Main Outcome Measures
List of abbreviations:AIS (American Spinal Injury Association Impairment Scale), AT (assisted transfer), Cα (Cronbach’s alpha), CI (confidence interval), FIST (Function in Sitting Test), FIST-SCI (SCI version of the FIST), FSB (functional sitting balance), IC (internal consistency), ICC (intraclass correlational coefficient), IT (independent transfer), KGV (known-groups validity), LOI (level of injury), MAS-SCI (Motor Assessment Scale item 3), MDC (minimal detectable change), OM (outcome measure), SCI (spinal cord injury)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- clinical instruments for measuring unsupported sitting balance in subjects with spinal cord injury: a systematic review.Top Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2018; 24: 177-193
- Targeting recovery: priorities of the spinal cord-injured population.J Neurotrauma. 2004; 21: 1371-1383
- The relationship between sitting stability and functional performance in patients with paraplegia.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: 1276-1281
- Assessment of unsupported sitting in patients with spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2011; 49: 838-843
- Reliability of measurements obtained with a modified functional reach test in subjects with spinal cord injury.Phys Ther. 1998; 78: 128-133
- Development of valid and reliable measures of postural stability.J Spinal Cord Med. 2007; 30: 40-49
- Proposal and validation of a clinical trunk control test in individuals with spinal cord injury.Spinal Cord. 2014; 52: 449-454
- Validity and reliability of assessment tools for measuring unsupported sitting in people with a spinal cord injury.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 1571-1577
- Health related functional status in men with spinal cord injury: relationship with lesion level and endurance capacity.Spinal Cord. 2001; 39: 577-583
- Current state of balance assessment during transferring, sitting, standing and walking activities for the spinal cord injured population: a systematic review.J Spinal Cord Med. 2018; 43: 10-23
- Outcome measure recommendations from the Spinal Cord Injury EDGE Task Force.Phys Ther. 2016; 96: 1832-1842
Audu ML, Murphy JO, Triolo RJ. Trunk stability after spinal cord injury. Paper presented at: 17th Annual Meeting of the International Functional Electrical Stimulation Society; September 9-12, 2012; Banff, Alberta, Canada. Available at: http://ifess2012.com/submissions/attachments/mlaudu/112_2012-06-27_10-29-34_ifessabstract-final4b.pdf. Accessed August 19, 2020.
- Overground vs. treadmill-based robotic gait training to improve seated balance in people with motor-complete spinal cord injury: a case report.J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2017; 14: 27
- Development and validation of the Function In Sitting Test in adults with acute stroke.J Neurol Phys Ther. 2010; 34: 150-160
- Examining the function in sitting test for validity, responsiveness, and minimal clinically important difference in inpatient rehabilitation.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 2304-2311
- Reliability of the Function in Sitting Test (FIST).Rehabil Res Pract. 2014; 2014: 593280
- Reliability and validity of the function in sitting test among non-ambulatory individuals with spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2019 Apr 18; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Assessment of postural muscle strength in sitting: reliability of measures obtained with hand-held dynamometry in individuals with spinal cord injury.J Neurol Phys Ther. 2010; 34: 24-31
- Reliability and validity of the function in sitting test in nonambulatory individuals with multiple sclerosis.Int J Rehabil Res. 2016; 39: 308-312
- Statistics notes: Cronbach's alpha.BMJ. 1997; 314: 572
- Investigation of a new motor assessment scale for stroke patients.Phys Ther. 1985; 65: 175-180
- Rehabilitation research, principles and applications. 3rd ed.Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia2005
- Understanding internal consistency reliability estimates: a conceptual primer on coefficient alpha.Meas Eval Couns Dev. 2001; 34: 177-189
- Intraclass correlation coefficients: clearing the air, extending some cautions, and making some requests.Health Serv Outcome Res Meth. 2016; 17: 127-143
- Forming inferences about some intraclass correlation coefficients..Psychol Methods. 1996; 1: 30-46
- Foundations of clinical research: applications to practice. 3rd ed.Pearson Education, Upper Saddle River2009
- The kappa statistic in reliability studies: use, interpretation, and sample size requirements.Phys Ther. 2005; 85: 257-268
- High incidence of falls and fall-related injuries in wheelchair users with spinal cord injury: a prospective study of risk indicators.J Rehabil Med. 2017; 49: 144-151
- Understanding the minimum clinically important difference: a review of concepts and methods.Spine J. 2007; 7: 541-546
Supported by the University of Miami School of Medicine Department of Physical Therapy, The Craig H. Neilsen Foundation Allied Health Professional Award of ASIA (GR012004), and the Foundation for Physical Therapy Research Promotion of Doctoral Studies Scholarship I.
Disclosures: Anne E. Palermo received funding from the Craig H. Neilsen Foundation and the Foundation for Physical Therapy Research. The other authors have nothing to disclose.