- •Nearly 25% of middle-aged and older prosthesis users may have cognitive impairment.
- •Even after adjustment, cognitive impairment is related to worse physical function.
- •Ongoing cognitive screening of middle-aged and older prosthesis users is warranted.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), FCI (Functional Comorbidity Index), HADS (Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale), LLA (lower limb amputation), PMQ (Prosthesis Mobility Questionnaire), TICS-m (Telephone Interview for Cognitive Status-modified)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Estimating the prevalence of limb loss in the United States: 2005 to 2050.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 422-429
- Self-efficacy and social support are associated with disability for ambulatory prosthesis users after lower-limb amputation.PM R. 2021; 13: 453-460
- Self-management improves outcomes in persons with limb loss.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 373-380
- Coping strategies as predictors of psychosocial adaptation in a sample of elderly veterans with acquired lower limb amputations.Soc Sci Med. 2006; 62: 208-216
- Cognitive functioning in persons with lower limb amputations: a review.Disabil Rehabil. 2012; 34: 1950-1964
The Rehabilitation of Individuals with Lower Limb Amputation Work Group. VA/DoD clinical practice guidelines for rehabilitation of individuals with lower limb amputation. Available at: https://www.healthquality.va.gov/guidelines/Rehab/amp/VADoDLLACPG092817.pdf. Accessed May 26, 2021.
- Alzheimer's Association. 2020 Alzheimer's disease facts and figures.Alzheimers Dement. 2020; 16: 391
- Do psychological measures predict the ability of lower limb amputees to learn to use a prosthesis?.Clin Rehabil. 2003; 17: 493-498
- Memory and executive function predict mobility rehabilitation outcome after lower-limb amputation.Disabil Rehabil. 2009; 31: 1083-1091
- Clinical factors associated with prescription of a prosthetic limb in elderly veterans.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007; 55: 900-906
- Rehabilitation of the geriatric vascular amputee patient: a population-based study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 82: 776-779
- Rehabilitation of the older vascular amputee: a review of the literature.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2013; 13: 264-273
- Preoperative clinical factors predict postoperative functional outcomes after major lower limb amputation: an analysis of 553 consecutive patients.J Vasc Surg. 2005; 42: 227-234
- Physical, mental, and social predictors of functional outcome in unilateral lower-limb amputees.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: 803-811
- Relationships among perceived functional capacity, self-efficacy, and disability after dysvascular amputation.PM R. 2018; 10: 1056-1061
- Selecting, administering, and interpreting outcome measures among adults with lower-limb loss: an update for clinicians.Curr Phys Med Rehabil Rep. 2020; 8: 92-109
- Association between changes in subjective and objective measures of mobility in people with lower limb amputations after inpatient rehabilitation.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 99: 1067-1071
- Stevens-Lapsley JE. Functional outcomes after the prosthetic training phase of rehabilitation after dysvascular lower extremity amputation.PM R. 2015; 7: 1118-1126
- Psychosocial factors influence physical activity after dysvascular amputation: a convergent mixed-methods study.PM R. 2021; 13: 737-745
- Qualitative analysis of resilience characteristics of people with unilateral transtibial amputation.Disabil Health J. 2020; 13100925
- Psychometric assessment of the Connor-Davidson Resilience Scale for people with lower-limb amputation.Phys Ther. 2021; 101: pzab002
- Mode of administration does not cause bias in patient-reported outcome results: a meta-analysis.Qual Life Res. 2016; 25: 559-574
- Psychometric evaluation of self-report outcome measures for prosthetic applications.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2016; 53: 797-812
- Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap) - a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Rasch validation of the Prosthetic Mobility Questionnaire: a new outcome measure for assessing mobility in people with lower limb amputation.J Rehabil Med. 2015; 47: 460-465
- Detection of dementia in the elderly using telephone screening of cognitive status.Neuropsychiatry Neuropsychol Behav Neurol. 1993; 6: 103-110
- Validation of the telephone interview for cognitive status-modified in subjects with normal cognition, mild cognitive impairment, or dementia.Neuroepidemiology. 2010; 34: 34-42
- Are patients at Veterans Affairs medical centers sicker? A comparative analysis of health status and medical resource use.Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160: 3252-3257
- Health and health behavior differences: U.S. military, veteran, and civilian men.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 483-489
- Association of diabetes, comorbidities, and A1C with functional disability in older adults: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 1999-2006.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 1055-1060
- The development of a comorbidity index with physical function as the outcome.J Clin Epidemiol. 2005; 58: 595-602
- Development of physical and mental health summary scores from the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) global items.Qual Life Res. 2009; 18: 873-880
- The factor structure of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale in older individuals with acquired amputations: a comparison of four models using confirmatory factor analysis.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2005; 20: 344-349
- The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1983; 67: 361-370
- The validity of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale.J Psychosom Res. 2002; 52: 69-77
- Houghton Scale of prosthetic use in people with lower-extremity amputations: reliability, validity, and responsiveness to change.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1339-1344
- Trinity Amputation and Prosthesis Experience Scales.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 89: 487-496
Owens DK, Davidson KW, Krist AH, et al. Screening for cognitive impairment in older adults: US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement. 2020;323:757-63.
- Practice guideline update summary: mild cognitive impairment: report of the guideline development, dissemination, and implementation subcommittee of the american academy of neurology.Neurology. 2018; 90: 126-135
- The promise and potential of telerehabilitation in physical therapy.Phys Ther. 2021; 101: pzab081
- COVID-19: a catalyst for change in virtual health care utilization for persons with limb loss.PM R. 2021; 13: 637-646
- Telerehabilitation for amputee care.Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2021; 32: 253-262
- Scaffolding rehabilitation behaviour using a voice-mediated assistive technology for cognition.Neuropsychol Rehabil. 2010; 20: 509-527
Supported by the National Institutes of Health (5T32 AG000212-27, UL1-TR001082) and the Foundation for Physical Therapy Research (Promotion of Doctoral Studies: Level I and II). This material is the result of work supported with resources and facilities of the VA Eastern Colorado Healthcare System. The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the position or policy of the Department of Veterans Affairs or the United States Government.