- •We enrolled 6000 patients with ischemic stroke from a nationwide prospective cohort.
- •The incidence of dysphagia was 32.3% (n=1940) at 7 days after ischemic stroke.
- •At the time of discharge, 80.5% (n=1561) of the patients still had dysphagia.
- •Age, body mass index, and premorbid disabilities contribute to poststroke dysphagia.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:ASHA-NOMS (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association National Outcomes Measurement System), BMI (body mass index), CI (confidence interval), FEES (fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing test), FMA (Fugl-Meyer assessment), KOSCO (Korean Stroke Cohort for Functioning and Rehabilitation), MMSE (Mini-Mental State Examination), mRS (modified Rankin Scale), NIHSS (National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale), OR (odds ratio), VFSS (videofluoroscopic swallowing study)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Swallowing function after stroke: prognosis and prognostic factors at 6 months.Stroke. 1999; 30: 744-748
- The natural history of dysphagia following a stroke.Dysphagia. 1997; 12: 188-193
- Effect of malnutrition after acute stroke on clinical outcome.Stroke. 1996; 27: 1028-1032
- Aspiration pneumonia and dysphagia in the elderly.Chest. 2003; 124: 328-336
- Screening for oropharyngeal dysphagia in stroke: insufficient evidence for guidelines.Dysphagia. 2000; 15: 19-30
- Dysphagia after stroke: incidence, diagnosis, and pulmonary complications.Sroke. 2005; 36: 2756-2763
- Dysphagia in acute stroke: incidence, burden and impact on clinical outcome.PLoS One. 2016; 1e0148424
- Development and validation of a prognostic model of swallowing recovery and enteral tube feeding after ischemic stroke.JAMA Neurol. 2019; 76: 561-570
- The prediction of persistent dysphagia beyond six months after stroke.Dysphagia. 2008; 23: 59-64
- Development of a novel prognostic model to predict 6-month swallowing recovery after ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2020; 51: 440-448
- Korean Stroke Cohort for functioning and rehabilitation (KOSCO): study rationale and protocol of a multi-centre prospective cohort study.BMC neurol. 2015; 15: 1-7
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chron Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
Bernardini J, Callen S, Fried L, Piraino B. Inter-rater reliability and annual rescoring of the Charlson comorbidity index. Proceedings of the advances in peritoneal dialysis Conference on peritoneal dialysis; 2004.
- Pre-stroke modified Rankin scale: evaluation of validity, prognostic accuracy, and association with treatment.Front Neurol. 2017; 8: 275
- Reliability of the modified Rankin Scale.Stroke. 1992; 23: 438
- Comparison of the National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale with disability outcome measures in acute stroke trials.Stroke. 2005; 36: 2187-2192
- The post-stroke hemiplegic patient. 1. a method for evaluation of physical performance.Scand J Rehabil Med. 1975; 7: 13-31
- Adult Speech-Language Pathology User's guide.National Center for Evidence-Based Practice in Communication Disorders, 2003
- Three tests for predicting aspiration without videofluorography.Dysphagia. 2003; 18: 126-134
- American Gastroenterological Association technical review on tube feeding for enteral nutrition.Gastroenterology. 1995; 108: 1282-1301
- Guidelines for enteral feeding in adult hospital patients.Gut. 2003; 52: vii1-vii12
- Guideline clinical nutrition in patients with stroke.Exp Transl Stroke Med. 2013; 5: 1-11
- Validation of the videofluoroscopic dysphagia scale in various etiologies.Dysphagia. 2014; 29: 438-443
- Predictive factors of severity and persistence of oropharyngeal dysphagia in sub-acute stroke.Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2021; 278: 741-748
- Comparative Validity of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association's National Outcomes Measurement System, Functional Oral Intake Scale, and G-Codes to Mann Assessment of Swallowing Ability Scores for Dysphagia.Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2019; 28: 424-429
World Health Organization. Europe Nutrition-Body Mass Index. Available at: http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/disease-prevention/nutrition/a-healthy-lifestyle/body-mass-index-bmi. Accessed April 25, 2021.
- Effect of obesity on functional outcomes at 6 months post-stroke among elderly Koreans: a prospective multicentre study.BMJ Open. 2015; 5e008712
- Dysphagia after stroke: an overview.Curr Phys Med Rehabil Rep. 2013; 1: 187-196
- One-year risk of pneumonia and mortality in patients with poststroke dysphagia: a nationwide population-based study.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2018; 27: 1311-1317
- Use of body mass index of adults in assessing individual and community nutritional status.Bull World Health Organ. 1995; 73: 673
- Value of body mass index in the detection of severe malnutrition: influence of the pathology and changes in anthropometric parameters.Clin Nutr. 2004; 23: 551-559
- Is body weight or muscle strength correlated with the Malnutrition Inflammation Score (MIS)? A cross-sectional study in hemodialysis patients.Clin Nutr ESPEN. 2019; 33: 276-278
- Nutritional status and body fat mass: Determinants of sarcopenia in community-dwelling older adults.Exp Gerontol. 2019; 122: 67-73
- Relationships among body composition, muscle strength, and sarcopenia in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma patients.Support Care Cancer. 2020; 28: 2797-2803
- Sarcopenia in COPD: relationship with COPD severity and prognosis.J Bras Pneumol. 2015; 41: 415-421
- Sarcopenia: prevalence and associated factors based on different suggested definitions in community-dwelling older adults.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2016; 16: 110-122
- Association between malnutrition and outcomes in patients with severe ischemic stroke undergoing rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 101: 852-860
- Impact of premorbid malnutrition and dysphagia on ischemic stroke outcome in elderly patients: a community-based study.J Am Coll Nutr. 2019; 38: 318-326
- associations between spontaneous swallowing frequency at admission, dysphagia, and stroke-related outcomes in acute care.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2019; 100: 1283-1288
- National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS) as an early predictor of poststroke dysphagia.PM&R. 2015; 7: 593-598
- The relationship between lesion localization and dysphagia in acute stroke.Dysphagia. 2017; 32: 777-784
- The neuroscientific principles of swallowing and dysphagia.Advances in Speech Language Pathology. 2000; 2: 155-156
- Dysphagia in patients with brainstem stroke: incidence and outcome.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 79: 170-175
- The global leadership initiative on malnutrition–defined malnutrition predicts prognosis in persons with stroke-related dysphagia.JAMDA. 2019; 20: 1628-1633
- Risk factors for malnutrition in stroke patients: a meta-analysis.Clin Nutr. 2019; 38: 127-135
- ESPEN guidelines for nutrition screening 2002.Clin Nutr. 2003; 22: 415-421
- Screening for undernutrition in geriatric practice: developing the short-form mini-nutritional assessment (MNA-SF).J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56 (M366-M72)
- Malnutrition in hospital outpatients and inpatients: prevalence, concurrent validity and ease of use of the ‘malnutrition universal screening tool’(‘MUST’) for adults.BJN. 2004; 92: 799-808
- Diagnostic criteria for malnutrition–an ESPEN consensus statement.Clin Nutr. 2015; 34: 335-340
- GLIM criteria for the diagnosis of malnutrition–a consensus report from the global clinical nutrition community.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2019; 10: 207-217
- An observational cohort study investigating risk of malnutrition using the malnutrition universal screening tool in patients with stroke.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2019; 28104405
- Interventions for dysphagia and nutritional support in acute and subacute stroke.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 10CD000323
- Impact of dysphagia assessment and management on risk of stroke-associated pneumonia: a systematic review.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2018; 46: 97-105
- Risk of malnutrition is an independent predictor of mortality, length of hospital stay, and hospitalization costs in stroke patients.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2016; 25: 799-806
- Impact of stroke-associated pneumonia on mortality, length of hospitalization, and functional outcome.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2018; 138: 293-300
- Inter-rater reliability of videofluoroscopic dysphagia scale.Ann Rehabil Med. 2012; 36: 791
- Is dysphagia under diagnosed or is normal swallowing more variable than we think? Reported swallowing problems in people aged 18-65 years.Dysphagia. 2020; : 1-9
Supported by a research program funded by the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (grant no. 2019E320202) and by a grant of the MD-PhD/Medical Scientist Training Program through the Korea Health Industry Development Institute and funded by the Ministry of Health and Welfare, Republic of Korea.