- •Rigorous guidelines strongly support 6 treatments for CTS.
- •Fifteen of 48 conservative treatments for CTS were conditionally supported.
- •Pharmaceuticals/supplements and alternative treatments were not supported for CTS.
- •Information on effective dosages and concomitant treatments in CTS care is limited.
List of abbreviations:CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome), IOM (Institute of Medicine), NEATS (National Guideline Clearinghouse Extent of Adherence to Trustworthy Standards)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Social and economic costs of carpal tunnel surgery.Instr Course Lect. 1995; 44: 167-172
- Activity limitations before and after surgical carpal tunnel release among patients with and without diabetes.J Rehabil Med. 2012; 44: 261-267
- Is surgical intervention more effective than non-surgical treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome? A systematic review.J Orthop Surg Res. 2011; 6: 17
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Management of carpal tunnel syndrome evidence-based clinical practice guideline. Available at: https://www.aaos.org/globalassets/quality-and-practice-resources/carpal-tunnel/cts_cpg_4-25-19.pdf. Accessed June 7, 2021.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: hand surgeons, hand therapists, and physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians agree on a multidisciplinary treatment guideline-results from the European HANDGUIDE Study.Arch Phy Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 2253-2263
- What types of treatment are provided for patients with carpal tunnel syndrome? A retrospective analysis of commercial insurance.PM R. 2018; 10: 826-835
American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. Hand, wrist, and forearm disorders guideline. Available at:https://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/MTUS/ACOEM-Guidelines/Hand-Wrist-and-Forearm-Disorders-Guideline.pdf. Accessed June 7, 2021.
- Occupational therapy parctice guidelines for adults with musculoskeletal conditions.AOTA Press, Bethesda2017
- Clinical practice guidelines we can trust.National Academies Press, Washington (DC)2011
- Hand pain and sensory deficits: carpal tunnel syndrome.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2019; 49 (cpg1-85)
Royal College of Surgeons of England. Commissioning guide: treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome. Available at: https://mskhub.org.uk/commissioning-guide-treatment-carpal-tunnel/. Accessed May, 26, 2020.
- Developing and testing the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality's National Guideline Clearinghouse Extent of Adherence to Trustworthy Standards (NEATS) instrument.Ann Int Med. 2019; 170: 480
Schunemann HJ, Brozek J, Guyatt G. GRADE handbook. Available at: https://med.mahidol.ac.th/ceb/sites/default/files/public/pdf/journal_club/2017/GRADE%20handbook.pdf. Accessed May 21, 2020.
- Corticosteroid iontophoresis to treat carpal tunnel syndrome: a double-blind randomized controlled trial.Muscle Nerve. 2009; 39: 627-633
- Biomechanical models for the pathogenesis of specific distal upper extremity disorders.Amer J Ind Med. 2002; 41: 353-369