- •Hospitals/clinics lack multidisciplinary pediatric oncology rehabilitation programs.
- •Large variability in rehabilitation services available for children with cancer.
- •Gap in services addressing long-term rehabilitation needs of children with cancer.
- •Need for education and training opportunities in pediatric oncology rehabilitation.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CDE (common data element), PSM (prospective surveillance model), US (United States)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
CureSearch for Children's Cancer. Childhood cancer statistics. Available at: https://curesearch.org/childhood-cancer-statistics. Accessed May 12, 2020.
American Cancer Society. Late effects of childhood cancer treatment. Available at:https://www.cancer.org/treatment/children-and-cancer/when-your-child-has-cancer/late-effects-of-cancer-treatment.html. Accessed May 12, 2020.
- Chronic health conditions in adult survivors of childhood cancer.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 1572-1582
- Development of a comprehensive pediatric oncology rehabilitation program.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2020; 67: e28083
- Improving body function and minimizing activity limitations in pediatric leukemia survivors: the lasting impact of the Stoplight Program.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2019; 66: e27596
- Rehabilitation and pediatric oncology: supporting patients and families during and after treatment.Curr Phys Med Rehabil Rep. 2018; 6: 107-114
- Promoting assessment and management of function through navigation: opportunities to bridge oncology and rehabilitation systems of care.Support Care Cancer. 2019; 27: 4497-4505
- Next-generation cancer rehabilitation: a giant step forward for patient care.Rehabil Nurs J. 2018; 43: 186-194
- Current perspectives and emerging issues on cancer rehabilitation.Cancer. 2013; 119: 2170-2178
- Developing high-quality cancer rehabilitation programs: a timely need.Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2016; 35: 241-249
- Toward a national initiative in cancer rehabilitation: recommendations from a subject matter expert group.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 2006-2015
- Beginning restorative activities very early: implementation of an early mobility initiative in a pediatric onco-critical care unit.Front Oncol. 2021; 11645716
- Establishing a hospital-based early intervention program for young children with cancer: a quality improvement initiative.Clin Pract Pediatr Psychol. 2020;
- A prospective surveillance model for rehabilitation for women with breast cancer.Cancer. 2012; 118: 2191-2200
- Impairment-driven cancer rehabilitation: an essential component of quality care and survivorship.CA Cancer J Clin. 2013; 63: 295-317
- Use of a prospective surveillance model to prevent breast cancer treatment-related lymphedema: a single-center experience.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016; 160: 269-276
- Implementing the prospective surveillance model (PSM) of rehabilitation for breast cancer patients with 1-year postoperative follow-up, a prospective, observational study.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 3379-3384
- Breast cancer–related lymphedema: comparing direct costs of a prospective surveillance model and a traditional model of care.Phys Ther. 2012; 92: 152-163
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- The REDCap consortium: building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95103208
- Functional relations among constructs in the same content domain at different levels of analysis: a typology of composition models.J Appl Psychol. 1998; 83: 234-246
- Whatever happened to qualitative description?.Res Nurs Health. 2000; 23: 334-340
- Effectiveness of multidimensional cancer survivor rehabilitation and cost-effectiveness of cancer rehabilitation in general: a systematic review.Oncologist. 2012; 17: 1581-1593
- The cancer survivorship journey: models of care, disparities, barriers, and future directions.Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2016; 35: 231-239
- Cancer rehabilitation in the pediatric and adolescent/young adult population.Semin Oncol Nurs. 2020; 36150984
- Most National Cancer Institute-Designated Cancer Center websites do not provide survivors with information about cancer rehabilitation services.J Cancer Educ. 2018; 33: 947-953
- Rehabilitation following cancer treatment.Disabil Rehabil. 2013; 35: 2245-2258
- Evaluating the public health impact of health promotion interventions: the RE-AIM framework.Am J Public Health. 1999; 89: 1322-1327
- Implementaation strategies.(editors)in: Brownson RC Colditz GA Proctor EK Dissemination and implementation research in health: translating science to practice. Oxford University Press, New York2017
- Implementation strategies: recommendations for specifying and reporting.Implement Sci. 2013; 8: 139
- A refined compilation of implementation strategies: results from the Expert Recommendations for Implementing Change (ERIC) project.Implement Sci. 2015; 10: 21
- Cancer rehabilitation and palliative care: critical components in the delivery of high-quality oncology services.Support Care Cancer. 2015; 23: 3633-3643
- Braveman B Newman R Cancer and occupational therapy. AOTA Press, Bethesda2020
APTA Oncology. APTA Oncology Special Interest Groups. Available at: https://oncologypt.org/sigs/. Accessed September 12, 2020.
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Cancer care: enhancing communication, swallowing, and quality of life. Available at: https://www.asha.org/events/cancer-care/. Accessed September 12, 2020.
APTA Oncology. Specialization in oncology PT. Available at: https://oncologypt.org/specialization/. Accessed September 12, 2020.
American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine. Pediatric Task Force. Available at: https://acrm.org/acrm-communities/cancer/crng-task-forces/crng-pediatric-task-force/. Accessed October 12, 2020.
- A systematic review of rehabilitation and exercise recommendations in oncology guidelines.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; 71: 149-175
- The Common Data Elements for cancer research: remarks on functions and structure.Methods Inf Med. 2006; 45: 594-601
- Improving the value of clinical research through the use of Common Data Elements.Clin Trials. 2016; 13: 671-676