- •Adults with TSCI compared with adults without TSCI had substantially higher risk for potentially preventable hospitalizations (or ambulatory care sensitive conditions).
- •Adults with TSCI compared with adults without TSCI were particularly at higher risk of hospitalization for urinary tract infection, pneumonia, and heart failure.
- •Annual wellness visit was associated with reducing the risk of potentially preventable hospitalizations for adults with TSCI compared with adults with TSCI who did not have an annual wellness visit.
Main Outcomes Measures
List of abbreviations:COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), OT (occupational therapy), OR (odds ratio), PPH (potentially preventable hospitalization), PQI (prevention quality indicator), PT (physical therapy), TSCI (traumatic spinal cord injury), UTI (urinary tract infection)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Validity of a tool designed to assess the preventability of potentially preventable hospitalizations for chronic conditions.Fam Pract. 2020; 37: 390-394
- AHRQ quality indicators—guide to prevention quality indicators: hospital admission for ambulatory care sensitive conditions.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2001
- Potentially preventable hospitalizations for acute and chronic conditions, 2008: Statistical Brief# 99.Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Statistical Brief. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2011
- Is the emergency department an appropriate substitute for primary care for persons with traumatic spinal cord injury?.Spinal Cord. 2013; 51: 202-208
- Secondary conditions following spinal cord injury in a population-based sample.Spinal Cord. 1998; 36: 45-50
- Health care utilization and barriers experienced by individuals with spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 1114-1126
- Bone mineral density testing in spinal cord injury: 2019 ISCD official position.J Clin Densitom. 2019; 22: 554-566
- Secondary medical complications after traumatic spinal cord injury in Stockholm, Sweden: towards developing prevention strategies.J Rehabil Med. 2019; 51: 513-517
- Latest approaches for the treatment of spasticity and autonomic dysreflexia in chronic spinal cord injury.Neurotherapeutics. 2011; 8: 274-282
- Etiology and incidence of rehospitalization after traumatic spinal cord injury: a multicenter analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1757-1763
- Complications of spinal cord injury over the first year after discharge from inpatient rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 98: 1800-1805
- Increased risk of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary thromboembolism in patients with spinal cord injury: a nationwide cohort prospective study.Thromb Res. 2014; 133: 579-584
- Caring for patients with a traumatic spinal cord injury.Nursing. 2020; 50: 30-40
- Early identification of cardiovascular diseases in people with spinal cord injury: key information for primary care providers.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 98: 1277-1279
- Physician compensation strategies and quality of care for Medicare beneficiaries.Am J Manag Care. 2014; 20: 804-811
- Identifying potentially avoidable hospital admissions from Canadian long-term care facilities.Med Care. 2009; : 250-254
- The effects of interdisciplinary outpatient geriatrics on the use, costs and quality of health services in the fee-for-service environment.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2008; 20: 556-561
- Spinal cord injury (SCI) facts and figures at a glance.National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, Facts and Figures at a Glance, Birmingham2016
- Traumatic spinal cord injury and risk of early and late onset Alzheimer's disease and related dementia: large longitudinal study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2021; 102: 1147-1154
- Mental health disorders and chronic disease among adults with spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2019; 100: e97
Optum. Clinformatics Data Mart. Available at: https://www.optum.com/content/dam/optum/resources/productSheets/Clinformatics_for_Data_Mart.pdf. Accessed October 15, 2021.
The University of Rhode Island College of Pharmacy. User guide Optum Clinformatics Data Mart database. Available at: https://web.uri.edu/pharmacy/files/USER-GUIDE-V-02-27-2017.pdf. Accessed October 15, 2021.
Spinal Cord Injury Information Pages. Spinal cord injury facts and statistics. Available at: https://www.sci-info-pages.com/spinal-cord-injury-facts-and-statistics/. Accessed October 15, 2021.
- Bladder cancer in spinal cord injury patients.Spinal Cord. 2010; 48: 257-261
- Cardiovascular and metabolic morbidity following spinal cord injury.Spine J. 2021; 21: 1520-1527
- Psychological morbidity and chronic disease among adults with traumatic spinal cord injuries: a longitudinal cohort study of privately insured beneficiaries.Spine J. 2019; 19: 1680-1686
- Musculoskeletal morbidity following spinal cord injury: a longitudinal cohort study of privately-insured beneficiaries.Bone. 2021; 142115700
Agency for Healthcare Reseach and Quality. Prevention quality indicators overview. Available at: https://qualityindicators.ahrq.gov/Modules/pqi_resources.aspx#techspecs. Accessed October 15, 2021.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Prevention quality indicators technical specifications. Available at: https://qualityindicators.ahrq.gov/Modules/PQI_TechSpec_ICD10_v2021.aspx. Accessed October 15, 2021.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Prevention quality indicator 90 (PQI 90). Prevention quality overall composite. Available at: https://qualityindicators.ahrq.gov/Downloads/Modules/PQI/V2021/TechSpecs/PQI_90_Prevention_Quality_Overall_Composite.pdf. Accessed October 15, 2021.
- Development and implementation of a real-time 30-day readmission predictive model.Paper presented at: AMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings, Washington DC2014
- Cardiovascular complications of spinal cord injury.Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2012; 132: 115-120
- Trauma: crosscutting breakout session.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2005; 19: 82S-86S
- Lifetime prevalence of chronic health conditions among persons with spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 673-679
- A prospective assessment of mortality in chronic spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2005; 43: 408-416
- Baseline prevalence of heart diseases, hypertension, diabetes, and obesity in persons with acute traumatic spinal cord injury: potential threats in the recovery trajectory.Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2013; 19: 172-182
- Risk of stroke, heart attack, and diabetes complications among veterans with spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 1448-1453
- Diabetes mellitus in individuals with spinal cord injury or disorder.J Spinal Cord Med. 2006; 29: 387-395
- Examining health-care utilization in the first year following spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2015; 38: 690-695
- Urologic management and complications in spinal cord injury patients: a 40-to 50-year follow-up study.Urology. 2017; 104: 52-58
- Complications and urologic risks of neurogenic bladder in veterans with traumatic spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2015; 53: 200-203
- Traumatic vs non-traumatic spinal cord injury: A comparison of primary rehabilitation outcomes and complications during hospitalization.J Spinal Cord Med. 2019; 42: 695-701
- Association of pneumonia, wound infection, and sepsis with clinical outcomes after acute traumatic spinal cord injury.J Neurotrauma. 2019; 36: 3044-3050
- Access to health and support services: perspectives of people living with a long-term traumatic spinal cord injury in rural and urban areas.Disabil Rehabil. 2015; 37: 1401-1410
- Predicting compliance with annual follow-up evaluations in persons with spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 1997; 35: 314-319
- Health care utilization in persons with traumatic spinal cord injury: the importance of multimorbidity and the impact on patient outcomes.Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2014; 20: 289-301
- A primary care provider's guide to accessibility after spinal cord injury.Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2020; 26: 79-84
- Barriers for individuals with spinal cord injury returning to the community: a preliminary classification.Disabil Health J. 2012; 5: 190-196
- Perspectives on life following a traumatic spinal cord injury.Disabil Health J. 2021; 14101067
- Effects of drugs on bone metabolism in a cohort of individuals with traumatic spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord Ser Cases. 2019; 5: 1-7
U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. A and B recommendations. Available at: https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation-topics/uspstf-and-b-recommendations. Accessed June 15, 2021.
- Effects of chronic shoulder pain on quality of life and occupational engagement in the population with chronic spinal cord injury: preparing for the best outcomes with occupational therapy.Disabil Rehabil. 2017; 39: 82-90
- Client-centered occupational therapy for individuals with spinal cord injury.Occup Ther Health Care. 2007; 21: 1-15
- Rehospitalization in the first year of traumatic spinal cord injury after discharge from medical rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: S87-S97
Supported by the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR #90RTHF0001-01-00).