Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:AIS (American Spinal Injury Association Impairment Scale), AUD (alcohol use disorder), NSCID (National Spinal Cord Injury Database), SCI (spinal cord injury), SCIMS (Spinal Cord Injury Model Systems), TSCI (traumatic spinal cord injury), UTI (urinary tract infection)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Recent trends in mortality and causes of death among persons with spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999; 80: 1411-1419
- Life expectancy of ventilator-dependent persons with spinal cord injuries.Chest. 1995; 108: 226-232
- Cause of death trends among persons with spinal cord injury 1960-2017.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2021 Nov 17; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Changing demographics and injury profile of new traumatic spinal cord injuries in the United States, 1972-2014.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1610-1619
- The economic consequences of traumatic spinal cord injury.Demos Publications, New York1992
- Prevalence and causes of paralysis-United States, 2013.Am J Public Health. 2016; 106: 1855-1857
- Cohort profile of the International Spinal Cord Injury Community Survey implemented in 22 countries.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 101: 2103-2111
- Spinal Cord Injury Model Systems: review of program and national database from 1970 to 2015.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1797-1804
- Trends in new injuries, prevalent cases, and aging with spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 332-338
- Epidemiology of traumatic spinal cord injury: trends and future implications.Spinal Cord. 2012; 50: 365-372
- International standards for neurological classification of spinal cord injury (revised 2011).J Spinal Cord Med. 2011; 34: 535-546
- The value of postural reduction in the initial management of closed injuries of the spine with paraplegia and tetraplegia. I.Paraplegia. 1969; 7: 179-192
- SF-12: how to score the SF-12 Physical and Mental Health Summary Scales.Quality Metric Inc, Lincoln1998
- The AUDIT alcohol consumption questions (AUDIT-C): an effective brief screening test for problem drinking: Ambulatory Care Quality Improvement Project (ACQUIP): Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test.Arch Intern Med. 1998; 158: 1789-1795
- Two brief alcohol-screening tests from the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT): validation in a female Veterans Affairs patient population.Arch Intern Med. 2003; 163: 821-829
- The Patient Health Questionnaire-2: validity of a two-item depression screener.Med Care. 2003; 41: 1284-1292
- Quantifying handicap: a new measure of long-term rehabilitation outcomes.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1992; 73: 519-526
- The Satisfaction With Life Scale.J Pers Assess. 1985; 49: 71-75
- Constructing inverse probability weights for marginal structural models.Am J Epidemiol. 2008; 168: 656-664
- Representativeness of the Spinal Cord Injury Model Systems National Database.Spinal Cord. 2018; 56: 126-132
- Risk of mortality after spinal cord injury: an 8-year prospective study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 1708-1715
- The association between the etiology of a spinal cord injury and time to mortality in the United States: a 44-year investigation.J Spinal Cord Med. 2019; 42: 444-452
- Risk factors for mortality after spinal cord injury in the USA.Spinal Cord. 2013; 51: 413-418
- Traumatic spinal cord injury in the United States, 1993-2012.JAMA. 2015; 313: 2236-2243
- Incidence and prevalence of spinal cord injury in Canada: a national perspective.Neuroepidemiology. 2012; 38: 219-226
- Estimating the incidence and prevalence of traumatic spinal cord injury in Australia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 76-83
- The Stockholm Spinal Cord Uro Study: 2. Urinary tract infections in a regional prevalence group: frequency, symptoms and treatment strategies.Scand J Urol. 2020; 54: 155-161
- It's all of the above: benefits of working for individuals with spinal cord injury.Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2015; 21: 1-9
Anderson C, Ballantine E, Bickenbach J, et al. Education and employment. In: Bickenbach J, Officer A, Shakespeare T, et al, (eds). International perspectives on spinal cord injury. Availiable at: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/international-perspectives-on-spinal-cord-injury. Accessed October 11, 2021.
- Socioeconomic and behavioral risk factors for mortality: do risk factors observed after spinal cord injury parallel those from the general USA population?.Spinal Cord. 2012; 50: 609-613
- Gainful employment and risk of mortality after spinal cord injury: effects beyond that of demographic, injury and socioeconomic factors.Spinal Cord. 2012; 50: 784-788
- Employment among people with spinal cord injury in 22 countries across the world: results from the International Spinal Cord Injury Community Survey.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 101: 2157-2166
- The global burden of pressure ulcers among patients with spinal cord injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2020; 21: 334
- Pressure ulcer prevalence in people with spinal cord injury: age-period-duration effects.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 1208-1213
- Comparison of all-cause and cause-specific mortality of persons with traumatic spinal cord injuries to the general Swiss population: results from a national cohort study.Neuroepidemiology. 2019; 52: 205-213
- Prevalence of depression after spinal cord injury: a meta-analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96: 133-140
- Prevalence, severity, and comorbidity of 12-month DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005; 62: 617-627
Paralyzed Veterans of America Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine. Management of mental health disorders, substance use disorders, and suicide in adults with spinal cord injury - clinical practice guideline for healthcare providers. Available at: https://info.pva.org/receive-your-pdf-of-pvas-mental-health-cpg. Accessed October 11, 2021.
- Patterns of alcohol and substance use and abuse in persons with spinal cord injury: risk factors and correlates.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1837-1847
- Co-occurring medical and mental illness and substance use disorders among veteran clinic users with spinal cord injury patients with complexities.Spinal Cord. 2009; 47: 789-795
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA). Understanding alcohol use disorder. Available at: https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/understanding-alcohol-use-disorder. Accessed October 11, 2021.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality. 2019 national survey on drug use and health. Table 5.4A—alcohol use disorder in past year among persons aged 12 or older, by age group and demographic characteristics: numbers in thousands, 2018 an d 2019. Available at: https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/reports/rpt29394/NSDUHDetailedTabs2019/NSDUHDetTabsSect5pe2019.htm?s=5.4&#tab5-4a. Accessed October 11, 2021.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality. 2019 national survey on drug use and health. Table 5.4B—alcohol use disorder in past year among persons aged 12 or older, by age group and demographic characteristics: percentages, 2018 and 2019. Availiable at:https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/reports/rpt29394/NSDUHDetailedTabs2019/NSDUHDetTabsSect5pe2019.htm?s=5.4&#tab5-4a. Accessed October 11, 2021.
- Predicting community reintegration after spinal cord injury from demographic and injury characteristics.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999; 80: 1485-1491
- Aging with spinal cord injury: changes in selected health indices and life satisfaction.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1848-1853
Supported by the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR) (grant no. 90DP0083). NIDILRR is a Center within the Administration for Community Living (ACL), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The contents of this manuscript do not necessarily represent the policy of NIDILRR, ACL, HHS, and endorsement by the federal government should not be assumed.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- ErratumArchives of Physical Medicine and RehabilitationVol. 104Issue 4
- PreviewIn the article “Demographic and health profile of people living with traumatic spinal cord injury in the United States during 2015-2019: Findings from the Spinal Cord Injury Model Systems Database” by Chen Y, Wen H, Baidwan N, and DeVivo MJ, published in Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2022;103(4):622-633. PMID: 34808122 , https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34808122/ , Figures 3C and 3D were accidentally duplicates of Figures 4C and 4D. The correct versions of Figures 3C and 3D appear below.