- •The Human Activity Profile (HAP) is a clinically applicable way to provide VO2peak.
- •The HAP questionnaire is used to provide a valid value of VO2peak (in mL/kg−1/min−1).
- •The HAP demonstrated adequate validity to assess exercise capacity.
- •The HAP can be used to assess cardiorespiratory fitness when cardiopulmonary exercise testing cannot be performed.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:6MWT (6-minute walking test), AAS (adjusted activity score), CPET (cardiopulmonary exercise testing), HAP (Human Activity Profile), ISWT (incremental shuttle walk test), LEC (lifestyle energy consumption), MAS (maximum activity score), RER (respiratory exchange ratio), V̇o2peak (peak oxygen uptake)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Heart disease and stroke Statistics-2020 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2020; 141: e139-e596
- Global burden of stroke.Semin Neurol. 2018; 38: 208-211
- Cardiorespiratory fitness after stroke: a systematic review.Int J Stroke. 2012; 7: 499-510
- Independently ambulant, community-dwelling stroke survivors have reduced cardiorespiratory fitness, mobility and knee strength compared to an age- and gender-matched cohort.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2017; 24: 163-169
- Heart disease and stroke statistics-2019 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2019; 139: e56-528
- Importance of assessing cardiorespiratory fitness in clinical practice: a case for fitness as a clinical vital sign: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2016; 134: e653-e699
- [Cardiopulmonary exercise test] [Portuguese].J Pneumol. 2002; 28: S166-S206
- Utilization of aerobic exercise in adult neurological rehabilitation by physical therapists in Canada.J Neurol Phys Ther. 2013; 37: 20-26
- Aerobic exercise prescription in stroke rehabilitation: a web-based survey of US physical therapists.J Neurol Phys Ther. 2017; 41: 119-128
- An official European Respiratory Society/American Thoracic Society technical standard: field walking tests in chronic respiratory disease.Eur Respir J. 2014; 44: 1428-1446
- Development of a shuttle walking test of disability in patients with chronic airways obstruction.Thorax. 1992; 47: 1019-1024
- Measurement properties of the incremental shuttle walk test. a systematic review.Chest. 2014; 145: 1357-1369
- Maximal strength training enhances strength and functional performance in chronic stroke survivors.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 91: 393-400
- Gait disturbances in patients with stroke.PM R. 2014; 6: 635-642
- Measurement properties of self-report physical activity assessment tools for patients with stroke: a systematic review.Braz J Phys Ther. 2019; 23: 476-490
- Human activity profile: professional manual.Psychological Assessment Resources. 1988;
World Health Organization. Transmission of SARS-CoV-2: implications for infection prevention precautions: scientific brief. Available at: https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/transmission-of-sars-cov-2-implications-for-infection-prevention-precautions. Accessed July 9, 2020.
- [Validity of the Human Activity Profile to estimate oxygen consumption in submaximal activities in chronic hemiparetics] [Portuguese].ConScientiae Saude. 2017; 16: 100-108
- Physical activity trends–United States, 1990-1998.MMWR Morbid Mortal Wkly Rep. 2001; 50: 166-169
- [The Mini-Mental State Examination in a general population: impact of educational status] [Portuguese].Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 1994; 52: 1-7
- Rating the methodological quality in systematic reviews of studies on measurement properties: a scoring system for the COSMIN checklist.Qual Life Res. 2012; 21: 651-657
- Maximum oxygen consumption and the ADAPT quality-of-life scale.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1982; 63: 620-622
- [Cross-cultural adaptation and analysis of the psychometric properties in the Brazilian version of the Human Activity Profile] [Portuguese].Cad Saude Publica. 2006; 22: 2623-2636
- Principles of exercise testing and interpretation: including pathophysiology and clinical applications.Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005
- ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and prescription.Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2013
- Cardiopulmonary exercise test with ramp protocol in adults with heart failure. Rev Bras de Medicina do.Esporte. 2012; 18: 369-372
- Psychophysical bases of perceived exertion.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1982; 14: 377-381
- Systematic review of cardiopulmonary exercise testing post stroke: are we adhering to practice recommendations?.J Rehabil Med. 2015; 47: 881-900
- Reliability and validity of the incremental shuttle walking test in individuals after stroke.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2021; 28: 331-339
- Aerobic exercise recommendations to optimize best practices in care after stroke: AEROBICS 2019 update.Phys Ther. 2020; 100: 149-156
- Statistical methods for health care research.Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005
- Reduced cardiorespiratory fitness after stroke: biological consequences and exercise-induced adaptations.Stroke Res Treat. 2012; 2012959120
- Characteristics of exercise training interventions to improve cardiorespiratory fitness after stroke: a systematic review with meta-analysis.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2013; 27: 775-788
- Using the Human Activity Profile to assess functional performance in heart failure.J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev. 2016; 36: 180-185
- Chronic heart failure part 1: pathophysiology, signs and symptoms.Nurs Stand. 2017; 31: 54-63
- Usefulness of the human activity profile, a functional performance measure, in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.J Cardiopulm Rehabil. 2005; 25: 115-121
- Comparison of walking parameters and cardiorespiratory changes during the 6-minute walk test in healthy sexagenarians and septuagenarians.Gerontology. 2009; 55: 694-697
Supported by the Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de Minas Gerais (FAPEMIG), Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES-Finance code 001), Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPQ), and Pró-reitoria de Pesquisa da Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (PRPq/UFMG).