List of abbreviations:APP (advanced practice provider), BPCI (Bundled Payments for Care Improvement), BPCI-A (Bundled Payments for Care Improvement Advanced), CMMI (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation), CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services), COMPASS (COMprehensive Post-Acute Stroke Services), IRF (inpatient rehabilitation facility), SNF (skilled nursing facility), TC (transitional care), TIA (transient ischemic attack)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Post-stroke rehabilitation fact sheet. Available at:https://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/patient-caregiver-education/fact-sheets/post-stroke-rehabilitation-fact-sheet. Accessed March 10, 2020.
- Bundled payment and care of acute stroke: what does it take to make it work?.Stroke. 2015; 46: 1414-1421
- Medicare's bundled payment pilot for acute and postacute care: analysis and recommendations on where to begin.Health Aff (Millwood). 2011; 30: 1708-1717
- The impact of bundled payment on health care spending, utilization, and quality: a systematic review.Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39: 50-57
The Lewin Group, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. CMS Bundled Payments for Care Improvement Initiative: models 2-4 year 6 evaluation and monitoring annual report. Available at: https://innovation.cms.gov/innovation-models/bundled-payments. Accessed June 24, 2020.
- Contemporary trends and predictors of postacute service use and routine discharge home after stroke.J Am Heart Assoc. 2015; 4e001038
- Randomized pragmatic trial of stroke transitional care: the COMPASS study.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2020; 13e006285
- First do no harm: an opinion on bundled care for stroke patients.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2019; 100: 578-580
- Episode-based payment for ischemic stroke care with implications for neurologists.Neurol Clin Pract. 2014; 4: 231-238
- Will bundled payments change health care? Examining the evidence thus far in cardiovascular care.Circulation. 2015; 131: 2151-2158
- Association between hospital participation in a Medicare bundled payment initiative and payments and quality outcomes for lower extremity joint replacement episodes.JAMA. 2016; 316: 1267-1278
Darves B. Collaboration key to post-stroke follow-up. Available at:https://acpinternist.org/archives/2009/10/stroke.htm. Accessed April 6, 2020.
- Community use of physical and occupational therapy after stroke and risk of hospital readmission.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 99 (26-34.e5)
- Meeting Medicare requirements for transitional care: do stroke care and policy align?.Neurology. 2019; 92: 427-434
- Scaling up: bringing the transitional care model into the mainstream.Issue Brief (Commonw Fund). 2010; 103: 1-12
Reforming how we pay for health care: the role of bundled payments. Health Aff. Available at:https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20121213.026276/full/. Accessed November 24, 2019.
Burton R. Health Policy Brief: Improving care transitions. September 13, 2012. Available at: Available at:https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hpb20120913.327236/full/. Accessed November 18, 2019.
- Stroke Impact Scale-16: a brief assessment of physical function.Neurology. 2003; 60: 291-296
- A person-centered approach to poststroke care: the COMprehensive Post-Acute Stroke Services Model.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2018; 66: 1025-1030
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Bundled Payments for Care Improvement (BPCI) Initiative: public toolkit. 2018. Available at: https://innovation.cms.gov/Files/x/bpci-toolkit.pdf. Accessed July 30, 2019.
- Healthcare utilization and cost trajectories post-stroke: role of caregiver and stroke factors.BMC Health Serv Res. 2018; 18: 881
- Implementation of a billable transitional care model for stroke patients: the COMPASS study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2019; 19: 978
- What can be achieved by redesigning stroke care for a value-based world?.Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2014; 14: 585-587
The Lewin Group, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. CMS Bundled Payments for Care Improvement Initiative: models 2-4 year 5 evaluation and monitoring annual report. Available at: https://downloads.cms.gov/files/cmmi/bpci-models2-4-yr5evalrpt.pdf. Accessed June 10, 2019.
- Medicare's new bundled payments: design, strategy, and evolution.JAMA. 2016; 315: 131-132
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Quality measures fact sheet. Available at: https://innovation.cms.gov/media/document/bpci-advanced-my4-all-fact-sheets-sept2020. Accessed December 1, 2020.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. BPCI Advanced. Available at: https://innovation.cms.gov/innovation-models/bpci-advanced. Accessed August 23, 2019.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Bundled payments for care improvement (BPCI) initiative: general information. Available at: https://innovation.cms.gov/innovation-models/bundled-payments. Accessed August 23, 2019.
The Lewin Group, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. CMS bundled payments for care improvement initiative models 2-4: Year 5 evaluation & monitoring annual report ‒ appendices. Available at: https://downloads.cms.gov/files/cmmi/bpci-models2-4-yr5evalrpt-app.pdf. Accessed June 10, 2019.
Supported by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (grant no. AHRQ R01 HS025723 ).
Disclosures: Pamela W. Duncan and Cheryl D. Bushnell have ownership in Care Directions, LLC. Beyond the conflict of interest listed above, the other authors have no conflicts of interest to state.