- •This study aimed to investigate the effect of rehabilitation on hospital readmissions in cirrhotic patients.
- •The present study demonstrated that rehabilitation is associated with lower proportions of 30- and 90-day readmissions in patients with cirrhosis.
- •Rehabilitation may be one way to reduce the risk of readmission in patients hospitalized for cirrhosis.
To investigate the effect of rehabilitation on hospital readmissions in patients with cirrhosis.
A retrospective cohort study.
Patients hospitalized due to cirrhosis (N=6485).
We defined rehabilitation as any type and intensity of rehabilitation administered by physical, occupational, or speech therapists.
Main Outcome Measures
Readmission within 30 days after discharge.
Rehabilitation was provided to 1177 patients (19.0%). After propensity score matching, rehabilitation was associated with 30- and 90-day readmissions.
The present study demonstrated that rehabilitation is associated with lower proportions of 30- and 90-day readmissions in patients with cirrhosis. Therefore, rehabilitation may be one way to reduce the risk of readmission in patients hospitalized for cirrhosis.
List of abbreviations:DPC (Diagnosis Procedure Combination), HR (hazard ratio), JMDC (Japan Medical Data Center), LOS (length of stay), MI (multiple imputation), RR (risk ratio)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Natural history and prognostic indicators of survival in cirrhosis: a systematic review of 118 studies.J Hepatol. 2006; 44: 217-231
- Nationwide increase in hospitalizations and hepatitis C among inpatients with cirrhosis and sequelae of portal hypertension.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007; 5: 1092-1099
- Hospitalization-associated disability: “She was probably able to ambulate, but I'm not sure.JAMA. 2011; 306: 1782-1793
LaW. MoH. Patient survey. Available at: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/list/10-20.html. Accessed February 12, 2021.
- Refined method for estimating medical expenditures for liver disease using the patient survey and claim data in Japan.Nihon Koshu Eisei Zasshi. 2005; 52: 957-961
- Hospital readmissions among patients with decompensated cirrhosis.Am J Gastroenterol. 2012; 107: 247-252
- Hospital readmissions in decompensated cirrhotics: factors pointing toward a prevention strategy.World J Gastroenterol. 2017; 23: 6868-6876
- Predictors of 30-day readmission following inpatient rehabilitation for patients at high risk for hospital readmission.Phys Ther. 2016; 96: 62-70
- Risk factors for 30-day readmissions of individuals with deompensated cirrhosis.South Med J. 2015; 108: 682-687
- Guidelines for adult stroke rehabilitation and recovery: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2016; 47: e98-169
- Core components of cardiac rehabilitation/secondary prevention programs: 2007 update: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Exercise, Cardiac Rehabilitation, and Prevention Committee, the Council on Clinical Cardiology; the Councils on Cardiovascular Nursing, Epidemiology and Prevention, and Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism; and the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.Circulation. 2007; 115: 2675-2682
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: Joint ACCP/AACVPR evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.Chest. 2007; 131: 4s-42s
- Sarcopenia as a prognostic index of nutritional status in concurrent cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2013; 47: 861-870
- Severe muscle depletion predicts postoperative length of stay but is not associated with survival after liver transplantation.Liver Transpl. 2014; 20: 640-648
- Sarcopenia is a prognostic factor in living donor liver transplantation.Liver Transpl. 2014; 20: 401-407
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of the impact of computed tomography-assessed skeletal muscle mass on outcome in patients awaiting or undergoing liver transplantation.Am J Transplant. 2016; 16: 2277-2292
- Association between sarcopenia and the risk of serious infection among adults undergoing liver transplantation.Liver Transpl. 2013; 19: 1396-1402
- Malnutrition affects quality of life in gastroenterology patients.World J Gastroenterol. 2006; 12: 3380-3385
- Rates of and reasons for hospital readmissions in patients with cirrhosis: a multistate population-based cohort study.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 14 (1181-8.e1182)
- Outcomes and readmissions after transcatheter and surgical aortic valve replacement in patients with cirrhosis: a propensity matched analysis.Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2018; 91: 90-96
- Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for liver cirrhosis 2020.J Gastroenterol. 2021; 56: 593-619
- Multiple imputation in health-care databases: an overview and some applications.Stat Med. 1991; 10: 585-598
- Analysis of partially observed clustered data using generalized estimating equations and multiple imputation.Stata J. 2014; 14: 863-883
- Optimal caliper widths for propensity-score matching when estimating differences in means and differences in proportions in observational studies.Pharm Stat. 2011; 10: 150-161
- An introduction to propensity score methods for reducing the effects of confounding in observational studies.Multivariate Behav Res. 2011; 46: 399-424
- Balance diagnostics for comparing the distribution of baseline covariates between treatment groups in propensity-score matched samples.Stat Med. 2009; 28: 3083-3107
- Eight weeks of exercise training increases aerobic capacity and muscle mass and reduces fatigue in patients with cirrhosis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014; 12 (1920-6.e1922)
- Effects of an exercise programme on functional capacity, body composition and risk of falls in patients with cirrhosis: a randomized clinical trial.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0151652
- Outcomes after early and delayed rehabilitation for exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a nationwide retrospective cohort study in Japan.Respir Res. 2017; 18: 68
- Effectiveness of early versus delayed physical rehabilitation on in-hospital mortality in interstitial pneumonia: a retrospective cohort study.PM R. 2020; 12: 1081-1085
- Exercise and physical activity for patients with end-stage liver disease: Improving functional status and sarcopenia while on the transplant waiting list.Liver Transpl. 2018; 24: 122-139
- Effect of rehabilitation on mortality of patients with Guillain-Barre syndrome: a propensity-matched analysis using nationwide database.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2014; 50: 439-446
Published online: January 05, 2022
Accepted: December 13, 2021
Received in revised form: September 8, 2021
Received: June 30, 2021
Supported by the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science KAKENHI (grant no. JP 18K10690).
© 2022 by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine.