- •The characteristics and outcomes of patients with heart failure (HF) admitted to inpatient cardiac rehabilitation (CR) are poorly defined.
- •This lack of knowledge may generate uncertainty about the role of inpatient CR.
- •Patients admitted to inpatient CR have a poor clinical and functional profile.
- •In patient CR is effective in improving functional capacity.
- •In patients with post-acute HF, inpatient CR is associated with improved long-term survival.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:6MWD (six-minute walking distance), 6MWT (six-minute walking test), CR (cardiac rehabilitation), HF (heart failure)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 301 acute and chronic diseases and injuries in 188 countries, 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.Lancet. 2015; 386: 743-800
- Heart disease and stroke statistics—2021 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2021; 143: e254-e743
- Temporal trends and patterns in heart failure incidence: a population-based study of 4 million individuals.Lancet. 2018; 391: 572-580
- Temporal trends in prevalence and prognostic implications of comorbidities among patients with acute decompensated heart failure: the ARIC study community surveillance.Circulation. 2020; 142: 230-243
- National trends in heart failure mortality in men and women, United Kingdom, 2000-2017.Eur J Heart Fail. 2021; 23: 3-12
- Survival of patients with chronic heart failure in the community: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Heart Fail. 2019; 21: 1306-1325
- Long-term outcomes of acute heart failure: where are we now?.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 70: 2487-2489
- Diagnoses and timing of 30-day readmissions after hospitalization for heart failure, acute myocardial infarction, or pneumonia.JAMA. 2013; 309: 355-363
- Inpatient mortality risk scores and postdischarge events in hospitalized heart failure patients: a community-based study.Circ Heart Fail. 2017; 10e003926
- In-hospital and postdischarge mortality among patients with acute decompensated heart failure hospitalizations ending on the weekend versus weekday: the ARIC Study Community Surveillance.J Am Heart Assoc. 2019; 8e011631
- Frequency, trends and institutional variation in 30-day all-cause mortality and unplanned readmissions following hospitalisation for heart failure in Australia and New Zealand.Eur J Heart Fail. 2021; 23: 31-40
- Temporal trends in mortality and readmission after acute heart failure: a systematic review and meta-regression in the past four decades.Eur J Heart Fail. 2021; 3: 420-431
- Clinical phenotypes and outcome of patients hospitalized for acute heart failure: the ESC Heart Failure Long-Term Registry.Eur J Heart Fail. 2017; 19: 1242-1254
- Trends in survival after a diagnosis of heart failure in the United Kingdom 2000-2017: population based cohort study.BMJ. 2019; 364: l223
- Characteristics of acute heart failure hospitalizations based on presenting severity.Circ Heart Fail. 2019; 12e005171
- Global estimates of the need for rehabilitation based on the Global Burden of Disease study 2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.Lancet. 2021; 396: 2006-2017
- Activities of daily living and outcomes in heart failure.Circ Heart Fail. 2015; 8: 261-267
- Evaluation of a transitional care program after hospitalization for heart failure in an integrated health care system.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2027410
- Current status of cardiac rehabilitation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008; 51: 1619-1631
- Home-based cardiac rehabilitation: a scientific statement from the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, the American Heart Association, and the American College of Cardiology.Circulation. 2019; 140: e69-e89
- Physical rehabilitation for older patients hospitalized for heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2021; 385: 203-216
- Addition of supervised exercise training to a post-hospital disease management program for patients recently hospitalized with acute heart failure: the EJECTION-HF randomized phase 4 trial.JACC Heart Fail. 2018; 6: 143-152
- Review of trials on exercise-based rehabilitation interventions following acute decompensated heart failure: observations from the WHO International Clinical Trials Registry Platform.J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev. 2021; 41: 214-223
- Cardiac prevention and rehabilitation “3.0”: from acute to chronic phase. Position paper of the Italian Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation (GICR-IACPR).Monaldi Arch Chest Dis. 2018; 88: 1004-1025
Gazzetta Ufficiale della Repubblica Italiana. Piano d'indirizzo per la riabilitazione. 2011;50:163-82.
- Association between physical activity levels in the hospital setting and hospital-acquired functional decline in elderly patients.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e1920185
- Efficacy and safety of exercise training in patients with chronic heart failure: HF-ACTION randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2009; 301: 1439-1450
- Cardiac resynchronization in chronic heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 1845-1853
- Factors influencing the predictive power of models for predicting mortality and/or heart failure hospitalization in patients with heart failure.JACC Heart Fail. 2014; 2: 429-436
- Risk prediction in patients with heart failure: a systematic review and analysis.JACC Heart Fail. 2014; 2: 440-446
- Clinical significance of Get With the Guidelines-Heart Failure risk score in patients with chronic heart failure after hospitalization.J Am Heart Assoc. 2018; 7e008316
- Multiple imputation using chained equations: issues and guidance for practice.Stat Med. 2011; 30: 377-399
- Impact of in-hospital cardiac rehabilitation on mortality and readmissions in heart failure: a population study in Lombardy, Italy, from 2005 to 2012.Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2019; 26: 808-817
- Short-term change in distance walked in 6 min is an indicator of outcome in patients with chronic heart failure in clinical practice.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 48: 99-105
- Quality improvement strategies to optimise transition of patients with heart failure to independent living: protocol for a scoping review.BMJ Open. 2014; 4e005711
- Prognostic significance and determinants of the 6-min walk test in patients with heart failure and preserved ejection fraction.JACC Heart Fail. 2015; 3: 459-466
- 6-min walk test provides prognostic utility comparable to cardiopulmonary exercise testing in ambulatory outpatients with systolic heart failure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 60: 2653-2661
- Prediction of mortality and morbidity with a 6-minute walk test in patients with left ventricular dysfunction.SOLVD Investigators. JAMA. 1993; 270: 1702-1707
- Reliability, construct validity and determinants of 6-minute walk test performance in patients with chronic heart failure.Int J Cardiol. 2017; 240: 285-290
- Nature of cardiac rehabilitation around the globe.EClinicalMedicine. 2019; 13: 46-56
- Validation of exercise capacity as a surrogate endpoint in exercise-based rehabilitation for heart failure: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.JACC Heart Fail. 2018; 6: 596-604
- Heart failure management in skilled nursing facilities: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association and the Heart Failure Society of America.Circ Heart Fail. 2015; 8: 655-667
- Improving postdischarge outcomes in acute heart failure.Am J Ther. 2018; 25: e475-e486