individual factors and physical work load in relation to sensory thresholds in a middle-aged general population sample.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2002; 86: 418-427
- The role of exercise and physical activity in weight loss and maintenance.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2014; 56: 441-447
- Treatment of central sensitization in patients with 'unexplained' chronic pain: an update.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2014; 15: 1671-1683
- Pain sensitivity is reduced by exercise training: evidence from a systematic review and meta-analysis.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2021; 120: 100-108
- In vivo cartilage deformation after different types of activity and its dependence on physical training status.Ann Rheum Dis. 2005; 64: 291-295
- Cycling exercise to resist electrically stimulated antagonist increases oxygen uptake in males: pilot study.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2013; 50: 545-554
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) for chronic pain - an overview of Cochrane Reviews.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 4CD011890
- Hypoalgesia in response to transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) depends on stimulation intensity.J Pain. 2011; 12: 929-935
- Hybrid training system improves insulin resistance in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a randomized controlled pilot study.Tohoku J Exp Med. 2020; 252: 23-32
- A meta-analytic review of the hypoalgesic effects of exercise.J Pain. 2012; 13: 1139-1150
- Oxygen uptake during aerobic cycling exercise simultaneously combined with neuromuscular electrical stimulation of antagonists.J Nov Physiother. 2013; 3: 185
- Effects of aerobic exercise on pain sensitivity, heart rate recovery, and health-related quality of life in patients with chronic musculoskeletal pain.Int J Rehabil Res. 2017; 40: 164-170
- Psychosocial correlates of cardiorespiratory fitness and muscle strength in overweight and obese post-menopausal women: a MONET study.J Sports Sci. 2008; 26: 935-940
- Pain threshold correlates with functional scores in osteoarthritis patients.Acta Orthop. 2015; 86: 215-219
- Strategies for the prevention of knee osteoarthritis.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2016; 12: 92-101
- Increased pain sensitivity but normal function of exercise induced analgesia in hip and knee osteoarthritis–treatment effects of neuromuscular exercise and total joint replacement.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2013; 21: 1299-1307
- Effect of long-term neck muscle training on pressure pain threshold: a randomized controlled trial.Eur J Pain. 2005; 9: 673-681
- Electrical stimulation of the antagonist muscle during cycling exercise interval training improves oxygen uptake and muscle strength.J Strength Cond Res. 2021; 35: 111-117
- Effects of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation on pain, pain sensitivity, and function in people with knee osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial.Phys Ther. 2012; 92: 898-910
A portion of the results of this study was presented to the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the Annual Assembly, October 25-28, 2018, Orlando, Florida.
Supported in part by the Milbank Foundation Chronic Pain Management Research Grant through the Foundation for Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. This work was supported in part by a CTSA grant from NCRR and NCATS awarded to the University of Kansas Medical Center for Frontiers: The Heartland Institute for Clinical and Translational Research # UL1RR033179, which is now at NCATS # UL1TR000001. The contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the NIH or NCATS.
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT02730598.
Disclosures: Dr Segal has financial relationships with Flexion Therapeutics, Pacira CryoHealth, and Tenex Health, outside the submitted work. The other authors have nothing to disclose.