Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:ATP (Assistive Technology Professional), CI (confidence interval), CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services), FMA (Functional Mobility Assessment), MAE (mobility assistive equipment), MWC (manual wheelchair), OR (odds ratio), PWC (power wheelchair), RESNA (Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America), UDS (Uniform Data Set)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
US Census Bureau. Americans with disabilities: 2010. Available at:https://www2.census.gov/library/publications/2012/demo/p70-131.pdf. Accessed October 30, 2020.
World Health Organization. Disability and health. Available at:https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/disability-and-health. Accessed October 30, 2020.
Medical Rights Center. Replacing DME. Available at:https://www.medicareinteractive.org/get-answers/medicare-covered-services/durable-medical-equipment-dme/replacing-dme. Accessed October 21, 2020.
- Why people use and don't use technologies: introduction to the special issue on assistive technologies for cognition/cognitive support technologies.Neurorehabilitation. 2015; 37: 315-319
- Predictors of assistive technology abandonment.Assist Technol. 1993; 5: 36-45
- Factors associated with assistive technology discontinuance among individuals with disabilities.J Rehabil. 2000; 66: 44-50
- Toward the development of consumer-based criteria for the evaluation of assistive MAEs.J Rehabil Res Dev. 1990; 27: 425-436
Arledge S, Armstrong W, Babinec M, et al. RESNA wheelchair service provision guide. Available at:https://www.resna.org/Resources/Position-Papers-and-Service-Provision-Guidelines. Accessed October 30, 2020.
- Test-retest reliability of the functional mobility assessment (FMA): a pilot study.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2013; 8: 213-219
- Development and implementation of a wheelchair outcomes registry.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2019; 100: 1779-1781
Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America. Assistive Technology Professional (ATP): candidate information bulletin. Available at:https://www.resna.org/Certification/Assistive-Technology-Professional-ATP. Accessed October 30, 2020.
Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America. Standards of practice. Available at:https://www.resna.org/Certification/Ethics-andStandards-of-Practice/Standards-of-Practice. Accessed October 21, 2020.
- The promise of assistive technology to enhance activity and work participation.The National Academic Press, Washington (DC)2017
- Data-mining analysis of the provision of mobility devices in the United States with emphasis on complex rehab technology.Assist Technol. 2018; 31: 141-146
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Local coverage determination (LCD): power mobility devices (L33789). Available at:https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Monitoring-Programs/Medicare-FFS-Compliance-Programs/DMEPOS/Downloads/Coverage-for-PMDs.pdf. Accessed February 15, 2021.
- Establishing clinical limits of use for wheeled mobility devices.Human Engineering Research Laboratories and VA National Center for Patient Safety, August 23, 2017 (Version 1. Available at:)Accessed February 16, 2021)
- Election mail.USPS, August 28, 2020 (Available at:)Accessed October 8, 2020)
- Increases in wheelchair breakdowns, repairs, and adverse consequences for people with traumatic spinal cord injury.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 91: 463-469
- Type and frequency of reported wheelchair repairs and related adverse consequences among people with spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1753-1760
- Wheelchair breakdowns are associated with pain, pressure injuries, rehospitalization, and self-perceived health in full-time wheelchair users with spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 99: 1949-1956
- Type and frequency of wheelchair repairs and resulting adverse consequences among veteran wheelchair users.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2020 Aug 7; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Health, personal, and environmental predictors of wheelchair-use confidence in adult wheelchair users.Phys Ther. 2015; 95: 1365-1373
- Demographic trends in wheeled mobility equipment use and accessibility in the community.Assist Technol. 2010; 22: 2-17
- Demographic and socioeconomic factors associated with disparity in wheelchair customizability among people with traumatic spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004; 85: 1859-1864
- Factors predictive of type of powered mobility received by veterans with disability.Med Sci Monit. 2015; 21: 1324-1332
- Matching Person and Technology (MPT) assessment process.Technol Disabil. 2002; 14: 125-131
- Statewide hospital discharge data: collection, use, limitations, and improvements.Health Serv Res. 2015; 50: 1273-1299
- Spinal Cord Injury Model Systems: review of program and national database from 1970 to 2015.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1797-1804
Supported by a grant from the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR, grant no. 90DPGE0014-01-00). NIDILRR is a Center within the Administration for Community Living (ACL), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The contents of this publication do not necessarily represent the policy of NIDILRR, ACL, or HHS, and you should not assume endorsement by the Federal Government. In addition, the data analyzed was from a Corporate Research Agreement (award no. SRA00000765) between the University of Pittsburgh and Van G. Miller (VGM) & Associates.
Disclosures: The authors alone are responsible for the content and writing of this article. Mark R. Schmeler receives a royalty for the license of the Functional Mobility Assessment (FMA) through the University of Pittsburgh Office of Innovation. The other authors have nothing to disclose.