- •Hemophilic arthropathy is characterized by chronic pain and joint deterioration.
- •Patients with hemophilia have a poorer quality of life than their peers without hemophilia.
- •Physiotherapy treatment can improve the quality of life of patients with hemophilic elbow arthropathy.
- •Manual therapy protocols can improve joint pain and joint health in patients with hemophilia.
Main Outcome Measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Definitions in hemophilia. Recommendation of the scientific subcommittee on factor VIII and factor IX of the scientific and standardization committee of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis.Thromb Haemost. 2001; 85: 560
- WFH guidelines for the management of hemophilia.Haemophilia. 2020; 26: 1-158
- Factors affecting the Haemophilia Joint Health Score in children with severe haemophilia.Haemophilia. 2013; 19: 626-631
- Progression of haemophilic arthropathy in children: a Lithuanian–Danish comparative study.Haemophilia. 2013; 19: 212-218
- Favourable impact of regular swimming in young people with haemophilia: experience derived from 'Desafio del Caribe' Project.Haemophilia. 2015; 21: e12-e18
- Impact of physiotherapy on the functional status of elbow and knee joints and quality of life in patients with hemophilia.Ortop Traumatol Rehabil. 2006; 8: 315-322
- Variations of the articular mobility of elbows, knees and ankles in patients with severe haemophilia submitted to free active movimentation in a pool with warm water.Haemophilia. 2009; 15: 386-389
- Manual and educational therapy in the treatment of hemophilic arthropathy of the elbow: a randomized pilot study.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2018; 13: 151
- Safety and effectiveness of fascial therapy in the treatment of adult patients with hemophilic elbow arthropathy: a pilot study.Physiother Theory Pract. 2022; 38: 276-286
Pilat A. Myofascial induction. Theoretical aspects and clinical applications. Madrid, Spain: McGraw Hill Interamericana; 2003.
- Fascial release effects on patients with non-specific cervical or lumbar pain.J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2011; 15: 405-416
- The development of the WHO quality of life assessment instruments (the WHOQOL).in: Orley J Kuyken W Quality of life assessment. International perspectives. SpringerVerlag, Berlin1994: 4157
- The impact of severe haemophilia and the presence of target joints on health-related quality-of-life.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2018; 16: 84
- Assessing health-related quality-of-life in individuals with haemophilia.Haemophilia. 1999; 5: 378-385
- Persons with haemophilia in Sweden-experiences and strategies in everyday life. A single centre study.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0139690
- Past, present and future of hemophilia: a narrative review.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2012; 7: 24
- Validation of a new pediatric joint scoring system from the International Hemophilia Prophylaxis Study Group: validity of the Haemophilia Joint Health Score (HJHS).Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011; 63: 223-230
- Manual therapy in the treatment of ankle hemophilic arthropathy. A randomized pilot study.Physiother Theory Pract. 2014; 30: 534-539
- The Spanish version of the SF-36 Health Survey (the SF-36 health questionnaire): an instrument for measuring clinical results.Medicina Clinica. 1995; 104: 771-776
- The MOS 36-Item Short Form Health Survey (SF36). Conceptual framework and item selection.Med Care. 1992; 30: 473-483
- Vertical or horizontal visual analogue scales.Ann Rheum Dis. 1979; 38: 560
- Using the Haemophilia Joint Health Score for assessment of teenagers and young adults: exploring reliability and validity.Haemophilia. 2013; 19: 944-950
- SPSS survival manual.McGraw-Hill Education (UK), New York2013
- Population reference values of the Spanish version of the Health Questionnaire SF-36.Med Clin (Barc). 1998; 111: 410-416
- Measuring the impact of changing from standard half-life (SHL) to extended half-life (EHL) FVIII prophylaxis on health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in boys with moderate/severe haemophilia A: lessons learned with the CHO-KLAT tool.Haemophilia. 2020; 26: 73-78
- Management of acute haemarthrosis in haemophilia A without inhibitors: literature review, European survey and recommendations.Haemophilia. 2011; 17: 383-392
- The impact of social factors on outcomes in patients with bleeding disorders.Haemophilia. 2016; 22: 46-53
- Evaluation of quality of life in hemophilia patients using the WHOQOL-BREF and Haemo-A-Qol questionnaires.Hematol Transfus Cell Ther. 2019; 41: 335-341
- Health status and quality of life in patients with severe hemophilia A: a cross-sectional survey.Hematol Rep. 2019; 11: 7894
- Pain and pain management in haemophilia.Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2016; 27: 845-854
- Comparison of myofascial release and positional release therapy in plantar fascitis. A clinical trial.Indian J Physiother Occup Ther. 2010; 4: 8-12
- Tensegrity and mechanotransduction.J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2008; 12: 198-200
- Effectiveness of an educational physiotherapy and therapeutic exercise program in adult patients with hemophilia: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 98: 841-848
- Immediate effect of foam roller on pain and ankle range of motion in patients with plantar fasciitis: a randomized controlled trial.Hong Kong Physiother J. 2021; 41: 25-33
- An acute session of roller massage prolongs voluntary torque development and diminishes evoked pain.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2017; 117: 109-117
- Health-related quality of life of hemophilics and its possible correlates: a perspective in health promotion and disability prevention.J Educ Health Promot. 2019; 8: 257
- Coping strategies in young and adult haemophilia patients: a tool for the adaptation to the disease.Haemophilia. 2019; 25: 392-397
Supported by Baxalta US Inc, a Takeda company, Lexington, MA, (grant no. H16-36143). The funders played no role in the design, conduct, or reporting of this study.
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT03009591.