Eye-hand coordination (EHC) is critical for activities of daily living. EHC is dependent on the integrity of multiple brain systems and therefore is often disrupted by central nervous system pathology. Impairments can occur in ocular motor, manual motor, or ocular-manual motor control, that is, eye, hand, or EHC. Impaired EHC affects visually guided actions, such as reaching, grasping, wielding tools, and manipulating objects. This is true in acute pathologies, such as stroke and neurotrauma, as well as more chronic neurodegenerative conditions, such as Parkinson disease.
- Cano S.J.
- Hobart J.C.
- Hart P.E.
- Korlipara L.V.P.
- Schapira A.H.V.
- Cooper J.M.
International Cooperative Ataxia Rating Scale (ICARS): appropriate for studies of Friedreich's ataxia?.
Mov Disord. 2005; 20: 1585-1591
- Kim B.R.
- Lim J.H.
- Lee S.A.
- et al.
Usefulness of the Scale for the Assessment and Rating of Ataxia (SARA) in ataxic stroke patients.
Ann Rehabil Med. 2011; 35: 772-780
- Perenin M.T.
- Vighetto A.
Optic ataxia: a specific disruption in visuomotor mechanisms. I. Different aspects of the deficit in reaching for objects.
Brain. 1988; 111: 643-674
- Andersen R.A.
- Andersen K.N.
- Hwang E.J.
- Hauschild M.
Optic ataxia: from Balint's syndrome to the parietal reach region.
Neuron. 2014; 81: 967-983
5Despite its clinical relevance, EHC is not often systematically assessed. Using 3 simple measures (fig 1), health care providers may rapidly identify and characterize deficits in EHC while also assessing visual function and eye and limb movement.
- Rodrigues M.R.M.
- Slimovitch M.
- Chilingaryan G.
- Levin M.F.
Does the Finger-to-Nose Test measure upper limb coordination in chronic stroke?.
J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2017; 14: 6
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- International Cooperative Ataxia Rating Scale (ICARS): appropriate for studies of Friedreich's ataxia?.Mov Disord. 2005; 20: 1585-1591
- Usefulness of the Scale for the Assessment and Rating of Ataxia (SARA) in ataxic stroke patients.Ann Rehabil Med. 2011; 35: 772-780
- Optic ataxia: a specific disruption in visuomotor mechanisms. I. Different aspects of the deficit in reaching for objects.Brain. 1988; 111: 643-674
- Optic ataxia: from Balint's syndrome to the parietal reach region.Neuron. 2014; 81: 967-983
- Does the Finger-to-Nose Test measure upper limb coordination in chronic stroke?.J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2017; 14: 6
- Rough guide to the Fugl-Meyer Assessment: upper limb section.Physiotherapy. 2003; 89: 751-763
Published online: December 09, 2020
© 2020 Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine