- •Twelve weeks of aquatic cycling training improved self-reported physical functioning and knee pain in patients with mild-to-moderate osteoarthritis.
- •The posttreatment group differences in physical functioning and knee pain were secured for at least 3 months.
- •The aquatic cycling group showed a short-term improvement in disease-specific quality of life after a 12-week aquatic cycling training program.
- •Attendance of sessions was high (>80%) indicating adequate tolerance.
Main Outcome Measures
Lists of abbreviations:AC (aquatic cycling), CI (confidence interval), ES (effect size), KOOS (Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score questionnaire), MUMC+ (Maastricht University Medical Center+), OA (osteoarthritis), QoL (quality of life), RCT (randomized controlled trial), TUG (timed Up and Go test), UC (usual care), 6MWT (6-Minute Walk Test)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Exercise for osteoarthritis of the knee.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 1 (CD004376)
- Effect of therapeutic aquatic exercise on symptoms and function associated with lower limb osteoarthritis: systematic review with meta-analysis.Phys Ther. 2014; 94: 1383-1395
- Aquatic exercise for the treatment of knee and hip osteoarthritis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 3 (CD005523)
- The effects of high-intensity and low-intensity cycle ergometry in older adults with knee osteoarthritis.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1999; 54: 184-190
- The effects of group cycling on gait and pain-related disability in individuals with mild-to-moderate knee osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2012; 42: 985-995
- Aquatic circuit training including aqua-cycling in patients with knee osteoarthritis: a feasibility study.J Rehabil Med. 2015; 47: 376-381
- Aquatic cycling-What do we know? A scoping review on head-out aquatic cycling.PLoS One. 2017; 12 (e0177704)
- Effect of aqua-cycling on pain and physical functioning compared with usual care in patients with knee osteoarthritis: study protocol of a randomised controlled trial.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016; 17: 88
- Comparison of daily, weekly or monthly pain assessments in hip and knee osteoarthritis. A 29-day prospective study.Joint Bone Spine. 2011; 78: 510-515
- Radiological assessment of osteo-arthrosis.Ann Rheum Dis. 1957; 16: 494-502
- Prevalence of anxiety and depression in osteoarthritis: use of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale as a screening tool.Clin Rheumatol. 2010; 29: 1277-1283
- The Dutch Lower Extremity Functional Scale was highly reliable, valid and responsive in individuals with hip/knee osteoarthritis: a validation study.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2012; 13: 117
- Outcome variables for osteoarthritis clinical trials: the OMERACT-OARSI set of responder criteria.J Rheumatol. 2003; 30: 1648-1654
- Reliability and validity of the short questionnaire to assess health-enhancing physical activity (SQUASH) in patients after total hip arthroplasty.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2008; 9: 141
- The SQUASH was a more valid tool than the OBiN for categorizing adults according to the Dutch physical activity and the combined guideline.J Clin Epidemiol. 2012; 65: 73-81
- SF-36 physical and mental health summary scales : a user's manual.Health Institute, New England Medical Center, Boston1994
- Psychometric properties of the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia and the fear-avoidance beliefs questionnaire in acute low back pain.Man Ther. 2003; 8: 29-36
- Group education for patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Patient Educ Couns. 1993; 20: 177-187
- Two-, six-, and 12-minute walking tests in respiratory disease.Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1982; 284: 1607-1608
- Reliability of the six-minute walk test in people with fibromyalgia.Arthritis Care Res. 2000; 13: 291-295
- Performance measures provide assessments of pain and function in people with advanced osteoarthritis of the hip or knee.Phys Ther. 2006; 86: 1489-1496
- Relationship between timed 'up and go' and gait time in an elderly orthopaedic rehabilitation population.Clin Rehabil. 2000; 14: 96-101
- The reliability of isokinetic and isometric leg strength measures among individuals with symptoms of mild osteoarthritis.J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2006; 46: 585-589
- Comorbidity, limitations in activities and pain in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2008; 9: 95
- The Knee injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS): from joint injury to osteoarthritis.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2003; 1: 64
- Smallest detectable and minimal clinically important differences of rehabilitation intervention with their implications for required sample sizes using WOMAC and SF-36 quality of life measurement instruments in patients with osteoarthritis of the lower extremities.Arthritis Rheum. 2001; 45: 384-391
- Aquatic physical therapy for hip and knee osteoarthritis: results of a single-blind randomized controlled trial.Phys Ther. 2007; 87: 32-43
- Prognostic factors for progression of clinical osteoarthritis of the knee: a systematic review of observational studies.Arthritis Res Ther. 2015; 17: 152
- Linear mixed models for longitudinal data.Springer-Verlag, New York2000
- Physiotherapy in hip and knee osteoarthritis: development of a practice guideline concerning initial assessment, treatment and evaluation.Acta Reumatol Port. 2011; 36: 268-281
- Effect of aquatic interval training with Mediterranean diet counseling in obese patients: results of a preliminary study.Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 2015; 58: 269-275
- Endurance training in MS: short-term immune responses and their relation to cardiorespiratory fitness, health-related quality of life, and fatigue.J Neurol. 2013; 260: 2993-3001
- The role of muscle strengthening in exercise therapy for knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-regression analysis of randomized trials.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2017; 47: 9-21
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of lower limb neuromuscular alterations associated with knee osteoarthritis during level walking.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2013; 28: 713-724
- The important predictors of cycling use in three groups of knee patients.Disabil Rehabil. 2011; 33: 1925-1929
- Biomechanical considerations for cycling interventions in rehabilitation.Phys Ther. 2007; 87: 1243-1252
- Ergometer cycling after hip or knee replacement surgery: a randomized controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010; 92: 814-822
- Role of osteoarthritis, comorbidity, and pain in determining functional limitations in older populations: European Project on Osteoarthritis.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2016; 68: 801-810
- Self-reported physical functioning was more influenced by pain than performance-based physical functioning in knee-osteoarthritis patients.J Clin Epidemiol. 2006; 59: 724-731
- Performance measures were necessary to obtain a complete picture of osteoarthritic patients.J Clin Epidemiol. 2006; 59: 160-167
- Effects of high intensity resistance aquatic training on body composition and walking speed in women with mild knee osteoarthritis: a 4-month RCT with 12-month follow-up.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2017; 25: 1238-1246
- Exercise for osteoarthritis of the knee: a Cochrane systematic review.Br J Sports Med. 2015; 49: 1554-1557
- Aquatic therapy: scientific foundations and clinical rehabilitation applications.PM R. 2009; 1: 859-872
- Exploratory randomized controlled trial evaluating the impact of a waiting list control design.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2013; 13: 150
Supported by The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (grant no. 022.003.036 ). The Maastricht University Medical Center+ financed the cycling equipment. None of these organizations played a role during any stage of the trial: the execution, analyses, or the reporting.
Clinical Trial Registration No.: NTR3766