- •Xbox Kinect and task-oriented training improved hand function, activity performance, range of motion of fingers, grip strength, and pinch strengths as compared with traditional hand rehabilitation in pediatric hand burns.
- •Xbox Kinect is superior to task-oriented training in improvement of hand function, palmer pinch strength and activity satisfaction.
- •Xbox Kinect and task-oriented training may be an effective rehabilitation for pediatric hand burns.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:ADL (activities of daily living), COPM (Canadian Occupational Performance Measure), DHI (Duruoz Hand Index), JTHFT (Jebsen-Taylor Hand Function Test), PHB (pediatric hand burns), ROM (range of motion), TOT (task-oriented training), TR (traditional rehabilitation), VR (virtual reality)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Hand burns.J Burns Care Res. 2007; 28: 607-610
- Neglected post burns contracture of hand in children: analysis of contributory socio-cultural factors and the impact of neglect on outcome.J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2014; 5: 215-220
- Pediatric hand burns: thermal, electrical, chemical.J Craniofac Surg. 2009; 20: 1045-1048
- Quality-of-life and outcome predictors following massive burn injury.Plast Reconstruct Surg. 2005; 116: 791-797
- Impact of hand burns on health-related quality of life in children younger than 5 years.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73: S197-S204
- Post burn contractures of the hand.J Hand Surg Am. 2014; 39: 1869-1876
- Acute hand burns in children: management and long-term outcome based on a 10-year experience with 698 injured hands.Ann Surg. 1999; 229: 558-564
- Management of pediatric hand burns.Pediatr Surg Int. 2015; 31: 397401
- Effects of interactive robot-enhanced hand rehabilitation in treatment of paediatric hand-burns: a randomized, controlled trial with 3-months follow-up.Burns. 2020; 46: 1347-1355
- Influences of purposeful activity versus rote exercise on improving pain and hand function in pediatric burn.Burns. 2012; 38: 2618
- Treatment of fourth-degree hand burns.J Burn Care Rehabil. 1995; 16: 36-42
- Motor rehabilitation using Kinect: a systematic review.Games Health J. 2015; 4: 123-135
- A smart virtual glove for the hand telerehabilitation.Comput Biol Med. 2007; 37: 1100-1107
- Patients' experiences with technology during inpatient rehabilitation: opportunities to support independence and therapeutic engagement.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2014; 9: 121-127
- Xbox Kinect™ based rehabilitation as a feasible adjunct for minor upper limb burns rehabilitation: a pilot RCT.Burns. 2016; 42: 1797-1804
- The use of Xbox KinectTM in a pediatric burns unit.South Afr J Physiother. 2018; 74: a429
- Effects of training using videogames on the muscle strength, muscle tone, and activities of daily living of chronic stroke patients.J Phys Ther Sci. 2013; 25: 595-597
- A Kinect-based upper limb rehabilitation system to assist people with cerebral palsy.Res Dev Disabil. 2013; 34: 3654-3659
- Effects of video games–based task-oriented activity training (Xbox 360 Kinect) on activity performance and participation in patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis a randomized clinical trial.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2019; 98: 174-181
- A novel approach to upper limb task specific training in children with hemiparesis.Int J Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 2: 6
- Effects of occupational therapy task-oriented approach in upper extremity post-stroke rehabilitation.Occup Ther Int. 2016; 23: 444-456
- Task-oriented training with computer gaming in people with rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis of the hand: study protocol of a randomized controlled pilot trial.Trials. 2013; 14: 69
- A novel technology approach to pain management in children with burns: a prospective randomized controlled trial.Burns. 2011; 37: 395-405
- A pilot prospective randomized control trial comparing exercises using videogame therapy to standard physical therapy: 6 months follow-up.J Burns Care Res. 2015; 36: 534-544
- Rehabilitation of the burned hand.Hand Clin. 2009; 25: 529-541
- An objective and standardized test of hand function.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1969; 50: 311-319
- Hand function: a practical guide to assessment.Springer, New York2014: 55-62
- Validity of the Canadian Occupational Performance Measure: a client-centered outcome measurement.Clin Rehabil. 2004; 18: 660-667
- Responsiveness of the Canadian occupational performance measure.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2011; 48: 517-528
- The hand: anatomy, examination, and diagnosis.Wolters Kluwer Health | Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2012
Adams L, Greene L, Topoozian E. Range of motion. In: American Society of Hand Therapists, ed. Clinical assessment recommendations. 1992. p 55-70, Philadelphia, PA: American Society of Hand Therapists.
- Reliability of pinch strength testing in elderly subjects with unilateral thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis.J Phys Ther Sci. 2014; 26: 993-995
- Relationship between hand-grip isometric strength and isokinetic moment data of the shoulder stabilisers.J Bodyw Move Ther. 2010; 14: 19-26
- Myofascial force transmission: muscle relative position and length determine agonist and synergist muscle force.J Appl Physiol. 2003; 94: 1092-1107
- Effects of shoulder girdle dynamic stabilization exercise on hand muscle strength.Isokinet Exerc Sci. 2015; 23: 21-32
- Effectiveness of virtual reality in the treatment of hand function in children with cerebral palsy: a systematic review.J Hand Ther. 2019; 32: 426-434.e1
- Effects of virtual reality-based rehabilitation on burned hands: a prospective, randomized, single-blind study.J Clin Med. 2020; 9: 731
- Children with burn injuries: purposeful activities versus rote exercise.Am J Occup Ther. 2001; 54: 381-390
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT04497103.