Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:NSCID (National Spinal Cord Injury Database), SCI (spinal cord injury)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Research2Guidance. mHealth economics 2017–current status and future trends in mobile health. Available at:https://research2guidance.com/product/mhealth-economics-2017-current-status-and-future-trends-in-mobile-health/. Accessed June 3, 2020.
- Why are health care interventions delivered over the internet? A systematic review of the published literature.J Med Internet Res. 2006; 8: e10
- A research on the classification and applicability of the mobile health applications.J Pers Med. 2020; 10: 11
- Mobile devices and apps for health care professionals: uses and benefits.P T. 2014; 39: 356-364
- Validation of home telehealth for pressure ulcer assessment: a study in patients with spinal cord injury.J Telemed Telecare. 2009; 15: 196-202
- Development of a comprehensive mobile assessment of pressure (CMAP) system for pressure injury prevention for veterans with spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2019; 42: 685-694
- Patients’ perspectives on the usability of a mobile app for self-management following spinal cord injury.J Med Syst. 2019; 44: 26
- Effectiveness of home exercise on pain, function, and strength of manual wheelchair users with spinal cord injury: a high-dose shoulder program with telerehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95 (1810-7.e2)
- The effect of the interactive mobile health and rehabilitation system on health and psychosocial outcomes in spinal cord injury: randomized controlled trial.J Med Internet Res. 2019; 21: e14305
- Guided internet-delivered cognitive-behaviour therapy for persons with spinal cord injury: a feasibility trial.Spinal Cord. 2020; 58: 544-552
- Investigating the efficacy of web-based transfer training on independent wheelchair transfers through randomized controlled trials.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 99 (9-16.e10)
- Intra- and inter-rater reliability of remote assessment of transfers by wheelchair users using the transfer assessment instrument (version 4.0).Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2021 Mar 10; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Rahimi-Movaghar V. Home-based rehabilitation programs: promising field to maximize function of patients with traumatic spinal cord injury.Asian J Neurosurg. 2019; 14: 634-640
- Promoting exercise in wheelchairs through wireless sensing and computing in a mobile app.in: Benavente-Pecas C Cam-Winget N Fleury E Ahrens A Sensor networks. Springer, Cham, Switzerland2018: 118-134
- Telehealth delivery of remote assessment of wheelchair and seating needs for adults and children: a scoping review.Disabil Rehabil. 2019; 42: 3538-3548
- Use of virtual technology as an intervention for wheelchair skills training: a systematic review.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 99: 2313-2341
- Development of a wheelchair skills home program for older adults using a participatory action design approach.Biomed Res Int. 2014; 2014172434
- Identifying and understanding the health information experiences and preferences of individuals with TBI, SCI, and burn injuries.J Patient Exp. 2016; 3: 88-95
- Health information seeking and technology use among veterans with spinal cord injuries and disorders.PM R. 2016; 8: 123-130
- Information needs of people with spinal cord injuries.J Spinal Cord Med. 2009; 32: 545-554
- Computer and internet use by persons after traumatic spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 1492-1498
- Associations between insurance provider and assistive technology use for computer and electronic devices 1 year after tetraplegia: findings from the spinal cord injury model systems national database.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2019; 100: 2260-2266
- Computer and internet use among people with long-standing spinal cord injury: a cross-sectional survey in the Netherlands.Spinal Cord. 2019; 57: 396-403
- Spinal cord injury model systems: review of program and national database from 1970 to 2015.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1797-1804
- Trust and sources of health information: the impact of the internet and its implications for health care providers: findings from the first Health Information National Trends Survey.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 2618-2624
- Tracking healthy people 2020 internet, broadband, and mobile device access goals: an update using data from the health information national trends survey.J Med Internet Res. 2019; 21: e13300
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. NCHS urban-rural classification scheme for counties. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data_access/urban_rural.htm. Accessed July 7, 2019.
- 2013 NCHS urban–rural classification scheme for counties.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Hyattsville2014
Statistica Research Department. Mobile internet user penetration 2015 to 2025. Available at: https://www.statista.com/statistics/275587/mobile-phone-internet-user-penetration-us/. Accessed December 3, 2020.
Pew Research Center. Internet/broadband fact sheet. Available at: https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/fact-sheet/internet-broadband/. Accessed June 11, 2020.
- Global diffusion of e-health - making universal health coverage achievable: report of the third global survey on e-health.World Health Organization, Geneva2017 (Report no. 978-92-4-151178-0)
Federal Communications Commission. 2020 broadband deployment report. Available at: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-20-50A1.pdf. Accessed December 3, 2020.
Pew Research Center. Mobile fact sheet. Available at: https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/fact-sheet/mobile/. Accessed June 11, 2020.
- Digital information technology use and patient preferences for internet-based health education modalities: cross-sectional survey study of middle-aged and older adults with chronic health conditions.JMIR Aging. 2019; 2: e12243
- Mobile health applications to promote active and healthy ageing.Sensors (Basel). 2017; 17: 622
- The digital health revolution and people with disabilities: perspective from the United States.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17: 381
- Digital technology to enable aging in place.Exp Gerontol. 2017; 88: 25-31
Task Force on Research and Development for Technology to Support Aging Adults, Committee on Techology of the National Science and Technology Council. Emerging technologies to support an aging population. Available at:https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Emerging-Tech-to-Support-Aging-2019.pdf. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Patterns of Internet use by persons with spinal cord injuries and relationship to health-related quality of life.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1872-1879
- Digital divide among people with disabilities: analysis of data from a nationwide study for determinants of Internet use and activities performed online.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0179825
Consumer Expert Group. Consumer Expert Group report into the use of the Internet by disabled people: barriers and solutions. 2009. Available at:https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http:/www.culture.gov.uk/images/publications/CEGreport-internet-and-disabled-access2009.pdf. Accessed Jue 10, 2020.
- Toward a multifaceted model of internet access for understanding digital divides: an empirical investigation.Inf Soc. 2015; 31: 379-391
- The broadband digital divide and the benefits of mobile broadband for minorities.J Econ Inequal. 2015; 13: 373-400
- Disability in the digital age: reconfiguring access, inclusion and equality. [dissertation]. Queen's University (Canada).2016
- Differences in rural and urban health information access and use.J Rural Health. 2019; 35: 405-417
- Rural-urban differences in general and health-related internet use.Am Behav Sci. 2010; 53: 1304-1325
- Lack of access to specialists associated with mortality and preventable hospitalizations of rural medicare beneficiaries.Health Aff (Millwood). 2019; 38: 1993-2002
- Gender and attitudes toward technology use: a meta-analysis.Comput Educ. 2017; 105: 1-13
- Facts and figures at a glance.University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham2020
- Representativeness of the spinal cord injury model systems national database.Spinal Cord. 2018; 56: 126-132
Presented as a platform presentation to the Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals, September 2020, virtual.
Supported by the Paralyzed Veterans of America Research Foundation and National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR grant nos. 90SI5014, 90DP0078). NIDILRR is a Center within the Administration for Community Living (ACL), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The contents of this article do not necessarily represent the policy of NIDILRR, ACL, or HHS, and you should not assume endorsement by the Federal Government.