- •This was a single-blind randomized controlled trial, with 8 weeks of follow-up study.
- •Dual-task gait training was compared with gait training in Parkinson disease.
- •Training effects were evaluated in single- and dual-task conditions.
- •The dual-task training group demonstrated improved velocity, stride length, and double support time.
- •Dual-task training has a greater effect on single gait and visual dual-task gait.
Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:DT (dual-task), MANOVA (multivariate analysis of variance), PD (Parkinson disease), ST (single-task)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- A review of dual-task walking deficits in people with Parkinson’s disease: motor and cognitive contributions, mechanisms, and clinical implications.Parkinsons Dis. 2012; 2012: 918719
- Quantitative gait analysis in Parkinson’s disease: comparison with a healthy control group.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005; 86: 1007-1013
- Training dual tasks together or apart in Parkinson’s disease: results from the DUALITY trial.Mov Disord. 2017; 32: 1201-1210
- Does dual-task training improve spatiotemporal gait parameters in Parkinson’s disease?.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2018; 55: 86-91
- Single and dual task gait training in people with Parkinson’s disease: a protocol for a randomised controlled trial.BMC Neurol. 2011; 11: 90
- The effect of dividing attention between walking and auxiliary tasks in people with Parkinson’s disease.Hum Mov Sci. 2012; 31: 236-246
- Prioritizing gait in dual-task conditions in people with Parkinson’s.Hum Mov Sci. 2010; 29: 831-842
- A training program to improve gait while dual tasking in patients with Parkinson’s disease: a pilot study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 176-181
- Virtual reality for gait training: can it induce motor learning to enhance complex walking and reduce fall risk in patients with Parkinson’s disease?.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011; 66: 234-240
- Can people with Parkinson’s disease improve dual tasking when walking?.Gait Posture. 2010; 31: 229-233
- Validity and metric of MiniMental Parkinson and MiniMental State Examination in Parkinson’s disease.Neurol Sci. 2013; 34: 1751-1758
- respiratory muscle training for respiratory deficits in neurodegenerative disorders: a systematic review.Chest. 2013; 143: 1386-1394
- An individual rehabilitation program: evaluation by Parkinsonian patients and their physiotherapists.Rev Neurol (Paris). 2014; 170: 680-684
- Parkinson’s disease and intensive exercise therapy – a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Neurol Sci. 2015; 353: 9-19
- Exercise response in Parkinson’s disease: insights from a cross-sectional comparison with sedentary controls and a per-protocol analysis of a randomised controlled trial.BMJ Open. 2017; 7: e017194
- Effectiveness of home-based and remotely supervised aerobic exercise in Parkinson’s disease: a double-blind, randomised controlled trial.Lancet Neurol. 2019; 18: 998-1008
- Four-week trunk-specific exercise program decreases forward trunk flexion in Parkinson’s disease: a single-blinded, randomized controlled trial.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2019; 64: 268-274
- The development and validation of a short measure of functioning and well being for individuals with Parkinson’s disease.Qual Life Res. 1995; 4: 241-248
- Cognitive assessment instruments in Parkinson’s disease patients undergoing deep brain stimulation.Dement Neuropsychol. 2012; 6: 2-11
- How does explicit prioritization alter walking during dual-task performance? Effects of age and sex on gait speed and variability.Phys Ther. 2010; 90: 177-186
- ∗Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences.Behav Res Methods. 2007; 39: 175-191
- The effects of highly challenging balance training in elderly with Parkinson’s disease: a randomized controlled trial.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2015; 29: 827-836
- The effect of directing attention during walking under dual-task conditions in Parkinson’s disease.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2005; 11: 95-99
- Effects of physical rehabilitation integrated with rhythmic auditory stimulation on spatio-temporal and kinematic parameters of gait in Parkinson’s disease.Front Neurol. 2016; 7: 126
- Constraints on the kinetic, kinematic and spatiotemporal parameters of gait in Parkinson’s disease.Hum Mov Sci. 1999; 18: 461-483
- Motor learning in people with Parkinson’s disease: Implications for fall prevention across the disease spectrum.Gait Posture. 2018; 61: 311-319
- The effects of word length, articulation, oral-motor movement, and lexicality on gait: a pilot study.Gait Posture. 2012; 35: 691-693
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NCT04038866.