List of abbreviations:FM (fibromyalgia), GRADE (Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development, and Evaluation), IIRD (interindividual response difference), MCID (minimal clinically important difference), NNT (number needed to treat), PI (prediction interval)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia: critical review and future perspectives.J Clin Med. 2020; 9: 1219
- Prevalence of fibromyalgia: literature review update.Rev Bras Reumatol. 2017; 57: 356-363
- The comparative burden of chronic widespread pain and fibromyalgia in the United States.Pain Pract. 2016; 16: 565-579
- Fibromyalgia and psychiatric disorders.Acta Biomedica. 2007; 78: 88-95
- Community-deliverable exercise and anxiety in adults with arthritis and other rheumatic diseases: a systematic review with meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.BMJ Open. 2018; 8: 18
Physical activity guidelines advisory committee report, 2018, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; Washington (DC).
- Aerobic exercise training for adults with fibromyalgia.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 6CD012700
Arthritis Foundation. Medications for treating fibromyalgia symptoms. Available at: https://www.arthritis.org/diseases/more-about/medications-for-treating-fibromyalgia-symptoms. Accessed October 30, 2021.
- Drug expenditure, price, and utilization in the U.S. Medicaid: a trend analysis for SSRI and SNRI antidepressants from 1991 to 2018.J Ment Health Policy Econ. 2021; 24: 3-11
- Precision medicine–personalized, problematic, and promising.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2229-2234
- Towards precision medicine in generalized anxiety disorder: review of genetics and pharmaco(epi)genetics.J Psychiatr Res. 2019; 119: 33-47
- True and false interindividual differences in the physiological response to an intervention.Exp Physiol. 2015; 100: 577-588
- Individual response to exercise training - a statistical perspective.J Appl Physiol. 2015; 118: 1450-1459
- Community-deliverable exercise and anxiety in adults with arthritis and other rheumatic diseases: a protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.BMJ Open. 2017; 7e014957
- Effectiveness of dance in patients with fibromyalgia: a randomized, single-blind, controlled study.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2012; 30: 18-23
- The effects of a supervised group aerobic exercise program and a chronobiologicary oriented treatment protocol on symptomotatogy and mood in women with fibromyalgia [dissertation].Alliant International University, Alhambra2003
- Effect of a randomized, controlled trial of exercise on mood and physical function in individuals with fibromyalgia.Arthritis Rheum. 2001; 45: 519-529
- Vagal modulation and symptomatology following a 6-month aerobic exercise program for women with fibromyalgia.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2015; 33: S41-S45
- Effects of short versus long bouts of aerobic exercise in sedentary women with fibromyalgia: a randomized controlled trial.Phys Ther. 2003; 83: 340-358
- Is chronic fatigue syndrome the same illness as fibromyalgia: evaluating the ‘single syndrome’ hypothesis.QJM. 2013; 106: 3-9
World Health Organization. ICD-11 International Classification of Diseases (11th revision). Available at: https://www.who.int/standards/classifications/classification-of-diseases. Accessed October 30, 2021.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Fibromyalgia. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/basics/fibromyalgia.htm. Accessed March 26, 2021.
- PRISMA 2020 explanation and elaboration: updated guidance and exemplars for reporting systematic reviews.BMJ. 2021; 372: n160
- When and how to update systematic reviews: consensus and checklist.BMJ. 2016; 354: i3507
- The mass production of redundant, misleading, and conflicted systematic reviews and meta-analyses.Milbank Q. 2016; 94: 485-514
- Rayyan—a web and mobile app for systematic reviews.Syst Rev. 2016; 5: 210
- Advances in the meta-analysis of heterogeneous clinical trials I: the inverse variance heterogeneity model.Contemp Clin Trials. 2015; 45: 130-138
- Meta-analysis in evidence-based healthcare: a paradigm shift away from random effects is overdue.Int J Evid Based Healthc. 2017; 15: 152-160
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ. 2003; 327: 557-560
- A new improved graphical and quantitative method for detecting bias in meta-analysis.Int J Evid Based Healthc. 2018; 16: 195-203
- Individual responses made easy.J Appl Physiol. 2015; 118: 1444-1446
- Inter-individual differences in weight change following exercise interventions: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Obes Rev. 2018; 19: 960-975
- Basics of meta-analysis: I2 is not an absolute measure of heterogeneity.Res Synth Methods. 2017; 8: 5-18
- Plea for routinely presenting prediction intervals in meta-analysis.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e010247
- A re-evaluation of random-effects meta-analysis.J R Stat Soc Series A. 2009; 172: 137-159
- How to interpret changes in an athletic performance test.Sportscience. 2004; 8: 1-7
- Progressive statistics for studies in sports medicine and exercise science.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009; 41: 3-13
- RoB 2: a revised tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2019; 366: l4898
- Validation of a new tool for the assessment of study quality and reporting in exercise training studies: TESTEX.Int J Evid Based Healthc. 2015; 13: 9-18
- Reliability of the PEDro scale for rating quality of randomized controlled trials.Phys Ther. 2003; 83: 713-721
- GRADE handbook for grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendation [updated October 2013]. The GRADE Working.Group. 2013; 2013; (Available at:) (. Accessed February 17, 2021)
- Quantity and quality of exercise for developing and maintaining cardiorespiratory, musculoskeletal, and neuromotor fitness in apparently healthy adults: guidance for prescribing exercise.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 1334-1359
- Precision exercise medicine: understanding exercise response variability.Br J Sports Med. 2019; 53: 1141-1153
- Efficacy of diazepam as an anti-anxiety agent: meta-analysis of double-blind, randomized controlled trials carried out in Japan.Hum Psychopharmacol. 2003; 18: 483-487
Ang C. Visualizing the world's population by age group. Available at:https://www.visualcapitalist.com/the-worlds-population-2020-by-age/. Accessed October 27, 2021.
- Fibromyalgia treatment: the role of exercise and physical activity.Int J Clin Rheumatol. 2009; 4: 343-380
- Fear of movement and avoidance behaviour toward physical activity in chronic-fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia: state of the art and implications for clinical practice.Clin Rheumatol. 2013; 32: 1121-1129
- Objectively measured sedentary time and physical activity in women with fibromyalgia: a cross-sectional study.BMJ Open. 2013; 3e002722
- A statistical framework to interpret individual response to intervention: paving the way for personalized nutrition and exercise prescription.Front Nutr. 2018; 5: 41
- Prevalence of fibromyalgia in general population and patients, a systematic review and meta-analysis.Rheumatol Int. 2017; 37: 1527-1539
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Physical activity for arthritis. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/basics/physical-activity-overview.html. Accessed April 7, 2021.
- Get with the program: exercise prescription for chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia.ACSMs Health Fit J. 2005; 9 (2005): 16-21
- Physical activity assessment and recommendation for adults with arthritis by primary care providers—DocStyles, 2018.Am J Health Promot. 2021; 35: 559-570
- Exercise is medicine as a vital sign: challenges and opportunities.Transl J Am Coll Sports Med. 2019; 4: 1-7
- Random effects meta-analysis: coverage performance of 95% confidence and prediction intervals following REML estimation.Stat Med. 2017; 36: 301-317
Borenstein M. Common mistakes in meta-analysis and how to avoid them. Biostat Inc; 2019. p 1–388.
Fisher DJ, Carpenter JR, Morris TP, Freeman SC, Tierney JF. Meta-analytical methods to identify who benefits most from treatments: daft, deluded, or deft approach? BMJ2017;356:j573.
- Inter-individual differences in the responses to pain neuroscience education in adults with chronic musculoskeletal pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Pain. 2021; 1: 9-20
- Detecting heterogeneity of intervention effects using analysis and meta-analysis of differences in variance between trial arms.Epidemiology. 2021; 32: 846-854
Supported in part by the National Institutes of Health, National Institute for Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, grant no. R01AR061346 (G.A.K., Principal Investigator). The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.