- •This study aimed to investigate the effect of rehabilitation on hospital readmissions in cirrhotic patients.
- •The present study demonstrated that rehabilitation is associated with lower proportions of 30- and 90-day readmissions in patients with cirrhosis.
- •Rehabilitation may be one way to reduce the risk of readmission in patients hospitalized for cirrhosis.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:DPC (Diagnosis Procedure Combination), HR (hazard ratio), JMDC (Japan Medical Data Center), LOS (length of stay), MI (multiple imputation), RR (risk ratio)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Natural history and prognostic indicators of survival in cirrhosis: a systematic review of 118 studies.J Hepatol. 2006; 44: 217-231
- Nationwide increase in hospitalizations and hepatitis C among inpatients with cirrhosis and sequelae of portal hypertension.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007; 5: 1092-1099
- Hospitalization-associated disability: “She was probably able to ambulate, but I'm not sure.JAMA. 2011; 306: 1782-1793
LaW. MoH. Patient survey. Available at: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/list/10-20.html. Accessed February 12, 2021.
- Refined method for estimating medical expenditures for liver disease using the patient survey and claim data in Japan.Nihon Koshu Eisei Zasshi. 2005; 52: 957-961
- Hospital readmissions among patients with decompensated cirrhosis.Am J Gastroenterol. 2012; 107: 247-252
- Hospital readmissions in decompensated cirrhotics: factors pointing toward a prevention strategy.World J Gastroenterol. 2017; 23: 6868-6876
- Predictors of 30-day readmission following inpatient rehabilitation for patients at high risk for hospital readmission.Phys Ther. 2016; 96: 62-70
- Risk factors for 30-day readmissions of individuals with deompensated cirrhosis.South Med J. 2015; 108: 682-687
- Guidelines for adult stroke rehabilitation and recovery: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2016; 47: e98-169
- Core components of cardiac rehabilitation/secondary prevention programs: 2007 update: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Exercise, Cardiac Rehabilitation, and Prevention Committee, the Council on Clinical Cardiology; the Councils on Cardiovascular Nursing, Epidemiology and Prevention, and Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism; and the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.Circulation. 2007; 115: 2675-2682
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: Joint ACCP/AACVPR evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.Chest. 2007; 131: 4s-42s
- Sarcopenia as a prognostic index of nutritional status in concurrent cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2013; 47: 861-870
- Severe muscle depletion predicts postoperative length of stay but is not associated with survival after liver transplantation.Liver Transpl. 2014; 20: 640-648
- Sarcopenia is a prognostic factor in living donor liver transplantation.Liver Transpl. 2014; 20: 401-407
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of the impact of computed tomography-assessed skeletal muscle mass on outcome in patients awaiting or undergoing liver transplantation.Am J Transplant. 2016; 16: 2277-2292
- Association between sarcopenia and the risk of serious infection among adults undergoing liver transplantation.Liver Transpl. 2013; 19: 1396-1402
- Malnutrition affects quality of life in gastroenterology patients.World J Gastroenterol. 2006; 12: 3380-3385
- Rates of and reasons for hospital readmissions in patients with cirrhosis: a multistate population-based cohort study.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 14 (1181-8.e1182)
- Outcomes and readmissions after transcatheter and surgical aortic valve replacement in patients with cirrhosis: a propensity matched analysis.Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2018; 91: 90-96
- Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for liver cirrhosis 2020.J Gastroenterol. 2021; 56: 593-619
- Multiple imputation in health-care databases: an overview and some applications.Stat Med. 1991; 10: 585-598
- Analysis of partially observed clustered data using generalized estimating equations and multiple imputation.Stata J. 2014; 14: 863-883
- Optimal caliper widths for propensity-score matching when estimating differences in means and differences in proportions in observational studies.Pharm Stat. 2011; 10: 150-161
- An introduction to propensity score methods for reducing the effects of confounding in observational studies.Multivariate Behav Res. 2011; 46: 399-424
- Balance diagnostics for comparing the distribution of baseline covariates between treatment groups in propensity-score matched samples.Stat Med. 2009; 28: 3083-3107
- Eight weeks of exercise training increases aerobic capacity and muscle mass and reduces fatigue in patients with cirrhosis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014; 12 (1920-6.e1922)
- Effects of an exercise programme on functional capacity, body composition and risk of falls in patients with cirrhosis: a randomized clinical trial.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0151652
- Outcomes after early and delayed rehabilitation for exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a nationwide retrospective cohort study in Japan.Respir Res. 2017; 18: 68
- Effectiveness of early versus delayed physical rehabilitation on in-hospital mortality in interstitial pneumonia: a retrospective cohort study.PM R. 2020; 12: 1081-1085
- Exercise and physical activity for patients with end-stage liver disease: Improving functional status and sarcopenia while on the transplant waiting list.Liver Transpl. 2018; 24: 122-139
- Effect of rehabilitation on mortality of patients with Guillain-Barre syndrome: a propensity-matched analysis using nationwide database.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2014; 50: 439-446
Supported by the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science KAKENHI (grant no. JP 18K10690).