List of abbreviations:ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission), DTC (direct-to-consumer)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Online information about the effectiveness of shoulder surgery is not based on the best available evidence: a content analysis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2021 Jun 12; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Online direct-to-consumer advertising of stem cell therapy for musculoskeletal injury and disease: misinformation and violation of ethical and legal advertising parameters.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2020; 102: 2-9
- A qualitative study assessing information on the internet compared with AAOS guidelines for the treatment of distal radius fractures.Orthopedics. 2020; 43: e79-e86
- Direct-to-consumer advertising for robotic surgery.J Robot Surg. 2020; 14: 17-20
- Internet promotion of direct anterior approach total hip arthroplasty by members of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons.J Arthroplasty. 2018; 33: 167-170
- What are the public health effects of direct-to-consumer drug advertising?.PLoS Med. 2006; 3: e145
World Health Organization. Direct-to-consumer advertising under fire. Available at: https://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/87/8/09-040809/en/. Accessed April 23, 2021.
- Medical marketing in the United States, 1997-2016.JAMA. 2019; 321: 80-96
- All I have learned, I have learned from Google: why today's facial rejuvenation patients are prone to misinformation, and the steps we can take to contend with unreliable information.Facial Plast Surg. 2019; 35: 387-392
- The effect of orthopedic advertising and self-promotion on a naïve population.Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2016; 45: E227-E232
- Googling musculoskeletal-related pain and ranking of medical associations’ patient information pages: Google ads keyword planner analysis.J Med Internet Res. 2020; 22: e18684
- Physician-review websites in orthopaedic surgery.JBJS Rev. 2020; 8: e0158
- Qualitative content analysis in practice.Sage, Thousand Oaks2012
- Content analysis: method, applications and issues.Health Care Women Int. 1992; 13: 313-321
- The qualitative content analysis process.J Adv Nurs. 2008; 62: 107-115
- Subacromial decompression surgery for rotator cuff disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 1CD005619
- Surgery for rotator cuff tears.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 12CD013502
- Analysis of internet information on lateral lumbar interbody fusion.Orthopedics. 2016; 39: e701-e707
Federal Trade Commission. Online advertising and marketing. Available at: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/advertising-and-marketing/online-advertising-and-marketing. Accessed: April 23, 2021.
Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. About the ACCC. Available at: https://www.accc.gov.au/about-us/australian-competition-consumer-commission/about-the-accc. Accessed April 23, 2021.
Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. Advertising and selling guide. Available at: https://www.accc.gov.au/accc-book/printer-friendly/29527. Accessed April 23, 2021.
- Systematic reviews and meta-analyses.J Can Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2011; 20: 57-59
- Evidence and health policy: using and regulating systematic reviews.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 88-92
- Effectiveness versus efficacy: more than a debate over language.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2003; 33: 163-165
- The statistical crisis in science.Am Sci. 2004; 102: 460-465
- Five good reasons to be disappointed with randomized trials.J Man Manip Ther. 2019; 27: 63-65
- The limitations of using randomised controlled trials as a basis for developing treatment guidelines.Evid Based Ment Health. 2018; 21: 4-6
- The natural course of nonoperatively treated rotator cuff tears: an 8.8-year follow-up of tear anatomy and clinical outcome in 49 patients.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2017; 26: 627-634
- Tear progression of symptomatic full-thickness and partial-thickness rotator cuff tears as measured by repeated MRI.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2017; 25: 2073-2080
- At a 10-year follow-up, tendon repair is superior to physiotherapy in the treatment of small and medium-sized rotator cuff tears.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019; 101: 1050-1060
- Conservative versus surgical management for patients with rotator cuff tears: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2021; 22: 50
- Conservative management vs. surgical repair in degenerative rotator cuff tears: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2021; 25: 609-619
Disclosures: Oke Anakwenze is a consultant for Lima Orthopedics, Exactech, Wright Medical, and DJO, but this does not influence his thoughts associated with this commentary. Chad E. Cook receives honoraria from books sales and educational videos and is a consultant for Revenite and the Hawkins Foundation, but this does not influence his thoughts associated with this commentary.