To investigate the short-term effects of dry needling (DN) on physical function, pain, and hip muscle strength in patients with hip osteoarthritis (OA).
A double-blind, placebo-control, randomized controlled trial.
Private practice physiotherapy clinic.
Patients with unilateral hip OA (N=45) were randomly allocated to a DN group, sham DN group, or control group.
Patients in the DN and sham groups received 3 treatment sessions. Three active myofascial trigger points (MTrPs) were treated in each session with DN or a sham needle procedure. The treatment was applied in active MTrPs of the iliopsoas, rectus femoris, tensor fasciae latae, and gluteus minimus muscles.
Main Outcome Measures
Physical function was assessed with the Western Ontario and McMaster Universities (WOMAC) physical function subscale, the timed Up and Go test, and the 40-meter self-paced walk test. Intensity of hip pain related to physical function was evaluated using the visual analog scale and WOMAC pain subscale. The maximal isometric force of hip muscles was recorded with a handheld dynamometer.
Significant group by time interactions were shown for physical function, pain, and hip muscle force variables. Post hoc tests revealed a significant reduction in hip pain and significant improvements in physical function and hip muscle strength in the DN group compared with the sham and control groups. The DN group showed within- and between-groups large effect sizes (d>0.8).
DN therapy in active MTrPs of the hip muscles reduced pain and improved hip muscle strength and physical function in patients with hip OA. DN in active MTrPs of the hip muscles should be considered for the management of hip OA.
List of abbreviations:40-m SPW (40-meter self-paced walk), ADL (activities of daily living), ANOVA (analysis of variance), CI (confidence interval), DN (dry needling), ICC (intraclass correlation coefficient), MCID (minimal clinically important difference), MTrP (myofascial trigger point), OA (osteoarthritis), TUG (timed Up and Go), VAS (visual analog scale), WOMAC (Western Ontario and McMaster Universities), WOMAC-P (Western Ontario and McMaster Universities physical pain subscale), WOMAC-PF (Western Ontario and McMaster Universities physical function subscale)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Burden of major musculoskeletal conditions.Bull World Health Organ. 2003; 81: 646-656
- Prevalence of radiographic and symptomatic hip osteoarthritis in an urban United States community: the Framingham osteoarthritis study.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2014; 66: 3013-3017
- Hip osteoarthritis.BMJ. 2016; 354: 1-10
- Osteoarthritis.Lancet. 2019; 393: 1745-1759
- Hip pain and mobility deficits-hip osteoarthritis: revision 2017.J Orthop Sport Phys Ther. 2017; 47: A1-37
- A 12-month prospective exploratory study of muscle and fat characteristics in individuals with mild-to-moderate hip osteoarthritis.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019; 20: 283
- Hip osteoarthritis: etiopathogenesis and implications for management.Adv Ther. 2016; 33: 1921-1946
- Association between muscle trigger points, ongoing pain, function, and sleep quality in elderly women with bilateral painful knee osteoarthritis.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2015; 38: 262-268
- A myofascial component of pain in knee osteoarthritis.J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2017; 21: 642-647
- Myofascial pain in patients waitlisted for total knee arthroplasty.Pain Res Manag. 2012; 17: 321-327
- Effects of dry needling in HIP muscles in patients with HIP osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial.Musculoskelet Sci Pract. 2019; 43: 76-82
- Diagnosis of myofascial pain syndrome.Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2014; 25: 341-355
- Muscle weakness in hip osteoarthritis: a systematic review.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2013; 65: 340-352
- Trigger point dry needling for the treatment of myofascial pain syndrome: current perspectives within a pain neuroscience paradigm.J Pain Res. 2019; 12: 1899-1911
- Trigger point acupuncture for treatmente of knee osteoarthritis. A preliminary RCT for a pragmatic trial.Acupunct Med. 2008; 26: 17-26
- Dry needling combined with physical therapy in patients with chronic postsurgical pain following total knee arthroplasty: a case series.J Orthop Sport Phys Ther. 2017; 47: 209-216
- Efficacy of myofascial trigger point dry needling in the prevention of pain after total knee arthroplasty: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013; 2013: 694941
- Effects of dry needling on pain, pressure pain threshold and psychological distress in patients with mild to moderate hip osteoarthritis: secondary analysis of a randomized controlled trial.Complement Ther Med. 2020; 51: 102443
- The American College of Rheumatology criteria for the classification and reporting of osteoarthritis of the hip.Arthritis Rheum. 1991; 34: 505-514
- Myofascial trigger points then and now: a historical and scientific perspective.PM R. 2015; 7: 746-761
- Test-retest reliability of myofascial trigger point detection in hip and thigh areas.J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2017; 21: 914-919
- The prevalence of latent trigger points in lower limb muscles in asymptomatic subjects.PM R. 2016; 8: 1055-1064
- Myofascial pain and dysfunction: the trigger point manual.2nd ed. Editorial Panamericana, Madrid2007
- Electrophysiological characteristics of localized twitch responses in responsive taut bands of rabbit skeletal muscle fibers.J Musculoskelet Pain. 1994; 2: 17-43
- Developing and validating a sham acupuncture needle.Acupunct. Med. 2009; 27: 118-122
- Can individuals identify if needling was performed with an acupuncture needle or a non-penetrating sham needle?.Complement Ther Med. 2008; 16: 288-294
- Effects of spray and stretch on postneedling soreness and sensitivity after dry needling of a latent myofascial trigger point.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 1925-19232.e1
- Validation of the Spanish version of the WOMAC questionnaire for patients with hip or knee osteoarthritis. Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index.Clin Rheumatol. 2002; 21: 466-471
- The timed “Up & Go”: a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991; 39: 142-148
- Measures of physical performance assessments: Self-Paced Walk Test (SPWT), Stair Climb Test (SCT), Six-Minute Walk Test (6MWT), Chair Stand Test (CST), Timed Up & Go (TUG), Sock Test, Lift and Carry Test (LCT), and Car Task.Arthritis Care Res. 2011; 63: S350-S370
- Test–retest reliability, validity, and minimum detectable change of visual analog, numerical rating, and verbal rating scales for measurement of osteoarthritic knee pain.J Pain Res. 2018; 11: 851-856
- Pain assessment in osteoarthritis: experience with the WOMAC osteoarthritis index.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 1989; 18: 14-17
- Intrarater test-retest reliability of hip range of motion and hip muscle strength measurements in persons with hip osteoarthritis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 1146-1154
- Assessing stability and change of four performance measures: a longitudinal study evaluating outcome following total hip and knee arthroplasty.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2005; 6: 3
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioral cciences.Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers, Hillsdale1988
- Clinical importance of changes in chronic pain intensity measured on an 11-point numerical pain rating scale.Pain. 2001; 94: 149-158
- Measurement properties of the WOMAC LK 3.1 pain scale.Osteoarthr Cartil. 2007; 15: 266-272
- Predictors of response to physical therapy intervention in patients with primary hip osteoarthritis.Phys Ther. 2011; 91: 510-524
- Smallest detectable and minimal clinically important differences of rehabilitation intervention with their implications for required sample sizes using WOMAC and SF-36 quality of life measurement instruments in patients with osteoarthritis of the lower extremities.Arthritis Rheum. 2001; 45: 384-391
- The effects of needling therapies on muscle force production. A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Orthop Sport Phys Ther. 2019; 49: 154-170
- Effectiveness of dry needling versus a classical physiotherapy program in patients with chronic low-back pain: a single-blind, randomized, controlled trial.J Phys Ther Sci. 2017; 29: 1502-1509
- Added value of gluteus medius and quadratus lumborum dry needling in improving knee pain and function in female athletes with patellofemoral pain syndrome: a randomized clinical trial.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 101: 265-274
- Decreased spontaneous electrical activity and acetylcholine at myofascial trigger spots after dry needling treatment: a pilot study.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2017; 2017: 3938191
- The influence of dry needling of the trapezius muscle on muscle blood flow and oxygenation.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2012; 35: 685-691
- Biochemicals associated with pain and inflammation are elevated in sites near to and remote from active myofascial trigger points.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 16-23
- Dry needling at myofascial trigger spots of rabbit skeletal muscles modulates the biochemicals associated with pain, inflammation, and hypoxia.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012; 2012: 342165
- Remote dose-dependent effects of dry needling at distant myofascial trigger spots of rabbit skeletal muscles on reduction of substance P levels of proximal muscle and spinal cords.Biomed Res Int. 2014; 2014: 982121
- The efficacy of pain neuroscience education on musculoskeletal pain: a systematic review of the literature.Physiother Theory Pract. 2016; 32: 332-355
- Prognosis of limitations in activities in osteoarthritis of the hip or knee: a 3-year cohort study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 91: 58-66
- Avoidance of activity and limitations in activities in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee: a 5 year follow-up study on the mediating role of reduced muscle strength.Osteoarthr Cartil. 2014; 22: 171-177
- Sit-to-stand performance depends on sensation, speed, balance, and psychological status in addition to strength in older people.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2002; 57: 539-543
- Depressed mood and body mass index as predictors of muscle strength decline in old men.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000; 48: 613-617
- 2018 EULAR recommendations for physical activity in people with inflammatory arthritis and osteoarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2018; 77: 1251-1260
- Novel use of ultrasound elastography to quantify muscle tissue changes after dry needling of myofascial trigger points in patients with chronic myofascial pain.J Ultrasound Med. 2015; 34: 2149-2161
- Novel applications of ultrasound technology to visualize and characterize myofascial trigger points and surrounding soft tissue.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 1829-1838
- Physical therapy for patients with knee and hip osteoarthritis: supervised, active treatment is current best practice.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2019; 37: 112-117
- Management of osteoarthritis of the hip.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2020; 28: e288-e291
Published online: February 07, 2021
Clinical Trial Registration No. NCT04195464.
© 2021 by the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine