- •Fatigued adults engaged in less moderate-to-vigorous physical activity (MVPA), had more sedentary time, and took fewer steps.
- •The highest levels of light physical activity and MVPA occurred in the morning and middle of the day.
- •The highest levels of sedentary behavior occurred in the evening.
- •Participants had the most steps in the middle of the day.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:FSS (Fatigue Severity Scale), LFE (low frequency extension), LPA (light physical activity), MS (multiple sclerosis), MVPA (moderate-to-vigorous physical activity), NARCOMS (North American Research Committee on Multiple Sclerosis), PDDS (Patient Determined Disease Steps)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- The prevalence of MS in the United States: a population-based estimate using health claims data.Neurology. 2019; 92: e1029-e1040
Multiple Sclerosis International Federation. Atlas of MS: mapping multiple sclerosis around the world. Available at: https://www.atlasofms.org/map/global/epidemiology/number-of-people-with-ms. Accessed September 24, 2020.
- High prevalence of fatigue in contemporary patients with multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler J Exp Transl Clin. 2021; 72055217321999826
- Fatigue in multiple sclerosis - insights into evaluation and management.Neurophysiol Clin. 2017; 47: 139-171
- Fatigue in multiple sclerosis: mechanisms, evaluation, and treatment.Sleep. 2010; 33: 1061-1067
- Fatigue in multiple sclerosis - a brief review.J Neurol Sci. 2012; 323: 9-15
- Safety and efficacy of amantadine, modafinil, and methylphenidate for fatigue in multiple sclerosis: a randomised, placebo-controlled, crossover, double-blind trial.Lancet Neurol. 2021; 20: 38-48
- Meta-analysis of three different types of fatigue management interventions for people with multiple sclerosis: exercise, education, and medication.Mult Scler Int. 2014; 2014798285
- Exercise therapy for fatigue in multiple sclerosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 2015CD009956
- Effects of exercise training on fatigue in multiple sclerosis: a meta-analysis.Psychosom Med. 2013; 75: 575-580
- Effects of exercise training on fitness, mobility, fatigue, and health-related quality of life among adults with multiple sclerosis: a systematic review to inform guideline development.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94 (1800-28.e3)
- Is symptomatic fatigue associated with physical activity and sedentary behaviors among persons with multiple sclerosis?.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2020; 34: 505-511
- Objectively quantified physical activity in persons with multiple sclerosis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 2342-2348
- Effectiveness of energy conservation treatment in reducing fatigue in multiple sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 1360-1376
- Objectively-assessed physical activity and self-reported activity pacing in adults with multiple sclerosis: a pilot study.Clin Rehabil. 2021; 35: 1781-1788
- Effect of time of day on walking capacity and self-reported fatigue in persons with multiple sclerosis: a multi-center trial.Mult Scler. 2012; 18: 351-357
- Social-cognitive theory variables as correlates of sedentary behavior in multiple sclerosis: preliminary evidence.Disabil Health J. 2019; 12: 622-627
- The Fatigue Severity Scale: application to patients with multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus erythematosus.Arch Neurol. 1989; 46: 1121-1123
- Accuracy of StepWatch and ActiGraph accelerometers for measuring steps taken among persons with multiple sclerosis.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e93511
- Reliability of scores from physical activity monitors in adults with multiple sclerosis.Adapt Phys Activ Q. 2007; 24: 245-253
- Accelerometer-measured physical activity and its impact on sleep quality in patients suffering from restless legs syndrome.BMC Neurol. 2021; 21: 90
- Evaluation of ActiGraph's low-frequency filter in laboratory and free-living environments.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2015; 47: 211-217
- Accelerometer cut-points derived during over-ground walking in persons with mild, moderate, and severe multiple sclerosis.J Neurol Sci. 2014; 340: 50-57
- Validation of patient determined disease steps (PDDS) scale scores in persons with multiple sclerosis.BMC Neurol. 2013; 13: 37
- Tracking daily fatigue fluctuations in multiple sclerosis: ecological momentary assessment provides unique insights.J Behav Med. 2017; 40: 772-783
- Daily temporal associations between physical activity and symptoms in multiple sclerosis.Ann Behav Med. 2019; 53: 98-108
Supported in part by a pilot grant (PP 1412), a mentor-based postdoctoral fellowship from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (MB 0011), and by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health (T32HL110952) and the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute Of Child Health & Human Development (F31HD101281). The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.