Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), ICD-9 (International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision), ICD-10 (International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision), i2b2 (Informatics for Integrating Biology and the Bedside), MS (multiple sclerosis), OR (odds ratio), UAB (University of Alabama at Birmingham), US (United States)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Mechanisms of neuronal dysfunction and degeneration in multiple sclerosis.Prog Neurobiol. 2011; 93: 1-12
- Multiple sclerosis: an immune or neurodegenerative disorder?.Annu Rev Neurosci. 2008; 31: 247-269
- The prevalence of MS in the United States: a population-based estimate using health claims data.Neurology. 2019; 92: e1029-e1040
- Incidence of multiple sclerosis in multiple racial and ethnic groups.Neurology. 2013; 80: 1734-1739
- The Gulf War era multiple sclerosis cohort: age and incidence rates by race, sex and service.Brain. 2012; 135: 1778-1785
- Race and ethnicity on MS presentation and disease course.Mult Scler J. 2020; 26: 561-567
- Estimated incidence of multiple sclerosis among United States Armed Forces personnel using the Defense Medical Surveillance System.Mil Med. 2012; 177: 594-600
- Multiple sclerosis characteristics in African American patients in the New York State Multiple Sclerosis Consortium.Mult Scler. 2003; 9: 293-298
- Multiple sclerosis susceptibility alleles in African Americans.Genes Immun. 2010; 11: 343-350
- Brain and retinal atrophy in African-Americans versus Caucasian-Americans with multiple sclerosis: a longitudinal study.Brain. 2018; 141: 3115-3129
- Clinical characteristics of multiple sclerosis in African-Americans.Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2019; 19: 87
- Clinical characteristics of African Americans vs Caucasian Americans with multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2004; 63: 2039-2045
- Multiple sclerosis: severity and progression rate in African Americans compared with Whites.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 82: 582-590
- Ethnic considerations and multiple sclerosis disease variability in the United States.Neurol Clin. 2018; 36: 151-162
- The genetic diversity of multiple sclerosis risk among Hispanic and African American populations living in the United States.Mult Scler J. 2019; 26: 1329-1339
- Hispanic Americans and African Americans with multiple sclerosis have more severe disease course than Caucasian Americans.Mult Scler. 2017; 23: 1554-1557
- Influence of body mass index on psychological and functional outcomes in patients with multiple sclerosis: a cross-sectional study.Nutr Neurosci. 2016; 19: 79-85
- Multiple sclerosis in US minority populations: clinical practice insights.Neurol Clin Pract. 2015; 5: 132-142
- Multiple sclerosis mortality by race/ethnicity, age, sex, and time period in the United States, 1999-2015.Neuroepidemiology. 2018; 50: 35-40
- Measures of general and abdominal obesity and disability severity in a large population of people with multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler. 2020; 26: 976-986
- Emerging effects of comorbidities on multiple sclerosis.Lancet Neurol. 2010; 9: 820-828
- Prevalence of obesity and severe obesity among adults: United States, 2017-2018.National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD2020
US Deparment of Health and Human Services. National diabetes statistics report, 2020, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, editor. Atlanta: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2020.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Estimated hypertension prevalence, treatment, and control among U.S. adults tables. Available at:https://millionhearts.hhs.gov/data-reports/hypertension-prevalence-tables.html#Table1. Accessed 29 April 2021.
i2b2. Informatics for integrating biology and the bedside. Available at: https://www.i2b2.org. Accessed 29 April 2021.
- Association of all-cause mortality with overweight and obesity using standard body mass index categories: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2013; 309: 71-82
- Comorbidity delays diagnosis and increases disability at diagnosis in MS.Neurology. 2009; 72: 117-124
- Surveillance of health status in minority communities - Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health Across the U.S. (REACH U.S.) Risk Factor Survey, United States, 2009.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2011; 60: 1-44
- Influence of race, ethnicity and social determinants of health on diabetes outcomes.Am J Med Sci. 2016; 351: 366-373
- Culturally targeted strategies for diabetes prevention in minority population: a systematic review and framework.Diabetes Educ. 2017; 43: 54-77
- The effects of a community-based, culturally tailored diabetes prevention intervention for high-risk adults of Mexican descent.Diabetes Educ. 2014; 40: 202-213
Research reported in this publication was supported by the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences of the National Institutes of Health under award no. UL1TR003096. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.