- •Interactions between cognitive and motor recovery after stroke is still neglected.
- •Patients with concurrent motor and language deficit (aphasia) were investigated.
- •An additive interaction between motor and language improvements emerged.
- •35% patients showed a significant simultaneous improvement in both functions.
- •The 2 functions could grounds on the same mechanisms in the recovery process.
Main Outcome Measure
List of abbreviations:AAT (Aachen Aphasia Test), IRF (inpatient rehabilitation facility), MCID (minimal clinically important difference), M-FIM (motor FIM), OT (occupational therapy), PT (physical therapy), SLT (speech and language therapy), T-FIM (total FIM), TPO (time post onset, days from stroke onset to admission)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- The Lausanne Stroke Registry: analysis of 1,000 consecutive patients with first stroke.Stroke. 1988; 19: 1083-1092
- Aphasia after stroke: type, severity and prognosis.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2004; 17: 35-43
- Stroke aphasia: 1,500 consecutive cases.Cerebrovasc Dis. 2011; 31: 392-399
- Motor recovery after stroke: a systematic review.Lancet Neurol. 2009; 8: 741-754
- Variability in recovery from aphasia.Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2008; 8: 497-502
- Neuroplasticity of language networks in aphasia: advances, updates and future challenges.Front Neurol. 2019; 10: 295
- Adaptive plasticity in the healthy language network: implications for language recovery after stroke.Neural Plast. 2016; 2016: 9674790
- Task-induced brain activity in aphasic stroke patients: what is driving recovery?.Brain. 2014; 137: 2632-2648
- Aphasia recovery: when, how and who to treat?.Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2018; 18: 90
- Language recovery following stroke.Clin Neuropsychol. 2019; 33: 928-947
- Transcranial direct current stimulation in post-stroke aphasia rehabilitation: a systematic review.Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 2019; 62: 104-121
- Speech and language therapy for aphasia following stroke.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 6: CD000425
- Action observation as a tool for neurorehabilitation to moderate motor deficits and aphasia following stroke.Neural Regen Res. 2012; 7: 2063
- People with aphasia: capacity to consent, research participation and intervention inequalities.Int J Stroke. 2013; 8: 193-196
- Functional outcome in stroke inpatient rehabilitation: predicting no, low and high response patients.Cerebrovasc Dis. 1998; 8: 228-234
- Aphasia assessment and functional outcome prediction in patients with aphasia after stroke.J Neurol. 2011; 258: 343-349
- Motor recovery in post-stroke patients with aphasia: the role of specific linguistic abilities.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2017; 24: 428-434
- Predicting outcome after stroke: the role of aphasia.Disabil Rehabil. 2011; 33: 122-129
- Language as a predictor of motor recovery: the case for a more global approach to stroke rehabilitation.Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2019; 33: 167-178
- On data-limited and resource-limited processes.Cogn Psychol. 1975; 7: 44-64
- Toward the integration of resource allocation into a general theory of aphasia.Clin Aphasiol. 1991; 20: 21-39
- A possible explanation of problem-solving deficits based on resource allocation theory.Aphasiology. 1993; 7: 165-175
- Auditory processing in individuals with mild aphasia: a study of resource allocation.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 1997; 40: 792-808
- Recovery of motor and language abilities after stroke: the contribution of functional imaging.Prog Neurobiol. 2002; 66: 109-122
- Dynamics of language reorganization after stroke.Brain. 2006; 129: 1371-1384
- Inadvertent recovery in communication deficits following the upper limb mirror therapy in stroke: a case report.J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2014; 18: 566-568
- Language changes coincide with motor and fMRI changes following upper extremity motor therapy for hemiparesis: a brief report.Brain Imaging Behav. 2014; 8: 370-377
- Robotic arm rehabilitation in chronic stroke patients with aphasia may promote speech and language recovery (but effect is not enhanced by supplementary tDCS).Front Neurol. 2018; 9: 853
- Determinants of concurrent motor and language recovery during intensive therapy in chronic stroke patients: four single-case studies.Front Neurol. 2015; 6: 215
- The functional independence measure: a new tool for rehabilitation.Adv Clin Rehabil. 1987; 1: 6-18
- Aachener Aphasie Test (AAT), Italian version.2nd ed. Organizzazioni Speciali, Firenze1996
- Raven’s coloured progressive matrices: normative values on 305 adult normal controls.Funct Neurol. 1987; 2: 189-194
- A simple test of visual neglect.Neurology. 1973; 23: 658-664
- The Bells test: a quantitative and qualitative test for visual neglect.Int J Clin Neuropsychol. 1989; 11: 49-54
- Standardizzazione e taratura italiana di test neuropsicologici.Ital J Neurol Sci. 1987; 6: 1-120
- Determination of the minimal clinically important difference in the FIM instrument in patients with stroke.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2006; 87: 32-39
- Language features in the acute phase of poststroke severe aphasia could predict the outcome.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2017; 53: 249-255