Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:IQR (interquartile range), OT (occupational therapist), RCT (randomized controlled trial), SCI (spinal cord injury), SEATS (Self-Efficacy on Assessing, Training, and Spotting Test for Manual Wheelchairs), WST-Q (Wheelchair Skills Test Questionnaire)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Wheelchair skills training program for clinicians: a randomized controlled trial with occupational therapy students.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1160-1167
- A wheelchair workshop for medical students improves knowledge and skills: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2011; 90: 197-206
- Manual wheelchair skills training for community-dwelling veterans with spinal cord injury: a randomized controlled trial.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0168330
- Wheelchair skills training program: a randomized clinical trial of wheelchair users undergoing initial rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 41-50
- Effectiveness of a wheelchair skills training programme for community-living users of manual wheelchairs in Turkey: a randomized controlled trial.Clin Rehabil. 2011; 25: 416-424
- Efficacy and retention of the French-Canadian version of the Wheelchair Skills Training Program for manual wheelchair users: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 940-948
- Effectiveness of group wheelchair skills training for people with spinal cord injury: a randomized controlled trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97 (e1773): 1777-1784
- Effectiveness of the Wheelchair Skills Training Program: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2019; 14: 391-409
- Effectiveness and safety of wheelchair skills training program in improving the wheelchair skills capacity: a systematic review.Clin Rehabil. 2017; 31: 1573-1582
- A description of manual wheelchair skills training: current practices in Canadian rehabilitation centers.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2015; 10: 393-400
- Wheelchair skills training for occupational therapy students: comparison of university-course versus “boot-camp” approaches.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2019; 14: 595-601
- Teaching psychomotor skills online: exploring the implications of novel coronavirus on health professions education.Rural Remote Health. 2020; 20: 6132
- Comparing the effectiveness of a hybrid and in-person courses of wheelchair service provision knowledge: a controlled quasi-experimental study in India and Mexico.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0217872
- Using remote learning to teach clinicians manual wheelchair skills: a cohort study with pre- vs post-training comparisons.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2020; : 1-8
Kirby RL, Rushton PW, Smith C, et al. Wheelchair Skills Program Manual Version 5.1. Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada: Dalhousie University; 2020. Available at: https://www.wheelchairskillsprogram.ca/eng/manual.php. Accessed August 1, 2020.
- 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences.Behav Res Methods. 2007; 39: 175-191
- A condensed wheelchair skills training “bootcamp” improves students’ self-efficacy for assessing, training, spotting, and documenting manual and power wheelchair skills.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2019; 15: 1-3
- Reliability and responsiveness of the Self-Efficacy in Assessing, Training and Spotting wheelchair skills (SEATS) outcome measure.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2019; 14: 250-254
- Final year students’ knowledge on basic manual wheelchair provision: the state of occupational therapy programs in Colombia.Occup Ther Int. 2020; 20203025456
Wheelchair Skills Program. Impact and publications. Available at: https://wheelchairskillsprogram.ca/en/publications-impact/. Accessed August 19, 2020.
- Improvement and retention of wheelchair skills training for students in entry-level occupational therapy education.Am J Occup Ther. 2021; 75 (7501205160p1-p9)
- Efficacy of a remote train-the-trainer model for wheelchair skills training administered by clinicians: a cohort study with pre- vs. post-training comparisons.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2021 Jun 3. [Epub ahead of print];
- A description of manual wheelchair skills training curriculum in entry-to-practice occupational and physical therapy programs in Canada.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2015; 10: 401-406
Supported by the Administration for Community Living (ACL) National Institute on Disability, Independent Living and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR) (grant no. 90DP0025) and the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) (grant no. K23HD096134).
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT03499951.