Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services), ICC (intraclass correlation coefficient), IRF (inpatient rehabilitation facility), IRF-PAI (Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility Patient Assessment Instrument), NQF (National Quality Forum), SNF (skilled nursing facility)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Inpatient rehabilitation facility (IRF) quality reporting program (QRP). Available at: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/IRF-Quality-Reporting. Accessed October 30, 2021.
- Medicare program; inpatient rehabilitation facility prospective payment system for federal fiscal year 2012; changes in size and square footage of inpatient rehabilitation units and inpatient psychiatric units; final rule.Fed Regist. 2011; 76: 47836-47915
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Quality measures: how they are developed, used, & maintained. Available at: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/quality-measures-how-they-are-developed-used-maintained.pdf. Accessed March 20, 2020.
- The quality of care: how can it be assessed?.JAMA. 1988; 260: 1743-1748
- Analysis of crosscutting medicare functional status quality metrics using the Continuity and Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set-final report.RTI International, Washington (DC)2012
Gage B, Constantine R, Aggarwal J, et al. The development and testing of the Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set, volume 1 of 3. Waltham: RTI International; 2012.
Gage B, Smith L, Ross J, et al. The development and testing of the Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set: final report on reliability testing, volume 2 of 3. Waltham: RTI International; 2012.
- Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set: video reliability testing.RTI International, Waltham2012
- Continuity Assessment Record and Evaluation (CARE) item set: additional provider-type specific interrater reliability analyses.RTI International, Waltham2012
- MAP 2015 considerations for selection of measures for federal programs: post-acute/long-term care.National Quality Forum, Washington (DC)2015
Deutsch A, McMullen T, Vaughan M, Palmer L, Kwon S, Ingber M. The change in self-care score quality measure for inpatient rehabilitation facilities: exclusion criteria and the risk-adjustment model. Arch Phys Med Rehabil; in press.
Deutsch A, Palmer L, Schwartz C, Vaughan M, McMullen T. Self-care and mobility abilities of inpatient rehabilitation facility medicare patients and validity testing of the standardized self-care and mobility data elements. Arch Phys Med Rehabil; in press.
- The change in mobility score quality measure for inpatient rehabilitation facilities: exclusion criteria and the risk-adjustment model.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2021; (in press)
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Compare. Available at: < https://www.medicare.gov/care-compare/ >. Accessed November 12, 2021.
- Inpatient rehabilitation facility quality reporting program measure calculations and reporting user’s manual version 3.1.RTI International, Waltham2019
- National Quality Forum guidelines for evaluating the scientific acceptability of risk-adjusted clinical outcome measures: a report from the National Quality Forum Scientific Methods Panel.Ann Surg. 2020; 271: 1048-1055
- Risk-standardized acute admission rates among patients with diabetes and heart failure as a measure of quality of accountable care organizations: rationale, methods, and early results.Med Care. 2016; 54: 528
- Measurement and the measurement of change: a primer for the health professions.2016 (Wolters Kluwer Philadelphia, PA)
- Quality of life outcomes in clinical trials and health-care evaluation: a practical guide to analysis and interpretation. Vol 84.John Wiley & Sons, 2009
Supported by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) under contract HHSM-500-2013-13015I and RTI International.
Disclosures: We worked with CMS staff to implement policies related to this work. CMS staff reviewed and approved the manuscript for publication. The statements contained in the manuscript are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of CMS. The authors assume responsibility for the accuracy and completeness of the information.