- •New application of chest wall vibration with concurrent aerobic training in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- •Functional capacity may improve in patients with COPD after chest wall vibration.
- •Chest wall vibration does not relieve dyspnea in patients with COPD.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:BID (Barthel Index based on dyspnea), BODE (body mass index, airflow obstruction, dyspnea, and exercise capacity), CG (control group), COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), FEV1 (forced expiratory volume in 1 second), FVC (forced vital capacity), ITT (intention-to-treat), MCID (minimal clinically important difference), MEP (maximal expiratory pressure), MIP (maximal inspiratory pressure), 6MWD (6-minute walk distance), SGRQ (St George's Respiratory Questionnaire)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management and prevention of chronic obstructive lung disease 2017 report: GOLD executive summary.Respirology. 2017; 22: 575-601
- Systemic effects of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2005; 2: 367-370
- An official American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society statement: key concepts and advances in pulmonary rehabilitation.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 188: e13-e64
- The use of vibration as an exercise intervention.Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2003; 31: 3-7
- Effect of vibration on force sensation in fatigued muscle.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1986; 18: 516-521
- Vibratory stimulation for the alleviation of chronic pain.Acta Physiol Scand Suppl. 1983; 523: 1-51
- Mechanical vibration and conventional chest physiotherapy in outpatients with stable chronic obstructive lung disease.Chest. 1985; 87: 483-485
- Effect of chest wall vibration on breathlessness in normal subjects.J Appl Physiol (1985). 1991; 71: 175-181
- Effect of chest wall vibration on dyspnea in patients with chronic respiratory disease.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1994; 149: 1235-1240
- Airway clearance in COPD: need for a breath of fresh air? A systematic review.COPD J Chronic Obstr Pulm Dis. 2011; 8: 196-205
- Is there a role for airway clearance techniques in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease?.Chron Respir Dis. 2006; 3: 83-91
- Airway clearance techniques for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 3CD008328
- Effect of chest wall vibration on dyspnea during exercise in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2002; 130: 305-316
- Effect of chest wall vibration on dyspnea during hypercapnia and exercise in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1997; 155: 1552-1559
- Blinding in rehabilitation research: empirical evidence on the association between blinding and treatment effect estimates.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 99: 198-209
- Relationship between field walking tests and incremental cycle ergometry in COPD.Respirology. 2008; 13: 856-862
- Intensity of training and physiologic adaptation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1997; 155: 555-561
- Some physical properties of muscle vibrators used to elicit tonic proprioceptive reflexes in man.Acta Soc Med Ups. 1971; 76: 271-280
- An official European Respiratory Society/American Thoracic Society technical standard: field walking tests in chronic respiratory disease.Eur Respir J. 2014; 44: 1428-1446
- Development of a Barthel Index based on dyspnea for patients with respiratory diseases.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2016; 11: 1199-1206
- ATS/ERS statement on respiratory muscle testing.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 166: 518-624
- The St George's Respiratory Questionnaire.Respir Med. 1991; 85: 25-31
- The body-mass index, airflow obstruction, dyspnea, and exercise capacity index in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 1005-1012
- Whole-body vibration improves functional capacity and quality of life in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): a pilot study.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2015; : 125-132
- Quantitative methods in psychology.Psychol Bull. 1992; 112: 155-159
- G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences.Behav Res Methods. 2007; 39: 175-191
- Use of exercise testing in the evaluation of interventional efficacy: an official ERS statement.Eur Respir J. 2016; 47: 429-460
- Mechanical chest-wallvibration does not relieve air hunger.Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2003; 134: 177-190
- Mechanisms of activity-related dyspnea in pulmonary diseases.Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2009; 167: 116-132
- Inspiratory high frequency airway oscillation attenuates resistive loaded dyspnea and modulates respiratory function in young healthy individuals.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e91291
- In-phase chest wall vibration decreases dyspnea during arm elevation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients.Intern Med. 1998; 37: 831-835
- Dyspnea and leg effort during incremental cycle ergometry.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1992; 145: 1339-1345
- The impact of exercise training intensity on change in physiological function in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Sports Med. 2006; 36: 307-325
- Effectiveness of low-intensity aquatic exercise on COPD: a randomized clinical trial.Respir Med. 2012; 106: 1535-1543
- Home-based neuromuscular electrical stimulation as an add-on to pulmonary rehabilitation does not provide further benefits in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a multicenter randomized trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018; 99: 1462-1470
- Predictors of change in exercise capacity after comprehensive COPD inpatient rehabilitation.Med Sci Monit. 2002; 8 (CR740-5)
- Predictors of success and failure in pulmonary rehabilitation.Eur Respir J. 2006; 27: 788-794
- Impact of inspiratory muscle training in patients with COPD: what is the evidence?.Eur Respir J. 2011; 37: 416-425
- Effects of combined inspiratory muscle and cycle ergometer training on exercise performance in patients with COPD.Eur Respir J. 1994; 7: 2205-2211
- Factors associated with the minimal clinically important difference for health-related quality of life after physical conditioning in patients with COPD.J Bras Pneumol. 2009; 35: 846-853
- Pulmonary rehabilitation and the BODE index in COPD.Eur Respir J. 2005; 26: 630-636
- Differences in content and organisational aspects of pulmonary rehabilitation programmes.Eur Respir J. 2014; 43: 1326-1337
Presented as an abstract to the European Respiratory Society (ERS), September 6–9, 2020, virtual, in session “Respiratory viruses in the ‘pre COVID-19 era’ (Eur Respir J 2020;56[Suppl 64]:1259).
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT03644888.