Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome), FRE (Flesch Reading Ease), FKGL (Flesch Kincaid grade level), IS (Information Score), PDF (Portable Document Format), PEMAT-P (Patient Material Assessment Tool for Printable Materials), URL (Uniform Resource Locator)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Win K. Implementing patient accessible health information site for diabetes management. Paper presented at: PACIS 2010–14th Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems. July 9-12, 2020; Taipei, Taiwan.
- Patient comprehension of carpal tunnel surgery: an investigation of health literacy.Hand (N Y). 2017; 12: 175-180
- Most American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons’ online patient education material exceeds average patient reading level.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2015; 473: 1181-1186
- Health information on the Internet: accessibility, quality, and readability in English and Spanish.JAMA. 2001; 285: 2612-2621
- Duggan M. Health online 2013.Washington (DC): Pew Research Center. 2013;
- Provider documentation of patient education: a lean investigation.J Med Libr Assoc. 2016; 104: 154-158
- Online patient-education options.MedGenMed. 2004; 6: 54
- The assessment of quality, accuracy, and readability of online educational resources for platelet-rich plasma.Arthroscopy. 2018; 34: 272-278
- Readability of the most commonly accessed arthroscopy-related online patient education materials.Arthroscopy. 2018; 34: 1272-1279
- Comparative readability of shoulder and elbow patient education materials within orthopaedic websites.Bull Hosp Jt Dis. 2015; 73 (2013): 249-256
- Carpal tunnel syndrome.BMJ. 2014; 349: g6437
- Occupation and carpal tunnel syndrome.ANZ J Surg. 2006; 76: 494-496
- Effectiveness of surgical versus conservative treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome: a systematic review, meta-analysis and qualitative analysis.Hong Kong Physiother J. 2018; 38: 91-114
- Conservative therapeutic management of carpal tunnel syndrome.Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2017; 75: 819-824
- Is surgical intervention more effective than non-surgical treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome? A systematic review.J Orthop Surg Res. 2011; 6: 1-9
- A meta-synthesis of carpal tunnel syndrome treatment options: developing consolidated clinical treatment recommendations to improve practice.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2021 Apr 29; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2021.03.034
- Evaluating the source and content of orthopaedic information on the Internet. The case of carpal tunnel syndrome.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2000; 82: 1540-1543
- Consumer health information on the Internet about carpal tunnel syndrome: indicators of accuracy.Am J Med. 2005; 118: 168-174
- Quality of information on the Internet about carpal tunnel syndrome: an update.Orthopedics. 2013; 36: e1038-e1041
- Comparing diagnostic and treatment recommendations of carpal tunnel syndrome available on the Internet with AAOS clinical practice guidelines.Hand (N Y). 2019; 15: 514-520
- Orthopaedic patient information on the World Wide Web: an essential review.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016; 98: 325-338
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: analysis of online patient information with the EQIP tool.Chir Main. 2015; 34: 113-121
Statcounter. Search engine market share United States of America. Available at: https://gs.statcounter.com/search-engine-market-share/all/united-states-of-america/#monthly-201901-201910. Accessed October 30, 2019.
- A systematic review of online resources to support patient decision-making for full-thickness rectal prolapse surgery.Tech Coloproctol. 2017; 21: 853-862
- Vascular surgery and the Internet: a poor source of patient-oriented information.J Vasc Surg. 1999; 30: 84-91
- Development of the Patient Education Materials Assessment Tool (PEMAT): a new measure of understandability and actionability for print and audiovisual patient information.Patient Educ Couns. 2014; 96: 395-403
- Understanding online health information: evaluation, tools, and strategies.Patient Educ Couns. 2017; 100: 183-189
- The Pateint Education Materials Assessment Tool (PEMAT) and user's guide.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville2013
- A new readability yardstick.J Appl Psychol. 1948; 32: 221-233
- Deviation of new readability formulas (automated readability index, fog count, and flesch reading ease formula) for navy enlisted personnel.Research Branch, Naval Technical Training Command, Millington, TN1975 (Report Rbr-8-75)
- Analysis of the readability of patient education materials from surgical subspecialties.Laryngoscope. 2014; 124: 405-412
- Assessment of online patient education materials from major ophthalmologic associations.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015; 133: 449-454
- Readability analysis of Internet-based patient information regarding skull base tumors.J Neurooncol. 2012; 109: 573-580
- Comparative analysis of online patient education material pertaining to hepatitis and its complications.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 28: 558-566
Bytes A. ReadablePro. A readability tool, with extra power. Available at: https://app.readable.com/text/. Accessed.
- Examining the reading level of Internet medical information for common internal medicine diagnoses.Am J Med. 2016; 129: 637-639
- Health literacy.American Medical Association, Chicago2003
Arthritis Research UK. Carpal tunnel syndrome. Available at: https://healthshare.org.uk/HS_leaflets/PDFs/Carpal-tunnel-syndrome.pdf. Accessed March 9, 2019.
Drugs.com. Carpal tunnel syndrome—what you need to know. Available at: https://www.drugs.com/cg/carpal-tunnel-syndrome.html. Accessed March 9, 2019.
Mater Hospital Brisbane. Carpal tunnel syndrome—patient information brochures. Available at: http://brochures.mater.org.au/brochures/mater-hospital-brisbane/carpal-tunnel-syndrome. Accessed March 9, 2019.
Health Navigator New Zealand. Carpal tunnel syndrome. Available at: https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/health-a-z/c/carpal-tunnel-syndrome/. Accessed March 9, 2019.
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Carpal tunnel syndrome-patient & caregover education. Available at: https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/patient-education/carpal-tunnel-syndrome. Accessed March 9, 2019.
- A systematic review of quantitative and qualitative research on the role and effectiveness of written information available to patients about individual medicines.Health Technol Assess. 2007; 11: 1-177
- Systematic assessment reveals lack of understandability for prostate biopsy online patient education materials.Urology. 2017; 109: 101-106
- Assessing the understandability and actionability of online neurosurgical patient education materials.World Neurosurgery. 2019; 130: e588-e597
- Readability, content, quality and accuracy assessment of Internet-based patient education materials relating to labor analgesia.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2019; 39: 82-87
- Online decision aids for primary cardiovascular disease prevention: systematic search, evaluation of quality and suitability for low health literacy patients.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e025173
Arthritis Research UK in association with Chartered Society of Physiotherapy. Carpal tunnel syndrome. Available at: https://www.csp.org.uk/system/files/2_carpal_tunnel.pdf. Accessed March 9, 2021.
The American Society for Surgert of the Hand. Carpal tunnel syndrome. Available at: https://www.assh.org/handcare/condition/carpal-tunnel-syndrome. Accessed March 9, 2021.
eOrthopod. Carpal tunnel syndrome. Available at: https://www.orthogate.org/patient-education/hand/carpal-tunnel-syndrome. Accessed March 9, 2021.
The British Society for Surgery of the Hand. Carpal tunnel syndrome. Available at: https://www.bssh.ac.uk/_userfiles/pages/files/Patients/Conditions/CTS/cts_leaflet_2016.pdf. Accessed March 9, 2021.