Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CARE (Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation), CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services), HHA (home health agency), IMPACT Act (Improving Medicare Post-Acute Care Transformation Act), IRF (inpatient rehabilitation facility), LTCH (long-term care hospital), NQF (National Quality Forum), PAC (post-acute care), QRP (Quality Reporting Program), SNF (skilled nursing facility)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Report to Congress.Medicare Payment Advisory Commission, Washington (DC)2018
- Rehabilitation care and outcomes from the patient's perspective.Med Care. 1997; 35 (JS48-57; discussion JS58-63)
- Exploring the personal reality of disability and recovery: a tool for empowering the rehabilitation process.Qual Health Res. 2008; 18: 90-105
- Rehabilitation care and outcomes from the patient's perspective.Report: Group E. Med Care. 1997; 35 (JS64-67)
- NQF-endorsed measures for person- and family-centered care phase 2.National Quality Forum, Washington, DC2016
- Disability meanings according to patients and clinicians: imagined recovery choice pathways.Qual Life Res. 2009; 18: 389-398
- Predicting elderly people's risk for nursing home placement, hospitalization, functional impairment, and mortality: a synthesis.Med Care Res Rev. 2000; 57: 259-297
- Utility of functional status for classifying community versus institutional discharges after inpatient rehabilitation for stroke.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 345-350
- Successful community discharge following postacute rehabilitation for medicare beneficiaries: analysis of a patient-centered quality measure.Health Serv Res. 2018; 53: 2470-2482
Subcommittee on Health National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics. Classifying and reporting functional status. Washington (DC): National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics; 2001. Available at: https://www.ncvhs.hhs.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/010617rp.pdf. Accessed March 5, 2021
Balanced Budget Act of 1997, Public Law No: 105-33, 111 Stat. 251 (1997).
The Patient Protection and Afforable Care Act of 2010, Public Law No. 111-148, 124, Stat. 119 through 1025 (2010).
- Postacute care setting, facility characteristics, and poststroke outcomes: a systematic review.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 99 (1124-40.e1129)
- Comparison of discharge functional status after rehabilitation in skilled nursing, home health, and medical rehabilitation settings for patients after hip fracture repair.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 209-217
- Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set: additional provider-type specific interrater reliability analyses.RTI International, Waltham2012
- Joint replacement rehabilitation outcomes on discharge from skilled nursing facilities and inpatient rehabilitation facilities.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 1284-1296
Improving Post-Acute Care tranformation (IMPACT) Act of 2014, Public Law No: 113-185, 128 Stat. 1952 (42 U.S.C. § 1395) (2014).
- Summary of feedback from the technical expert panel (TEP) regarding cross-setting measures aligned with the IMPACT Act of 2014.RTI International, Waltham2015
- Measures Application Partnership—MAP off-cycle deliberations: final report.RTI International, Waltham2015
- Medicare program; prospective payment system and consolidated billing for skilled nursing facilities (SNFs) for FY 2016, SNF value-based purchasing program, SNF quality reporting program, and staffing data collection; final rule.Fed Regist. 2015; 84: 46390-46477
- Medicare program; inpatient rehabilitation facility prospective payment system for federal fiscal year 2016.Fed Regist. 2015; 80: 47036-47139
- Medicare program; hospital inpatient prospective payment systems for acute care hospitals and the long-term care hospital prospective payment system policy changes and fiscal year 2016 rates; revisions of quality reporting requirements for specific providers, including changes related to the electronic health record incentive program; extensions of the Medicare-dependent, small rural hospital program and the low-volume payment adjustment for hospitals; final rule.Fed Regist. 2015; 80: 49325-49886
- Medicare and Medicaid programs; CY 2018 home health prospective payment system rate update and CY 2019 case-mix adjustment methodology refinements; home health value-based purchasing model; and home health quality reporting requirements.Fed Regist. 2017; 82: 51676-51752
- Functional improvement among short-stay nursing home residents in the MDS 3.0.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 470-474
- The clinical utility of the functional status score for the intensive care unit (FSS-ICU) at a long-term acute care hospital: a prospective cohort study.Phys Ther. 2012; 92: 1536-1545
- Effect of 10 days of bed rest on skeletal muscle in healthy older adults.JAMA. 2007; 297: 1772-1774
- Activities of daily living of home healthcare patients.Home Healthc Now. 2019; 37: 165-173
- Assessment of physical function.in: Boltz M Capezuti E Fulmer T Zwicker D Evidence-based geriatric nursing protocols for best practice. Springer, New York2012: 89-103
- Post-Acute Care Payment Reform Demonstration: final report. Vol. 4.RTI International, Waltham2012
- The development and testing of the Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set: final report on reliability testing. Vol. 1.RTI International, Waltham2012
- Perspectives on the state-of-the-science in rehabilitation medicine and its implications for Medicare postacute care policies.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 88: 1737-1739
- Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set: video reliability testing. RTI International, Waltham, MA2012
- Rehabilitation indicator menu.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2019
- Rehabilitation in health systems: guide for action.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2019
- The change in self-care score quality measure for inpatient rehabilitation facilities: exclusion criteria and the risk-adjustment model.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2021; (In press)
- The Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility Change in Self-Care and Change in Mobility Quality measures: development and reliability and validity testing.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2021; (In press)
- The Change in Mobility Score Quality measure for inpatient rehabilitation facilities: exclusion criteria and the risk-adjustment model.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2021; (In press)
- Measuring inpatient rehabilitation facility quality of care: Discharge Self-Care Functional Status Quality measure.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 99: 1035-1041
- Medicare program; prospective payment system and consolidated billing for skilled nursing facilities for FY 2018, SNF value-based purchasing program, SNF quality reporting program, survey team composition, and correction of the performance period for the NHSN HCP influenza vaccination immunization reporting measure in the ESRD QIP for PY 2020.Fed Regist. 2017; 82: 36530-36636
Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013, Public Law No. 113-67 (2013).
Current affiliation for Tara McMullen: Veteran's Affairs, Baltimore, MD.
Current affiliation for Tri Le: SemanticBits, Cambridge, MA.
Current affiliation for Molly Marino: EmboldHealth, Providence, RI.
Current affiliation for Carole Schwartz: RUSH University Medical Center, Chicago, IL.
Supported by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) under contracts HHSM-500-2013-13015I, Contract No. 75FCMC18D0014/Task Order No. 75FCMC19F0001, and RTI International.
Disclosure: The statements contained in the article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of CMS. The authors assume responsibility for the accuracy and completeness of the information.