Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:AIS (American Spinal Injury Association Impairment Scale), EMSCI (European Multicenter Study about Spinal Cord Injury), LEMS (lower extremity motor score), NLI (neurologic level of injury), SCI (spinal cord injury), SCIMS (Spinal Cord Injury Model Systems), TMS (total motor score), UEMS (upper extremity motor score)
American Spinal Injury Association. International standards for neurological and functional classification of spinal cord injury patients, revised 2019. Richmond, VA.
- Recovery following complete paraplegia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1992; 73: 784-789
- A comparison of diagnostic stability of the ASIA Impairment Scale versus Frankel Classification systems for traumatic spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 101: 1556-1562
- Common data elements for spinal cord injury clinical research: a National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke project.Spinal Cord. 2015; 53: 265-277
- Wrist extensor recovery in traumatic quadriplegia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1987; 68: 287-290
- Motor recovery of the upper extremities in traumatic quadriplegia: a multicenter study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1992; 73: 431-436
- Course of motor recovery in the zone of partial preservation in spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1992; 73: 437-441
- Recovery of zero-grade muscles in the zone of partial preservation in motor complete quadriplegia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1992; 73: 40-43
- Recovery of upper-extremity strength in complete and incomplete tetraplegia: a multicenter study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 81: 389-393
National Library of Medicine. Safety and efficacy study of intravenous (IV) administration of elezanumab to assess change in upper extremity motor score (UEMS) in adult participants with acute traumatic cervical spinal cord injury (SCI) (ELASCI). Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04295538. Accessed December 15, 2021.
National Library of Medicine. Safety and preliminary efficacy of FAB117-HC in patients with acute traumatic spinal cord injury (SPINE). Available at:https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02917291. Accessed December 15, 2021.
National Library of Medicine. Adipose stem cells for traumatic spinal cord injury (CELLTOP). Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03308565. Accessed December 15, 2021.
National Library of Medicine. Phase I/II study of KP-100IT in acute spinal cord injury. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02193334. Accessed December 15, 2021.
National Library of Medicine. Safety study of ibuprofen to treat acute traumatic spinal cord injury. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02096913. Accessed December 15, 2021.
National Library of Medicine. Hypothermia following spinal cord injury. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01739010. Accessed December 15, 2021.
National Library of Medicine. Study to assess the efficacy and safety of VX-210 in subjects with acute traumatic cervical spinal cord injury. Available at:https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02669849. Accessed December 15, 2021.
- Guidelines for the conduct of clinical trials for spinal cord injury as developed by the ICCP panel: spontaneous recovery after spinal cord injury and statistical power needed for therapeutic clinical trials.Spinal Cord. 2007; 45: 190-205
- Injury severity as primary predictor of outcome in acute spinal cord injury: retrospective results from a large multicenter clinical trial.Spine J. 2004; 4: 373-378
- Upper- and lower-extremity motor recovery after traumatic cervical spinal cord injury: an update from the national spinal cord injury database.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 92: 369-375
- Neurologic recovery after traumatic spinal cord injury: data from the Model Spinal Cord Injury Systems.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999; 80: 1391-1396
- Recovery from a spinal cord injury: significance of compensation, neural plasticity, and repair.J Neurotrauma. 2008; 25: 677-685
- The influence of neurological examination timing within hours after acute traumatic spinal cord injuries: an observational study.Spinal Cord. 2020; 58: 247-254
- Trends in rates of ASIA Impairment Scale conversion in traumatic complete spinal cord injury.Neurotrauma Rep. 2020; : 192-200
- Patterns of sacral sparing components on neurologic recovery in newly injured persons with traumatic spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1647-1655
- Characterizing natural recovery after traumatic spinal cord injury.J Neurotrauma. 2021; 38: 1267-1284
- Spinal Cord Injury Model Systems: review of program and national database from 1970 to 2015.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1797-1804
- Changing demographics and injury profile of new traumatic spinal cord injuries in the United States, 1972-2014.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1610-1619
- Extent of spontaneous motor recovery after traumatic cervical sensorimotor complete spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2011; 49: 257-265
- The natural history of complete spinal cord injury: a pooled analysis of 1162 patients and a meta-analysis of modern data.J Neurosurg Spine. 2018; 28: 436-443
- Guidelines for the conduct of clinical trials for spinal cord injury (SCI) as developed by the ICCP panel: clinical trial outcome measures.Spinal Cord. 2007; 45: 206-221
- Motor and sensory recovery following complete tetraplegia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1993; 74: 242-247
- Motor recovery, functional status, and health-related quality of life in patients with complete spinal cord injuries.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2005; 30: 2200-2207
- Neurological recovery after conservative treatment of cervical cord injuries.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1994; 76: 225-228
- Unbiased recursive partitioning to stratify patients with acute traumatic spinal cord injuries: external validity in an observational cohort study.J Neurotrauma. 2019; 36: 2732-2742
- Identifying homogeneous subgroups in neurological disorders: unbiased recursive partitioning in cervical complete spinal cord injury.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2014; 28: 507-515
- The Sygen multicenter acute spinal cord injury study.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2001; 26: S87-S98
- Establishing prognosis and maximizing functional outcomes after spinal cord injury: a review of current and future directions in rehabilitation management.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2001; 26: S137-S145
- Sparing of sensation to pin prick predicts recovery of a motor segment after injury to the spinal cord.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1997; 79: 952-954
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
This work was performed at Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation and Kessler Foundation in West Orange, NJ, an affiliate of the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey.
Supported in part by the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR grant nos. 90SI5026 and 90SI5024).