- •A 2-factor structure TSK-11 was confirmed in a large mixed chronic pain population.
- •Two brief TSK versions (TSK-7 and TSK-5) had similar psychometrics compared with TSK-11.
- •Both TSK-7 and TSK-5 total scores and subscales had good convergent validity.
Main Outcome Measure
List of abbreviations:AA (activity avoidance), BPI (Brief Pain Inventory Short Form), CPAQ-8 (Chronic Pain Acceptance Questionnaire–8-item short form), EFA (exploratory factor analysis), KHSC (Kingston Health Sciences Centre), PCS-6 (Pain Catastrophizing Scale–6-item short form), SF (somatic focus), SF-12 (Short Form 12-item Health Survey), TSK (Tampa Scale of Kinesiophobia)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2012; 380: 2163-2196
- The relation between pain-related fear and disability: a meta-analysis.J Pain. 2013; 14: 1019-1030
- Fear-avoidance and its consequences in chronic musculoskeletal pain: a state of the art.Pain. 2000; 85: 317-332
- The fear-avoidance model of musculoskeletal pain: current state of scientific evidence.J Behav Med. 2007; 30: 77-94
- Development of the Fear of Pain Questionnaire—III.J Behav Med. 1998; 21: 389-410
- A Fear-Avoidance Beliefs Questionnaire (FABQ) and the role of fear-avoidance beliefs in chronic low back pain and disability.Pain. 1993; 52: 157-168
- Fear of movement/(re)injury in chronic low back pain and its relation to behavioral performance.Pain. 1995; 62: 362-372
- Tampa Scale.Unpublished report, Tampa, FL1991 (Available at: https://www.whria.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/TAMPA.pdf. Accessed May 7, 2021)
- Assessment of psychosocial and functional impact of chronic pain.J Pain. 2016; 17: T21-T49
- Fear of movement: factor structure of the tampa scale of kinesiophobia in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome.J Pain. 2005; 6: 384-391
- Fear of movement and (re)injury in chronic musculoskeletal pain: evidence for an invariant two-factor model of the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia across pain diagnoses and Dutch, Swedish, and Canadian samples.Pain. 2007; 131: 181-190
- Psychometric properties of the TSK-11: a shortened version of the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia.Pain. 2005; 117: 137-144
- Psychometric properties of the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia-11 (TSK-11).J Pain. 2012; 13: 970-977
- Chronic pain management: guidelines for multidisciplinary program development.(editors)1st ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL2007
- Handbook of pain assessment.(editors)3rd ed. Guilford Press, New York2011
- Psychometric properties of the Fear-Avoidance Beliefs Questionnaire and Tampa Scale of Kinesiophobia in patients with shoulder pain.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 1128-1136
- Pain assessment: Global use of the Brief Pain Inventory.Ann Acad Med Singap. 1994; 23: 129-138
- The PHQ-9: validity of a brief depression severity measure.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 606-613
- Development and evaluation of short forms of the Pain Catastrophizing Scale and the Pain Self-efficacy Questionnaire.Eur J Pain. 2015; 19: 1342-1349
- 12-item short-form health survey: construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity.Med Care. 1996; 34: 220-233
- Validation of the chronic pain acceptance questionnaire (CPAQ) in an Internet sample and development and preliminary validation of the CPAQ-8.Pain. 2010; 149: 435-443
- A 2-item short form of the Pain Self-efficacy Questionnaire: development and psychometric evaluation of PSEQ-2.J Pain. 2015; 16: 153-163
- Using Multivariate Statistics.5th ed. Pearson/Allyn & Bacon, Boston2007
- The West Haven-Yale Multidimensional Pain Inventory (WHYMPI).Pain. 1985; 23: 345-356
- Applied Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences.5 ed. Houghton Mifflin, Boston2003
- Development and implementation of a registry of patients attending multidisciplinary pain treatment clinics: the Quebec Pain Registry.Pain Res Manag. 2017; 20178123812
- What do the numbers mean? Normative data in chronic pain measures.Pain. 2008; 134: 158-173
- Comparison of pain syndromes associated with nervous or somatic lesions and development of a new neuropathic pain diagnostic questionnaire (DN4).Pain. 2005; 114: 29-36
- Brief Fear of Movement Scale for osteoarthritis.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2012; 64: 862-871
- Measuring health: a guide to rating scales and questionnaires.3rd ed. Oxford University Press, New-York2006
- Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests.Psychometrika. 1951; 16: 297-334
Disclosures: EJB's time on this project was supported in part by grants to SD from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research Strategy for Patient Oriented Research Chronic Pain Network (SCA-145102) and the Ontario Ministry of Health. KV acknowledges support from a Frederick Banting and Charles Best Canada Graduate Scholarship from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (GSD-157891). The other authors have nothing to disclose.