Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:DIF (differential item functioning), M2PI (Mayo-Portland Adaptability Inventory Participation Index), MnSq (mean square), MPAI4 (Mayo-Portland Adaptability Inventory 4), PSR (person separation reliability), TBI (traumatic brain injury), VHA (Veterans Health Administration)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
World Health Organization. International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF). Available at: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/42407/9241545429_tha+eng.pdf. Accessed April 9, 2020.
Malec JF, Lezak MD. Manual for the Mayo-Portland Adaptability Inventory (MPAI-4) for adults, children and adolescents. Available at: http://www.tbims.org/combi/mpai/manual.pdf. Accessed April 16, 2020.
- Rasch measurement analysis of the Mayo-Portland Adaptability Inventory (MPAI-4) in a community-based rehabilitation sample.J Neurotrauma. 2011; 28: 745-753
- The Mayo-Portland Participation Index: a brief and psychometrically sound measure of brain injury outcome.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1989-1996
- Comparability of Mayo-Portland Adaptability Inventory ratings by staff, significant others and people with acquired brain injury.Brain Inj. 2004; 18: 563-575
- Clinician versus veteran ratings on the Mayo-Portland Participation Index in veterans with a history of mild traumatic brain injury.J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2015; 30: 38-46
- Utility of the Mayo-Portland Adaptability Inventory-4 for self-reported outcomes in a military sample with traumatic brain injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94: 2417-2424
- The utility of the Mayo-Portland Adaptability Inventory Participation Index (M2PI) in US military veterans with a history of mild traumatic brain injury.J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2019; 34: 30-35
- Measurement properties of the MPAI-4 in veterans with mTBI.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 101: 789-796
- Contextual facilitators and barriers of community reintegration among injured female military veterans: a qualitative study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 99: S65-S71
- Self-reported participation restrictions among veterans with traumatic brain injury in VA outpatient polytrauma programs.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 101: 2071-2079
- Applying the Rasch model.4th ed. Routledge, New York2021
- The Rasch model as a construct validation tool.Rasch Meas Trans. 2008; 11: 1145-1146
- Foundations of validity: meaning and consequences in psychological assessment.Educational Testing Service, Princeton1993
- Reasonable mean-square fit values.Rasch Meas Trans. 1994; 8: 370
- Using item mean squares to evaluate fit to the Rasch model.J Outcome Meas. 1998; 2: 66-78
Linacre JM. Simulated file specifications. Available at: https://www.winsteps.com/winman/simulated.htm. Accessed November 15, 2020.
Linacre JM. Help for WINSTEPS Rasch measurement and Rasch analysis software. Available at: https://www.winsteps.com/winman/principalcomponents.htm. Accessed September 23, 2020.
- Critical eigenvalue sizes (variances) in standardized residual principal components analysis (PCA).Rasch Meas Trans. 2005; 19: 1012
- Reliability and separation.Rasch Meas Trans. 1996; 9: 472
- Separation, reliability and skewed distributions: Statistically different levels of performance.Rasch Meas Trans. 2001; 14: 786
Linacre JM. A User's Guide to WINSTEPS & MINISTEP Rasch-model computer programs. Available at: https://www.winsteps.com/winman/. Accessed September 23, 2020.
- Time, money, or gender? Predictors of the division of household labour across life stages.Sex Roles. 2018; 78: 731-743
- Gender discrepancies related to pediatrician work-life balance and household responsibilities.Pediatrics. 2019; 144e20182926
- Time matters differently in leisure experience for men and women: leisure dedication and time perspective.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019; 16: 2513
- Measurement of participation: intersecting person, task, and environment.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: S29-S33
Departments of Veterans Affairs and Defense. VA/DoD clinical practice guideline for the management of concussion-mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI). Departments of Veterans Affairs and Defense. Available at: https://www.healthquality.va.gov/guidelines/Rehab/mtbi/mTBICPGFullCPG50821816.pdf. Accessed August 5, 2019.
- Deciphering participation: an interpretive synthesis of its meaning and application in rehabilitation.Disabil Rehabil. 2018; 40: 2692-2703
Current affiliation for Cogan, Center for the Study of Healthcare Innovation, Implementation, and Policy, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA.
Supported by a Polytrauma/TBI Fellowship through the VA Office of Academic Affiliations (Alison M. Cogan). There was no additional extramural funding for this project.