Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:CI (confidence interval), FRAIL (Fatigue, Resistance, Ambulation, Illnesses, and Loss of Weight), IADL (instrumental activities of daily living), IQR (interquartile range), SPPB (Short Physical Performance Battery)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Untangling the concepts of disability, frailty, and comorbidity: implications for improved targeting and care.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2004; 59: 255-263
- Lancet. 2019; 393: 2636-2646
- Frailty consensus: a call to action.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013; 14: 392-397
- Frailty in elderly people.Lancet. 2013; 381: 752-762
- Agreement between the frailty index and phenotype and their associations with falls and overnight hospitalizations.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2016; 66: 161-165
- Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: 146-156
- Nonpharmacological interventions to treat physical frailty and sarcopenia in older patients: a systematic overview – the SENATOR project ONTOP Series.Clin Interv Aging. 2017; 12: 721-740
- Physical frailty: ICFSR international clinical practice guidelines for identification and management.J Nutr Health Aging. 2019; 23: 771-787
- Benefits of physical exercise training on cognition and quality of life in frail older adults.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2012; 68: 400-404
- A multicomponent exercise intervention that reverse frailty and improves cognition, emotion and social networking in the community-dwelling frail elderly: a randomized clinical trial.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016; 17: 426-433
- Effectiveness of exercise interventions on physical function in community-dwelling frail older people: an umbrella review of systematic reviews.JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep. 2018; 16: 752-775
- Older people's perspectives on participation in physical activity: a systematic review and thematic synthesis of qualitative literature.Br J Sports Med. 2015; 49: 1268-1276
- Home exercise interventions in frail older adults.Curr Geriatr Rep. 2020; 9: 163-175
- Effects of 12-month home-based physiotherapy on duration of living at home and functional capacity among older persons with signs of frailty or with a recent hip fracture - protocol of a randomized controlled trial (HIPFRA study).BMC Geriatr. 2018; 18: 232
- Effects of home-based physical exercise on days at home and cost-effectiveness in pre-frail and frail persons – RCT.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22: 773-779
- A simple frailty questionnaire (FRAIL) predicts outcomes in middle-aged African Americans.J Nutr Health Aging. 2012; 16: 601-608
- The I.A.N.A Task Force on frailty assessment of older people in clinical practice.J Nutr Health Aging. 2008; 12: 29-37
- The reliability and predictive accuracy of the Falls Risk for Older People in the community assessment (FROP-Com) tool.Age Ageing. 2008; 37: 634-639
- A short physical performance battery assessing lower extremity function: association with self-reported disability and prediction of mortality and nursing home admission.J Gerontol. 1994; 49: 85-94
- Mini-mental state”. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician.J Psychiatr Res. 1975; 12: 189-198
- Advances in functional assessment for medical rehabilitation.Top Geriatr Rehabil. 1986; 1: 59-74
- Assessment of older people: self-maintaining and instrumental activities of daily living.Gerontologist. 1969; 9: 179-186
- Comparative validity of seven scoring systems for the instrumental activities of daily living scale in rural elders.Aging Ment Health. 2006; 10: 40-47
- A review of the measurement of grip strength in clinical and epidemiological studies: towards a standardised approach.Age Ageing. 2011; 40: 423-429
Helldán A, Helakorpi S. Health behaviour and health among the Finnish elderly, Spring 2013, with trends 1993-2013. National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL), Report 15/2014. Available at: http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-302-188-4. Accessed April 13, 2021.
- Practical implementation of an exercise-based falls prevention programme.Age Ageing. 2001; 30: 70-83
- Psychophysical bases of perceived exertion.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1982; 14: 377-381
Avers D, Brown M. White paper: strength training for the older adult. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2009;32:148-52, 158.
- Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple hypothesis testing.J R Stat Soc B. 1995; 57: 289-300
- Network-based geriatric rehabilitation for frail elderly people: feasibility and effects on subjective health and pain at one year.J Rehabil Med. 2007; 39: 473-478
- Effects of the Finnish Alzheimer disease exercise trial (FINALEX): a randomized controlled trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 894-901
- Short Physical Performance Battery and all-cause mortality: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Med. 2016; 14: 215
- What is meaningful change in physical performance? Findings from a clinical trial in older adults (the LIFE-P study).J Nutr Health Aging. 2009; 13: 538-544
- Meaningful change and responsiveness in common physical performance measures in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 54: 743-749
- Effect of structured physical activity on prevention of major mobility disability in older adults: the LIFE study randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2014; 311: 2387-2396
- Effects of multicomponent exercise on frailty in long-term nursing homes: a randomized controlled trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: 1145-1151
- Does the ‘Otago exercise programme’ reduce mortality and falls in older adults?: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Age Ageing. 2010; 39: 681-687
- Short-Physical Performance Battery (SPPB) score is associated with falls in older outpatients.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2019; 31: 1435-1442
- Home versus center based physical activity programs in older adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; 1CD004017
- Home-based resistance training for older adults: a systematic review.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2014; 14: 750-757
- Effects of supervised vs. unsupervised training programs on balance and muscle strength in older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Sports Med. 2017; 47: 2341-2361
- Exercise prescription to reverse frailty.Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2016; 41: 1112-1116
- Older persons with signs of frailty in a home-based physical exercise intervention: baseline characteristics of an RCT.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2019; 31: 1419-1427
- Optimizing the tracking of falls in studies of older participants: comparison of quarterly telephone recall with monthly falls calendars in the MOBILIZE Boston Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2010; 171: 1031-1036
- A comparison of direct versus self-report measures for assessing physical activity in adults: a systematic review.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2008; 5: 56
Presented as a poster to the International Association of Geriatrics and Gerontology-European Region Congress, May 25, 2019, Gothenburg, Sweden; presented to the European Geriatric Medicine Society, September 27, 2019, Krakow, Poland.
Supported by the South Karelia Social and Health Care District (Eksote; register no. 1236/00.01.05.01/2013), the Social Insurance Institution of Finland (SII; register no. 94/331/2013), and the Finland State Research Funding for Academic Health Research (Ministry of Social Affairs and Health). The funders played no role in the design, collection, analysis, or interpretation of the data, nor in writing the manuscript.
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT02305433.